America First

Default Gore Vidal

We cannot allow the natural passions and prejudices of other peoples
to lead our country to destruction.

-Charles A. Lindbergh
http://www.fff.org/freedom/0495c.asp

Old June 27th, 2013 #2
Solskeniskyn

Last edited by Solskeniskyn; June 27th, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Old June 27th, 2013 #3
Togar mah

The only person who publicly predicted 9/11

Old June 27th, 2013 #4
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Gore Vidal: The Last Jeffersonian

His enemies knew why they hated him

by Justin Raimondo, August 03, 2012

The obituaries are coming in, and as usual they are filled with the trite things Americans are obsessed with: Gore Vidal’s sexuality, his "coldness," his feuds, his quips. Andrew Sullivan is typical – and isn’t that typical – in ascribing what he views as Vidal’s flaws to his lack of support for gay marriage and his "anti-American" utterances. Commentary magazine celebrated the great man’s death by posting Norman Podhoretz’s interminable rant, first published in 1986, accusing Vidal of … yes, you guessed it: anti-Semitism. The evidence? Describing Podhoretz and his wife Midge as "Israeli fifth columnists," a charge that, in retrospect, seems more like an undeserved compliment: after all, a "fifth columnist" is something like a spy, a profession that hinges on the clandestine, but Poddy’s big mouth – which he opens at every opportunity – has hardly made a secret of his allegiances.

Aside from Vidal’s disdain for the kind of identity politics that gives a nonentity a hook on which to hang his bonnet, Sullivan is appalled by what is perhaps Vidal’s most interesting book. The Golden Age dramatizes the fascinating historical research published in Thomas E. Mahl’s Desperate Deception: British Covert Operations in the United States, 1939-44. Mahl’s 1998 book is based on declassified documents that tell some of the story of how British intelligence agents permeated the political and social elites in Washington and New York, pushed a reluctant "isolationist" America into war – and put us on the road to empire.

Sullivan, still the loyal subject of Her Majesty the Queen, is horrified by this, but it’s not just the British angle that sets Andy’s skirts aflame – it’s the very idea that anyone in their right mind would question the official history of our entry into World War II. In Sullivan’s world, this makes him a "Pearl Harbor truther." To the historian, however, who isn’t just a court historian – and to the serious person, as opposed to court jesters of Sullivan’s ilk – this makes him that most exotic of creatures: a truth-seeker. Rarer than unicorns in our media-driven propaganda-drenched Twitterverse, the loss of this one marks a turning point in American intellectual history – a downturn, to be sure. As I put it in my 2001 review of The Golden Age:

"Gore Vidal is a member of what seems to be a nearly extinct fraternity: the American novelists of ideas. When he goes, who is left – and what hope is there that someone will breach the walls of political correctness meant to keep his kind out forever?"

His enemies understood him, which is why they hated him – and couldn’t help admiring him. The neocons hated him because he was a formidable opponent of their imperial project: they never forgave him when he called them out for their treasonous tribalism. The liberals, who thought he was one of them, were made increasingly uneasy by his public utterances, as detailed in this very perceptive account of Vidal’s career by Michael Lind, who describes his attendance at a speech by Vidal given at the Woodrow Wilson Center in the late 1990s:

"Soon I found myself as uncomfortable as the other members of the auditorium audience, when, during his speech, Vidal launched into what sounded like a defense of Timothy McVeigh, the far-right would-be revolutionary whose bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City in 1995 was the most devastating terrorist attack on American soil before the al-Qaeda attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. While not exactly condoning McVeigh, Vidal told us that a violent reaction was inevitable, given the way that the federal government was oppressing American farmers.

"I could sense that others in the audience shared my disquiet. The farmers? What the hell is he talking about?"

To the Washingtonian patricians who grace such events, farmers and other ordinary Americans are alien creatures whose fate is of little if any concern. The farmers? Who the f*ck cares about them? To statist ideologues and other creatures of Washington’s black lagoon, the very idea of individual farmers is "reactionary," to use one of Lind’s favorite epithets.

Yet to be as fair to Lind as he is to Vidal, he is quite correct when, in a eureka moment, he divines that "Gore Vidal has turned into his grandfather."

