VNN Broadcasts

Old September 21st, 2009 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Book Publishing These Days...

Old September 21st, 2009 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator

Years ago Wolzek and I were looking for one of these, now it's here. Pretty cool stuff.

Old September 21st, 2009 #3
Malleus
Let them eat globaloney...

Lightbulb

I've been keeping an eye on this and the related automatic book scanners for a while now, myself. Trouble is the auto-book printer-binding machine is about $100,000. Not exactly chump change. I think a cheaper knockoff is still in the 5-figure range.

A cheaper solution is to print out your book on 8.5" x 11" paper on a duplexing laser printer ($200 or less, nowadays) and then buy a comb-binding machine for another $200-$300 or so. You'd have to do some things manually but the cost savings may make the difference.

Rising again soon...

Old September 21st, 2009 #4
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
I've been keeping an eye on this and the related automatic book scanners for a while now, myself. Trouble is the auto-book printer-binding machine is about $100,000. Not exactly chump change. I think a cheaper knockoff is still in the 5-figure range.

A cheaper solution is to print out your book on 8.5" x 11" paper on a duplexing laser printer ($200 or less, nowadays) and then buy a comb-binding machine for another $200-$300 or so. You'd have to do some things manually but the cost savings may make the difference.
Wolzek actually got one of those toaster type things, if that's what you're talking about. To call it a book, eh, it's more like a bound Kinko's report. Yeah, it will no doubt take a few more years to get down to the $2,000 range, but it will happen. And the new technology is definitely good for Whites.

Old September 24th, 2009 #5
Igor Alexander

Well, I guess the writing is on the wall, so to speak. Eventually people are going to download their books and get them printed at their local copy shop with one of these machines, just like people are now downloading their music and even renting movies online. I don't expect traditional bookstores will disappear overnight, but that's obviously the way things are going.

The one thing I don't like about the desktop publishing revolution is that it seems people used to take more care putting together a book back when it was more expensive and time-consuming to do so and required a team of trained professionals to do it. I often wonder if people even bother proofreading their books and checking the layout before printing them these days.

Old September 26th, 2009 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Alexander View Post
Well, I guess the writing is on the wall, so to speak. Eventually people are going to download their books and get them printed at their local copy shop with one of these machines, just like people are now downloading their music and even renting movies online. I don't expect traditional bookstores will disappear overnight, but that's obviously the way things are going.
The prices in used bookstores have gotten ridiculously high, to say nothing of new books.

Quote:
The one thing I don't like about the desktop publishing revolution is that it seems people used to take more care putting together a book back when it was more expensive and time-consuming to do so and required a team of trained professionals to do it. I often wonder if people even bother proofreading their books and checking the layout before printing them these days.
True, the technical has outpaced the editorial, but the upside is that new facilities are there for our side that weren't there before. Taking book publishing out of the hands of a few large NYC jew houses is good for Whites.

Old September 26th, 2009 #7
Kievsky

I still am not able to make high quality DVD's like the ones in commercial video stores. I've tried the burners and all that, and from my research, a computer DVD burner is supposed to do as good a job as the commercial DVD movies you can rent at the video store. This has not been my experience.

People are more willing to pop in a DVD than read a book, and there is a lot of good material available for this purpose such as the Craig Bodeker movie and the Mark Farrell stuff. If you could stuff 8 hours of video on a DVD that people could pop into their DVD players, that'd be great.

Of course blue ray is coming out now. Maybe a Blue Ray burner will be better.

Hope that's not off topic, since the thread was started about books. But I can tell you, ordinary folks are way more likely to watch something than read something.

Old September 26th, 2009 #8
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
5. What does the EBM cost?
USD $75,000 plus the cost of the text printer (they range in cost between $4,108 for the mid-speed black-and-white printer to $25,939 for the high-speed color printer). The full-color cover printer is included in the $75,000. Training, installation, and delivery are charged at cost.
They've got one of these at the New Orleans public library. Why? I have no idea. However, the next time I'm in that area I might stop by and take a gander assuming it's not an area overrun by niggers.

Old November 12th, 2009 #9
Jimmy Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
I still am not able to make high quality DVD's like the ones in commercial video stores. I've tried the burners and all that, and from my research, a computer DVD burner is supposed to do as good a job as the commercial DVD movies you can rent at the video store. This has not been my experience.

People are more willing to pop in a DVD than read a book, and there is a lot of good material available for this purpose such as the Craig Bodeker movie and the Mark Farrell stuff. If you could stuff 8 hours of video on a DVD that people could pop into their DVD players, that'd be great.

Of course blue ray is coming out now. Maybe a Blue Ray burner will be better.

