Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 12th, 2018 #1
Skinhead Zack

Default Div-uh-shitty awareness instructor can teach your kid to be inclusive.

How To Teaching Your Kid To Be Inclusive, According To A Diversity Awareness Instructor

By Ambrosia Brody 3 days ago

Quote:
Eight thousand Starbucks stores closed on May 29 for "racial bias" training, often referred to as "diversity awareness" training, after two black men were arrested in April for simply waiting in a Philadelphia Starbucks for a friend to arrive (Starbucks issued an apology following the incident). At this point, you wonder if all of America could do with a primer on diversity and inclusiveness, as has become the norm in workplaces across the country. Beyond that, tolerance and respect are being explicitly taught to children — lessons I started with my children before they went to school.

Growing up in Los Angeles, California, I was lucky to have a diverse group of friends. I learned to respect their different religions, cultural traditions, and political views. Teaching my girls to embrace differences in others has been a responsibility that I take very seriously.

And if you think babies are born free of racist tendencies, you would be wrong. A study published in Developmental Science found that infants associated happy music with faces of own-race people, and sad music with faces of other races. Infants also preferred to look at faces from their own race, as found in a study published in Current Directions in Psychological Science.

But how do I teach my children to be accepting of others? To find out, I spoke to a diversity awareness instructor.

Chris McGrath/Getty Images News/Getty Images

Chad Nico Hiu serves as director of diversity and inclusion at the YMCA, and says it’s never too early to start nurturing those concepts.

“In order to foster true inclusion, we must begin with a genuine and unwavering belief that all people deserve to be treated equally and have the opportunity to reach their fullest potential with dignity,” Hiu tells Romper.

AS A MOM, THERE HAVE BEEN MANY INSTANCES WHEN I SAID SOMETHING THAT I WISH I COULD TAKE BACK THE SECOND THE WORDS LEFT MY MOUTH.
He says that it's most important to encourage your kids to be curious about other cultures and communities, and to model that approach to life.

“Much of what children and adults remember about diversity comes more from interactions and experiences, [more] than from presentations, handouts or even YouTube videos,” Hiu says. “In classroom and co-curricular settings, consistent reinforcement that differences and diversity make us stronger and are to be celebrated, not feared are crucial.”

Hence the need for representation and for guidance around navigating our own feelings of difference. Hiu's remark also echoes the finding by the Harvard Business Review that diversity programs often "fail" because they are prescriptive, and employees don't feel ownership over the initiatives — rather, they rebel against the directive to hire minorities or sit through training seminars (sound like kids, much?).

They found, however, that you could get positive results by doing three things: "engage managers in solving the problem, expose them to people from different groups, and encourage social accountability for change." These are concepts that you could of course apply to kids, who love to be given responsibility over decisions, and to be involved in conversations.

“Youth today are often hyper-observant of all adults around them, from parents/guardians to adults they come into contact with in any area of their daily lives,” says Hiu.

Practicing what we preach can be difficult at times. As a mom, there have been many instances when I said something that I wish I could take back the second the words left my mouth. My daughters listen to everything! They are coy in that way as they stare out the car window or play on their Kindles as me and my husband talk during car rides. That’s where I slip up, discussing politics in terms of “us” versus “them," or tossing off an insensitive comment. And I’m always shocked when my daughter will cut in mid-conversation with a follow-up question to a statement she was not meant to hear. “Why does [insert country] food taste gross, Mom? I don’t think I like it either.” Mom fail.

Aside from my personal slip-ups, I also worry about the effect others have on my children. I’m not with my children all day since they attend preschool and kindergarten five days a week, and although their teachers have been wonderful about teaching them to be inclusive and treat others with respect, it's strangers that worry me. An adult who stares at a child with a disability while in line at the market or a mom who frowns at a little boy wearing a dress and nail polish in Target. Those are the actions that concern me because kids notice everything — and I just hope I’m handling them the right way.

Hiu says the way we react in these situations is crucial to imparting inclusiveness to our kids.

“Reflect on your inclusiveness and what your children are seeing, especially when you are in spaces or communities where you are unfamiliar,” he says.

YOU CAN BE INCLUSIVE EVEN IF YOU DON’T AGREE WITH A PERSON’S VIEWPOINT OR BELIEF.

He recommends taking children to cultural celebrations, community activities and restaurants that are outside the norms of what your family may be used to. Making a deliberate effort to create relationships with people who may come from a different background is a good way to chip away at a kid's ideas about who they relate to. If your social circle is homogenous, you might have to put in a bit of work to expand it. You can also use the many brilliant children's books out there to broaden their exposure to the world.