"Vidal," writes Lind, "had always insisted that to understand him it was helpful to understand his grandfather, Thomas Gore (1870-1949). Blind from an early age, Thomas Gore served as Democratic senator from Oklahoma twice, from 1907-1921 and again from 1931-1937. A populist in the tradition of Jefferson and Jackson, Sen. Gore was a maverick who did not hesitate to take on his own party. He voted against President Woodrow Wilson’s call for U.S. entry into World War I and he voted against President Franklin Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration. In the light of Jeffersonian ideology, each of these votes made sense as efforts to preserve the American republic from the evils of empire and the welfare state."

Unfortunately, Lind insists on mounting his ideological hobbyhorse, and brings in a totally irrelevant comparison to Ignatius Donnelly, and none other than William Hope Harvey, whose didactic and excruciatingly boring "novels" on monetary theory were a late nineteenth century populist phenomenon. Donnelly was a minor Populist party politician of the same era, whose most notable work is Atlantis: the Antediluvian World. Lind’s condescending tone throughout the review is typical of what one might overhear at a Georgetown cocktail party: he isn’t quite sure Vidal’s fiction output is really all that "literary," or if it’s really literature at all but rather a series of didactic manifestos in the style of Coin’s Financial School.

Once he dismounts his various hobbyhorses, however, Lind can be penetratingly perceptive:

"The academic literati do not hold either Vidal or Solzhenitsyn in high esteem — but neither wrote to be read by what Vidal described as ‘the scholar-squirrels.’ If you think that the political and journalistic establishments are corrupt and that fiction provides you with a way to bring your message directly to the public, you are going to write your didactic fiction in a traditional, accessible style that ordinary citizens can understand, not in an avant-garde style that only graduate students in literature can decipher. Other Nation columnists wrote about the masses. Gore Vidal wrote for them.

"And they loved him for it. Growing up in Texas, I marveled at the way that suburban conservatives who would not read any other fiction would buy the latest Gore Vidal novel. But if you think of Vidal as a populist, it makes sense. He was giving them the inside scoop about American history, the scandalous true story, not the patriotic pablum they were taught in school. The fact that he had grown up as a member of the Washington establishment (as he never ceased reminding his readers and viewers) gave him credibility as he carried out his revisionist project of exposing the secret history of the United States. What Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged are to libertarians, Vidal’s historical novels have been to middlebrow Middle America."

Us poor middlebrows, doomed to live in the Great Middle of the country amid the fast-disintegrating middle class: will we never disabuse ourselves of our middlebrowed prejudices against neo-royalist empire-builders who don’t believe in the existence of farmers and think they can rule the world? Against all the strictures of patrician good taste and political correctness, we read Gore Vidal and keep our "reactionary" faith in the Jeffersonian vision Lind deplores.

As a novelist, Vidal’s great achievement was his "Narratives of Empire" series, which dramatizes what Lind calls a "revisionist" view of American history and I would simply describe as clear-eyed. The overarching theme of this heptalogy is the long, slow degeneration of what had been the world’s freest republic into a vast and corrupted empire. His portraits of historical figures – the grasping, manipulative FDR, the bullying Churchill, the syphilitic Lincoln – constitute a veritable shooting gallery of the Vital Center’s pantheon of heroes. This earned him the enmity of both left and right.

Unlike Lind, I don’t marvel at the way us "middlebrows" snatched up the latest Gore Vidal novel, and I won’t be surprised to see his posthumously published works shoot to the top of the bestseller list. That’s because the power of what Vidal represented – not the "ranting" of a Southern populist, as Lind would have it, but the sharp dissent of an American original and a literary giant, whose oeuvre will be remembered – and read – long after the journalistic twitterings of his critics are justly forgotten.
http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...-jeffersonian/

Old June 27th, 2013 #5
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Excellent Queermondo piece on Vidal. Thanks for reposting it.

Old June 27th, 2013 #6
Solskeniskyn

Thanks Leonard.

This is a very thorough outline on his historical fiction series "American chronicles", one that has to be read on site because it is too long to sax:

http://mises.org/daily/6144/Gore-Vidal-and-Revisi

Last edited by Solskeniskyn; June 27th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Old June 27th, 2013 #7
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Rouse View Post
Excellent Queermondo piece on Vidal. Thanks for reposting it.
Seconded. Good stuff, especially the evisceration of "middlebrow"-sniffing fag Lind.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old June 28th, 2013 #8
America First

Anti-Whites in all their various shades hated him and did not read him any more than the war mongering patriotards and evanjellyculls.

