Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 22nd, 2018 #1
Gladiatrix

Default Is your spin class too young, too thin and too white?

"After a few committed months of hot yoga at a studio in New York, Christina Rice had found her niche. So when the studio announced that it was offering teacher training, she signed right up.

It was only when she arrived with her mat that she noticed something striking.

There were 54 other women and men in the 10-week course, and not one of them looked like her. She was the lone African-American in the class.

"I did bond with some of the other students," says Rice. "But I did feel very isolated at times. There were no teachers of color. I didn't have another woman who looked like me, who understood my struggles, my insecurities."

"(((Daniel T. Lichter))), a Cornell University sociology professor and demographer, agrees that cities are more integrated, but he sees the rise of boutique businesses such as juice bars and studios - with their specific clientele - as a trend in keeping with larger demographic shifts. "We've seen this return of the white-middle class, minority professionals, and professional immigrants. There's more money in the city now," he says. "There's now a large enough clientele that they can cater to and specialize in.""
"

"Click on the websites for any of the major boutique studios. On the Flywheel site, you'll find a blond woman, smiling brightly, perched on a bike in the center of the frame. Just three of the 18 faces pictured on Barre3's appear to be women of color. A slender young white woman, sweat emphasizing her toned arms, stares back at you on a Barry's Bootcamp Web page. "Challenge yourself," the text prods."

""The messaging," says Stanley, "is essentially: You're allowed in this space if you are white, slender, able-bodied and less than 45, cis-gender and heterosexual. And if you're not, then you're not welcome.""

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...318-story.html

Thread