A key point to remember when teaching diversity is that you can be inclusive even if you don’t agree with a person’s viewpoint or belief. The goal is to find empathy and compassion for others, and aim to respect your differences.

Attending Special Olympics events, discussing different cultures and religions, and explaining why some boys marry boys, why some women wear head scarves, and why some classmates do not participate in Christmas-themed activities are things we’ve done and will continue to do.

But I understand that to teach and instill these core beliefs of respecting others is to put it into practice in my daily life, which means I need to lead by example. That means acknowledging that sometimes I can be insensitive, that sometimes even moms and dads get it wrong, and, rather than pretending that there aren't differences, acknowledging and accepting people with various identities.

In Los Angeles, my girls have friends of various races and have never asked why someone's skin is darker or lighter, or why some of the mom's who drop off their children at school wear a hijab. They love Ellen DeGeneres and her wife Portia DeRossi, and understand that some of their friends do not eat meat due to religious beliefs.

They're well on the way. I think the bulk of the work now sits with me and my fussy palate: tonight, I might try to eat that cuisine I said I hated, and see if its the food, or just me.

https://www.romper.com/p/how-to-teac...or-9016327/amp

Old June 12th, 2018 #2
Skinhead Zack

Default "Diversity" is destroying America and Europe

Old June 13th, 2018 #3
Skinhead Zack

Quote:
Yes, we need more diversity on boards – and that isn’t anti-white men

Jazial Crossley | Guest writer

New Zealand has a diversity problem in governance and business leadership. That is just a fact, argues Jazial Crossley.

Only 19% of NZX directors are female. Only one company on the NZX 50 currently has a woman chief executive.

This is not a New Zealand problem – just 4% of Fortune 500 companies have women CEOs. These dire stats don’t inspire our young ambitious New Zealand women to feel optimistic about their chances of getting in to governance. It tells them being a woman on a board will be a struggle because they’ll be in the minority and their success is unlikely, but putting our pipeline of future female talent off their ideas of governance could have really troubling negative impacts in the long run.

Last year, I wrote my MBA thesis on whether mentoring was a useful tool for preparing more Kiwi women for governance. I looked at the current situation, interviewed a bunch of high profile women who were already on boards, and considered the role of mentoring in developing more who have an interest in (and capability for) governance.

All kinds of diversity such as measures of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, socio-economic background, physical ability and more should be represented throughout businesses, including at leadership levels and in governance. As one of the women I interviewed for my research said, “If your boards are full of – sorry – old white men, it’s not good. That’s not diversity.”

My focus on women was just to keep the research tightly focused. It allowed it to clearly relate back to previous research in the field and respond to NZX reporting on that specific measure. That didn’t mean I think getting more women on boards is any more or less important than improving balance of all genders and other forms of diversity.

One of the women I interviewed said men don’t want to step down their own positions on boards in order to make way for a newer, more diverse generation of directors to come through. “Men certainly don’t want to give up something for women or to make room at board table for women. Now there are no more excuses of, ‘oh, women aren’t qualified’. They are, they’re here, so now what are you going to do about it?”

(It was a condition of my research that interview subjects remain anonymous, so I can’t name them.)

One interviewee said, “I dispute the concept of ‘but there’s not enough good women out there’ – that’s bullshit. There are amazing women out there. For various reasons and probably unconscious bias they are overlooked.”

Another told me the chairs of our boards, who are mainly men, just don’t care enough about diversity. “As a country we don’t care enough. If we said we’re not going to invest in these companies, we’re going to call it out all the time, they’d do something about it. Most of these companies do have at least one woman on the board because of the pressure, but they’ve done their thing of one. [Equality] on boards hasn’t happened because there is insufficient will to make it happen.”

Another who was shoulder tapped for most of her other board appointments said she suspected she was appointed to one board because of her gender. It was a male dominated board wanting to improve its diversity. “But I’m alright with that – boys have been doing that forever, boys are always giving jobs to boys. I do have the relevant skills.” Another said she got her first appointment because she was “just in front of them at the time, they needed more female directors, they thought I was capable”.

A Māori interviewee said boards need to genuinely want someone for their skills and experience, not because they will tick a diversity box. “Do I like the idea of being the Māori woman on a board? No. I don’t want to run the risk of being a box that’s ticked. It’s very obvious when that’s happening. It’s dehumanising. It’s actually just stupid, there’s no other word for it. But it happens routinely…I always decline those opportunities.”