-Charles A. Lindbergh

Old June 28th, 2013 #9
Togar mah

Quote:
"A characteristic of our present chaos is the dramatic migration of tribes. They are on the move from east to west, from south to north. Liberal tradition requires that borders must always be open to those in search of safety or even the pursuit of happiness. But now with so many millions of people on the move, even the great-hearted are becoming edgy. Norway is large enough and empty enough to take in 40 to 50 million homeless Bengalis. If the Norwegians say that, all in all, they would rather not take them in, is this to be considered racism? I think not. It is simply self-preservation, the first law of species.”
Gore Vidal

Old June 28th, 2013 #10
Togar mah

Old June 28th, 2013 #11
White Winger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togar mah View Post
Gore Vidal

But he made far more anti-White statements( In the Leftist tradition ) than pro ones( Ours ). Why else would he vote for boybama? He was just another White Guilt Leftist.

When he says hypothetical things like that about Finland, he's not saying it as pro-White.

Old June 28th, 2013 #12
Solskeniskyn

This short essay is a good one:

Quote:
...Since spades may not be called spades in freedom’s land, let me spell it all out. In order to get military and economic support for Israel, a small number of American Jews, who should know better, have made common cause with every sort of reactionary and anti-Semitic group in the United States, from the corridors of the Pentagon to the TV studios of the evangelical Jesus-Christers. To show that their hearts are in the far-right place, they call themselves neoconservatives, and attack the likes of Mailer and me, all in the interest of supporting the likes of Sharon and Israel as opposed to the Peace Now Israelis whom they disdain. There is real madness here; mischief too.

http://peoplesgeography.com/2009/10/...s-strike-back/

Old June 28th, 2013 #13
Togar mah

At times, Gore Vidal considered himself a conservative. I think he was more of a progressive populist from a bygone era, rather than a leftist gay icon. Like his grandfather (pictured below), he was a supporter in the interests of farmers. Hated and misunderstood by many. He learned very early...
This is my favorite picture of him.

The Blind Cowboy

Old June 28th, 2013 #14
America First

All NPR, and hard core leftist's/joo's I ever met along with feminist loathed him, or hated him.

His anti White statements were a part of the sea he swam in and if he had not uttered some anti White statements, his researched writing would never have been heard.

His predications on the USSA and the USSR in around 1982 were correct.

He knew the lies of the last hundred years.

As for Solzhenitsyn, rank and file joo's will snear if you mention his name.

enuff said.

-Charles A. Lindbergh

Last edited by America First; June 28th, 2013 at 12:02 PM.

Old June 28th, 2013 #15
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togar mah View Post
At times, Gore Vidal considered himself a conservative. I think he was more of a progressive populist from a bygone era, rather than a leftist gay icon. Like his grandfather (pictured below), he was a supporter in the interests of farmers. Hated and misunderstood by many. He learned very early...
This is my favorite picture of him.

The Blind Cowboy
That's a good picture.

Old June 28th, 2013 #16
Solskeniskyn

Even as a very old man, Vidal was capable of delivering elegant truths and perceptive analysis whilst defusing and humiliating arrogant and aggressive talk-show hosts:

Old June 29th, 2013 #17
America First

There many items any of us can disagree with Vidal on, but their is much for us to be gleamed from his writings, that the regime writers have never dared to state.

He did wipe the floor with McCain, and he properly sweeps the floor with Capote.

The interviewer is trully stupid.

Gore Vidal lived in Italy in the same town, than American poet/son from Idaho who went to live his last years in after being tortured here in 1959.

Sadly, most Whites today, are too brain washed to understand this, but I hope I am completely wrong.

I believe Vidal, played the p.c. card to get some truth to our brain washed people.

-Charles A. Lindbergh

Last edited by America First; June 29th, 2013 at 02:36 AM.

Old June 29th, 2013 #18
White Winger

His anti-White statements were part of the sea he swam in, and had he not uttered some anti-White statements, his researched writing would never have been heard

I believe Vidal, played the p.c. card to get some truth to our brain washed people
.[/QUOTE]

Then, knowing he didn't have a lot of time left, he should have spewed some badass, anti-nigger,anti-jew/israel statements for last, as he had nothing to lose by then.
------------------------------------------------

PRO-WHITE RENAISSANCE NOW

Last edited by White Winger; July 2nd, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

Thread