Lutador Branco

Default Napoleon

Napoleon (1927)

330 minutes

Director: Abel Gance

https://archive.org/details/napoleon...lu-ray-yts.-mx

Old September 2nd, 2022 #2
Lutador Branco

For me, it's still the best film about Napoleon.

The film begins with the boy at school and ends with the General in the Italian Campaign, in 1796 and 1797.

In fact, Abel Gance planned for Napoleon to be the first of six films about Napoleon's career, and it would end with Napoleon's death on Saint Helena Island, but he did not obtain the financial resources to do so.

Old July 16th, 2023 #3
Lutador Branco

Old July 16th, 2023 #4
Ray Allan

Emperor Commodus becomes Emperor Napoleon I. Of course, Ridley Scott also produced Gladiator.

The only film about Napoleon I've seen is the 1970 one starring Rod Steiger.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old July 18th, 2023 #5
Ray Allan

Looks like it isn't that great, according to HistoryLegends's critique of the trailer. I'll just stick with the Waterloo film.

Old July 26th, 2023 #6
Ray Allan

Default 'Napoleon in America' - alternate history

I think this would make a great movie.

Old July 26th, 2023 #7
Lutador Branco

Comrade Ray, you prefer the Waterloo film and I prefer the Abel Gance film, which opens this thread on the Napoleonic Wars; they are two great films.

The Joaquin Phoenix movie I haven't seen yet.

And Napoleon in America would be amazing...

Old July 27th, 2023 #8
steven clark

Default Napoleon

I saw the Gance film many years ago, and thought it uneven, but I saw a French version which had scenes shot in the 1930's, and mixed with the original, which skewed things.
There was a BBC(?) production of Napoleon a few years ago which I didn''t think bad. it had Isabella Rossilini as Josephine.

I did see Waterloo on Youtube; kind of okay, but you could tell they did a lot of cutting to make it to the film market.

In the later films, Napoleon is always shown as a bad guy. What if he is shown as as a genuine hero? You always have the English perspective, which makes him evil, and British commerce good. In many ways, Hitler was simply round two.

Old July 27th, 2023 #9
Lutador Branco

Yes, steven, Napoleon, has recently been wrongly portrayed as a bad man and a bit of a psychopath, as they do with Hitler, Mussolini and also Stalin.

I still haven't seen Waterloo, Ray's favorite, and I haven't seen Joaquin Phoenix's Napoleon either.

Napoleon, by Abel Gance, which is my favorite, shows Napoleon as a hero.

You can see it in high quality and remastered here:

Napoleon ( 1927) [ 720p] [ Blu Ray] [ YTS. MX]

https://archive.org/details/napoleon...lu-ray-yts.-mx

Old July 27th, 2023 #10
Ray Allan

Napoleon himself did not go to America, but some of his relatives did, such as his own brother Jerome, for a time. Interesting.

He often gets the "Hitler treatment," portraying him as a bad guy, the "Little Tyrant" (Napoleon was actually 5 feet 7 inches tall or 170cm), etc., because we usually get the British version of his history here in the US. I will have to watch the Gance film which shows him as a hero.

Old July 27th, 2023 #11
Lutador Branco

Was Jérôme Bonaparte in the Americas?

Really very interesting.

Old July 27th, 2023 #12
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutador Branco View Post
Was Jérôme Bonaparte in the Americas?

Really very interesting.
I did not know that until recently, either.

Napoleon did not live long enough to see the invention of photography, but there is one of Jerome Bonaparte (1784-1860) taken in the 1850s.

Old July 27th, 2023 #13
Lutador Branco

Historic treasure. Thanks so much for posting this photo, Comrade Ray.

Old July 29th, 2023 #14
steven clark

Default Napoleon

In the 60's, Anthony Burgess (A Clockwork Orange), was contracted by Stanley
Kubrick to write a screenplay about Napoleon. Burgess did, but the movie didn't get made...too expensive, etc, and when Kubrick did finally do a big period piece he did Barry Lyndon, which I don't like...Ryan O'Neal...Ugh.
Burgess turned his screenplay into Napoleon Symphony, and made it into four parts...like a symphony, and Burgess modeled his story on Beethoven's Eroica symphony. Burgess and Kubrick had differences on the theme.
it might have been a good movie, although the last part of the novel sags.

Burgess claimed Napoleon finally won when Britain entered the Common Market, and re-attatched itself to Europe.

Interesting how Napoleon and Hitler are two personalities that are eternal. Can you say the same about the allied leaders of either era?

Old July 29th, 2023 #15
Lutador Branco

It would be interesting to see a film about Napoleon by Anthony Burgess and Stanley Kubrick.

Perhaps the question of Napoleon: hero or villain? have made Anthony Burgess and Stanley Kubrick had differences.

Old August 5th, 2023 #16
Ray Allan

Talking

The first Napoleon film I ever watched:

Old August 5th, 2023 #17
Major Sharpe
Banned

I was so impressed by the UK mini-series Sharpe that I made the main character my VNN avatar. Sprawling over 174 episodes, shot from Northern Europe to Southern Spain to the Russian Crimea, it goes into details and settings and historical figures that no other portrayal of the Napoleonic Wars has ever done. True, the character of Richard Sharpe is fictional, serving as he does as the background canvas to paint the rest of this epic historical drama like no other film before or after, it offers a never-before-seen examination of the historical figures who fought in it, their motives, their battles, and the ultimate ramifications for Europe in the aftermath of Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo. It also offers fascinating glimpses into British life during that period, the brutality of soldierly treatment by the British Crown towards its enlisted men, and much more.

Theme song of Sharpe, sung by actor John Tams, who played rifleman Daniel Hagman (4 1/2 minutes)

How Sgt. Sharpe began his rise as an officer (3: 45 seconds)

Later Sharpe (now an officer) captures the French Eagle in battle and becomes a hero (6: 00 minutes)

Sharpe's mortal enemy Colonel Simmerson tries to paint Sharpe as a battlefield coward when Simmerson himself was the real coward (5: 00 minutes)

Old August 6th, 2023 #18
Lutador Branco

Very funny Ray's first film about Napoleon; I especially liked Bugs Bunny's face after his sneeze...

And I really enjoyed the videos of Major Sharpe's favorite miniseries about Napoleon.

As I said, I like the version of my favorite film, which is Napoleon, by Abel Gance, but I'm an enthusiast of seeing the many sides of everything, and the Sharpe miniseries presents a very interesting look at this time of the Napoleonic Wars.

Old August 6th, 2023 #19
Major Sharpe
Banned

Second only to Major Sharpe in Sharpe is Sgt Harper, highlighted here in this brief, 1 minute clip:

Old August 7th, 2023 #20
Major Sharpe
Banned

Sharpe is not just about the war against Napoleon, but also about the lives of all those swept up in it. Sharpe himself finds love in far off Spain with Englishwoman Jane Gibbons and soon marries her. Neither she nor Sharpe come from a noble background, so life has been hard for the both of them. Jane Gibbons is but the first heartbreak Sharpe is destined for, and several others will follow...

Thread