Women who are experienced enough to be on boards need the first board door opened for them, one woman told me. “They need to network and make it clear they’re available… There are plenty of qualified women.” Although, just saying they’re keen won’t work. As another interviewee said, “a lot of people think because they’re a woman and they’ve joined the Institute of Directors they will get on a board.” That’s not true, she said. It might fast track things, but it’s not enough – everyone in a boardroom needs to be there because they bring something valuable to the table.

One of my interviewees blamed women themselves for the lack of women on boards. It’s not that boards don’t want women or diversity “or anything like that”, she said. “In my experience it’s the fact there aren’t as many to choose from, because we as a gender just bail out of the workforce. At the first opportunity we get we’re out. I’m making mass generalisations here, but that’s my experience. The first opportunity you struggle, you’re out. A lot of people say they never made it because of unconscious bias so they didn’t get promotions… it’s not the men holding them back or not giving them opportunities, it’s a lack of resilience and confidence.”

Another interviewee said outright that some women on boards don’t help or encourage more women – the old ‘Queen Bee’ phenomenon. “Why? I don’t know. They feel special and want to keep their specialness. Terrible, isn’t it?” Yeah, it’s not great.

One woman I interviewed claimed many others see governance as an escape route. “Being a director is an important, big, interesting-sounding job. You get paid, can work part time, go to yoga and look after the kids or whatever and it’s actually nothing like that at all. A lot of women aspire to it…it’s a real trend.” Ouch. According to another of my interview subjects, it has “become quite trendy, quite cool” for ladies to be on boards. I don’t think it’s a fad – I think we’re seeing more awareness of the importance of diversity on boards. That can only be a good thing.

However, we’ve got to be more proactive, or nothing is going to change. People who recruit for and decide on appointments to boards and leadership roles are in positions of power. They have a responsibility to facilitate that change and consider diversity.

I want to see our business environment be more inclusive and fair, with opportunities for all capable people to succeed at the highest levels. That’s not a rejection of those who currently dominate leadership. It’s a call for fairer leadership with a broader range of people, more accurately representing New Zealand’s population. It’s a desire for inclusivity, not exclusivity.

So much research shows diversity in business is beneficial in many ways, including for business performance – but, c’mon, encouraging inclusion is also obviously, both socially and ethically, just the right thing to do.

As one of my interviewees told me, “you can find women or any diversity group with the right skill sets if you look hard enough – you just have to look harder.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/24...nti-white-men/

Old June 13th, 2018 #4
Skinhead Zack

Recently a dothead div-uh-shitty instructor was told to "go back to where you came from".

APRIL 5 2018 - 7:00PM

Woman of Indian descent says she was racially abused in Bathurst

Alex Crowe

Quote:
Imagine sitting alone in your car and having a stranger approach you, tapping on the window to get your attention for the sole purpose of insulting you.

This was the experience on Wednesday of Shyamla Eswaran, an Australian-born woman of Indian descent who was on her way to Orange to teach children about the importance of cultural diversity.

No stranger to racism, Ms Eswaran says she was sitting in her car in Hope Street, Bathurst when three young adults told her to “go back to where you came from”.

Despite her shock at being accosted on the street at midday, Ms Eswaran says she got out of the car to confront the group, appealing to the female for solidarity.

“She told me to f*** off and eat a f****** curry,” said Eswaran said.

Ms Eswaran said she had suffered similar taunts as a child growing up in Sydney and now uses her workshops to combat ignorance in young children and teenagers.

She was in Bathurst this week to teach a hip hop origins workshop at Bathurst High and while in Orange she gave children at Yarrawong Children’s Centre and Trinity Preschool an introduction to Indian culture, music and language.

“I grew up in Sydney and was called ‘cockroach’ by all the other kids from the time I entered school,” she said.

Ms Eswaran said she found racism to be most rife in coastal towns.

“I have to admit that I had a preconception of smaller cities and country towns but I’m usually met with warmth and hospitality,” she said.

But not everyone has had to deal with this type of racism in the Central West.

Rita Narawan is a mother of four and owns an Indian grocery store with her husband Sam Narawan.

She said when the couple moved to Orange in 2002 there was no Indian community, yet she has always felt welcome in the city.

“When we first came to Orange there was one other couple and us, but we didn’t feel any racism,” she said.

Mrs Narawan’s children attend Orange Public School and Orange High School, where she said they are very happy.

