VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 4th, 2018 #1
ColdFire
Banned

Default Oliver Twist 1982 movie

Some of you might be familiar with the novel . .

It has been put on screen quite a few times . .

This is an interesting movie version of the novel . .

Top-class actors . .

George C. Scott , Tim Curry , Timothy West etc . .

The plot once again . .

An orphant boy grows up in 19th century England . . in a workhouse . .

The legendary scene . .

At the age of 9 he is being transferred to start a training at a local craftsman ( the parished undertaker )

He is not well received there , runs away , heading for London . .

There he meets the Artful Dodger ( nickname ) , a member of the youth gang of a old jew , named Fagin . .

He becomes a member of his gang and also encounters Bill Sykes and his girlfriend , Nancy . .

. .who make deals with the old jew . .

One day a man calling himself 'Monks' visits Fagin , showing interest in Oliver . .

At his fist 'job' out with Bill Sykes , Oliver blows it and lands in the home of a family called the Brownlows . .

They more or less adopt him . .

Yet the interest of the man called 'Monks' in Oliver still won't decrease . .

He tries to hire Fagin for a job to kill Oliver , who , as Monks reveals , is his half-brother who inherited what is rightfully Oliver's . .

As it happens , Nancy , returning from the pub , has overheard the two who tries to impede it . .

Both Fagin and Sykes find out about her grassing up . .

She is killed by Sykes in revenge . .

It turns out that Monks' true identity is revealed and Brownlow finds out about his motives. .

Fagin is being arrested , awaiting the gallows . .

Sykes kills himself by accident trying to flee from people who wish to put him to justice. .

In the end the plot by Monks is discovered and he also is sent to jail . .

In the end Oliver gets his inheritance . . .

I never bothered to read the novel yet the plot is interesting . . Set in old England , dealing with an orphan boy practically going through 'all the risks of life' . .

One of Dickens' best works IMO. .

The movie is very rare yet you can watch it here online . .

Old October 13th, 2018 #2
Susan

The musical Oliver! was one of the greatest movies of all time, and probably the last great movie musical before they disappeared.

It was made in 1968.

I highly recommend it.

Old October 13th, 2018 #3
ColdFire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
The musical Oliver! was one of the greatest movies of all time, and probably the last great movie musical before they disappeared.

It was made in 1968.

I highly recommend it.
Thanks for replying , sis

For a long time this thread seemed to have stood unanswered ( except one PM I received . . .)
Quote:
Oliver Twist movie
Dude, concerning that Oliver Twist movie you posted.....
Man, that Bill Sykes charcter sure is a psycho...
Wouldn't want to be confronted with someone like that in real life!!!
Yep , Sykes sure was a psycho . .

The irony is that when I first watched that movie back then it somehow reminded me of myself. . .

First of all , for a long time that I was without a job after meeting my wife the two of us also would also sit in our roof flat making the night through to alcoholic beverage . .

Second , also ironically my personal last name happens to be Insterburg-Sykes ( yes , I have a double name ; My mother was née Insterburg , Sykes was the last name of my father's side of the family . . )

Wow. .

Concerning onomatology, Insterburg is a town in the former German eastern region of East Prussia ( today under Kaliningrad . .) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernyakhovsk

Syke is a town in Lower-Saxony ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syke )

Old October 13th, 2018 #4
ColdFire
Banned

Talking

Second , I found it quite interesting how much Gin is consumed by the participants in that movie . . .

lol

Gin must have been the Number 1 beverage in Old England . . .

And in a way until today. . .

Think of the British royal family or Winston Churchill . .

The British royal family ( especially the Queen Mom ) sure seem very keen on Gin ( I mentioned them in this thread https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=551203 . .)

As for Churchill . . https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?...41#post2252741

As it happens I used to have a friend who lived in England ( https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t1244763/ ) whom I visited there quite often.

Gin still seems to be one of England's Number 1 trademarks . .

With or without Tonic , lol

I suppose what Vodka is to the Russians, Gin is to the English . . . .

Old October 14th, 2018 #5
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post

It was made in 1968.

I highly recommend it.
"Oliver!" had some of the best dancing scenes since "Oklahoma!" And both are great White musicals!!!!!!!!

Edit: This is one of my favorite short classical pieces, "Hoedown" from the entire ballet "Rodeo." The ballet ensemble is pretty darn good:

Last edited by Erik T. White; October 14th, 2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: more info

Old October 14th, 2018 #6
Gladiatrix

What the Dickens?

Old October 15th, 2018 #7
ColdFire
Banned

Sure , Oliver Twist has been put in scene many times, movies from practically every decade , even cartoons , stage dramas etc . . . .

Yet I feel this is among the best versions of the plot, it has the gloomy atmosphere of 19th century England combined with world class actors.

George C. Scott, Tim Curry, Cherie Lunghi etc . . . .

Also , what I like about the plot .

In a way it dramatizes the cruel society order in Old England at that time . . . .

For the record , I thought this was worst version of that plot . . .

Disney's "Oliver & Co"

It transformed the story from 19th century England to 20th century New York and used animals as an analogy . .

Oliver - in the movie cast as a cat

Fagin

Sykes

The Artful Dodger

Old October 15th, 2018 #8
steven clark

Default Oliver Twist 1982 movie

Okay, Coldfire, you want a response, I'm in.
There was a good version of Oliver twist made in 1951 with Robert newton as Sikes and Alec Guinness as Fagin. Very strong and stark. There was a BBC version a few years ago, that emphasized Fagin's Jewishness, and not in a nice way.
Of course Jews attacked it.
Gin drinking was very prevalent, and seen as a terrible vice. Look at Hogarth's prints of Gin Alley and Beer Street, comparing the wrongs of one drink over another.
Gin condemned, but no one really knew how to control it or the terrible poverty associated with it.
Since you're interested in Dickens, you should read Orwell's essay on Dickens. It's very thoughtful and a good piece on the author as a whole.

Oliver was a great musical...when I was a kid I saw it five nights in a row, although you wonder how it is you make a musical out of such an awful life, but you go for the sunny side.

You might want to look at a TV movie about Mary Bryant, an 18th century English girl convicted of stealing ,sent on a convict ship to Australia. It shows the horrors of mass rape, etc., and Mary gets a boat and escapes the colony...which really happened. it was on Australian TV. Romola Gerai plays Mary.

Thread