“My husband is a teacher and the student’s love him, every day my children are surprised when his students are waving to him in the street.”

Ms Eswaran said she’s speaking up about her experience of racism in the hope that no child had to go through what she did growing up.

“Being Australian doesn’t mean leaving your culture at the door,” Ms Eswaran said.

“People of colour don’t want to be tolerated – we want to be celebrated.”

https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/s...d-in-bathurst/

Last edited by Skinhead Zack; June 13th, 2018 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Typo

Old June 13th, 2018 #5
Skinhead Zack

The liberals say "diversity" is good for us, without mentioning how many Whites brainwashed by their dogma were raped and murdered.

The non-Whites do us hardly anything but harm.

Siding with them does not only make you a traitor, it also makes you vulnerable to their cowardly attacks.

Look how many of our people are killed by them every year.

Nobody wants to live next to a cold-blooded, cannibal rapist killer apparently.

But we can't, because the laws protect our enemies.

The Kikes should be removed from power as soon as possible. so we can deport all the muds back to their countries without facing protests.

Last edited by Skinhead Zack; June 13th, 2018 at 07:14 AM.

Old June 13th, 2018 #6
Skinhead Zack

Old June 13th, 2018 #7
Skinhead Zack

Sure, non-Whites can do whatever they want in their own countries. as long as it doesnt affect us.
We just don't want 'em flooding our country, taking our jobs, women, etc.

For White survival, they need to be sent back to where they belong, and it's definitely not White homelands.

Old June 13th, 2018 #8
Skinhead Zack

Old June 18th, 2018 #9
Skinhead Zack

Quote:
White Men Challenge Workplace Diversity Efforts

Lauren Weber, Wall Street Journal, March 14, 2018

{snip}

A recruiter is accusing YouTube of retaliating against him after he complained that the video site discriminated against white and Asian male applicants in favor of hiring other people of color and women. The case comes on the heels of a lawsuit against Google, in which James Damore has accused the company of firing him for espousing conservative political views that oppose the company’s diversity-related hiring practices.

Alphabet Inc., parent company of Google and YouTube, said it would defend itself in both cases in an area that has been heavily litigated. Discrimination is generally difficult to prove, and so-called reverse-discrimination lawsuits must pass an even higher bar, employment lawyers say.

“You can have a goal, even a numerical goal over a time period, to increase the number of women or people of color,” said Dennis Parker, director of the racial justice program at the American Civil Liberties Union. “That’s different than saying ‘We’re not going to hire any more white men.’ ”

The cases could have broader implications for Silicon Valley companies and their recruiting methods as the tech industry faces continued scrutiny for a lack of diversity. While discrimination against any sex or race is forbidden by federal statute, courts have long allowed companies to put in place programs meant to correct imbalances, such as targeted outreach and training courses designed for people from under-represented groups.

One of the last major cases alleging discrimination against white men was decided in 2009 when the Supreme Court sided with white firefighters who said the New Haven, Conn., fire department discriminated against them by invalidating the results of a test used to determine promotions. {snip}

{snip}

Arne Wilberg, the plaintiff in the suit against YouTube, is a white recruiter who worked at Google for nine years, including four years at YouTube. He alleges that the video site told recruiters to cancel interviews with applicants who weren’t female, black or Hispanic after setting quotas for hiring minorities.

{snip}

Many U.S. employers are under pressure from employees, advocacy groups and, in some cases, investors to diversify their payrolls and, by extension, tackle issues like the gender wage gap, sexual harassment and economic inequality. For example, activist shareholder Arjuna Capital has led campaigns to compel firms including Amazon.com Inc. and Apple Inc. to identify and fix pay disparities between male and female workers.

The tech sector has come under special scrutiny ever since big tech firms began disclosing data about the makeup of their workforces, said Jon Bischke, chief executive of Entelo, a recruiting software firm that helps companies hire technical talent.

“Their numbers effectively have to go up every year,” he said. “If their numbers went backward, that would be a public-relations nightmare.”

{snip}

Discrimination claims from white men aren’t confined to the office. Last fall, a man sued a San Diego restaurant that hosted a women’s networking event, saying he was discriminated against because he wasn’t allowed to attend and, although he was permitted to sit at the bar, wasn’t given the discounted drink specials offered to attendees. His suit naming the restaurant and Ladies Get Paid, the organization that hosted the event, was settled.

{snip}
https://www.amren.com/news/2018/03/w...rsity-efforts/

Thread