Hope that's not off topic, since the thread was started about books. But I can tell you, ordinary folks are way more likely to watch something than read something.
DVD-burners use a laser to make an organic dye go off, commercial dvds are constructed with that data pressed into them. Different technology, and different names too (DVD5, DVD9 versus DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, etc).

Last edited by Jimmy Watson; November 12th, 2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typos

Old November 16th, 2009 #10
Igor Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
The prices in used bookstores have gotten ridiculously high, to say nothing of new books.
I don't know what to say to that. I've been shocked at how inexpensive some new books are; those Taschen pocket-sized full-color art books are a steal at $10 (too bad the subject matter isn't all that interesting for the most part). I don't even know how they can make a profit selling their books that cheap; they must be printing them in China or something.

Used book stores are usually like antique stores; they'll charge whatever they think they can get away with. I would never go to antique store if I wanted a good price on something. I think the Internet has had a lot to do with driving the price of used books sky-high; if a seller sees a used book is going for $100 on Amazon, that's what he then charges for it.

One can find good prices for books at yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores, etc. And there's always the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
True, the technical has outpaced the editorial, but the upside is that new facilities are there for our side that weren't there before. Taking book publishing out of the hands of a few large NYC jew houses is good for Whites.
But what was ever to prevent anyone from getting a book self-published? Jews control publishing houses and distribution networks and so on; to my knowledge, they've never had a monopoly on printing.

Have Revilo Oliver's or William Pierce's books ever gone out of print for lack of someone to print them?

I see an advantage to this technology if you're only planning on printing, say, 100 copies of a book, since the cost of making the plates and so on for offset printing wouldn't be worth it for that quantity. If you're planning on printing 3000 copies, though, doing it the old way might be more economical.

Old November 16th, 2009 #11
Igor Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
What kind of problems have you been having? I haven't had any problems burning off DVD movies that will play in every standalone player I've tried them in, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Creating a DVD on a home burner and the way DVDs are made at a factory are inherently different processes. Factory-made ones are, I believe, stamped out of metal in a process similar to how vinyl LPs are made, whereas when you burn a DVD at home, you're basically "printing" an image of the DVD on a layer of dye on the blank DVD. Factory-made DVDs should last a very long time if you don't abuse them, while no one can say for sure how long the homemade ones will last (I've heard of them going bad after just 6 months when they were burned on poor-quality blank media).

Last edited by Igor Alexander; November 16th, 2009 at 09:32 AM.

Old May 3rd, 2012 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

The Greatness of Amazon and Kindle
Posted by Lew Rockwell on May 2, 2012 09:23 AM

George Reisman defends these boons for mankind from the statist luddites. Here is just a sample on Amazonian glories:

Without any middlemen or gatekeepers, with virtually no costs involved, and with self-marketing possible through social media and other Internet channels, electronic publishing is creating a robust market for new writers and books. For example, one novelist who was unable to find an agent or publisher has self-published two of her novels on Kindle. With her books priced at $2.99 and with a 70-percent royalty from Kindle, she earns approximately $2 per book. She is selling 55 books per day, or 20,000 books per year, which amounts to sales of $60,000 and royalties to her of $40,000. (As a simple comparison, without getting into the complexities of book contracts, this author might earn a royalty of approximately 10-percent from a traditional publisher, which would require her to achieve sales of $400,000 to earn as much money as she does self-publishing on Kindle.) Other authors are doing even better, including two self-published novelists who have become members of the Kindle Million Club in copies sold. These writers started with nothing—they were not among the favored few selected by agents and trade publishers, and they had no publicists or book tours—yet, thanks to electronic publishing, they are making a living, with some achieving stunning success.

The low-pricing of e-books, scorned by the traditional publishing interests, is the emerging writer’s new ticket of admission into the book industry. While readers may be highly reluctant to risk $25 in a bookstore to try a new writer’s hardcover work, they are buying the e-books of new writers priced at or around $2.99 on Kindle. Writers are finding their fans and making money at these prices, and readers, judging by Amazon’s “customer reviews,” are happy with these low-cost books.

The writer-publisher in America dates back to our founding, promoting vigorous free speech and intellectual entrepreneurship. Benjamin Franklin’s “Poor Richard’s Almanac” and Thomas Paine’s “Common Sense,” both best sellers in their day, were self-published.

Old May 3rd, 2012 #13
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

I never thought I'd say it, but I really like Kindle. I don't even own a Kindle, though my sister does as do many of my friends. I use Kindle PC, available for free from Amazon, and read from my laptop. I've bought quite a few books this way.

Lots of books for free, including old great fiction novels, and just about anything for $10 or under.

I'm not a writer, but if I were this is the path I'd take. I think one of Fred Reed's essays mentioned this as a good way for writers to publish, avoiding the pitfalls of attempting to publish through agents and publishers. I'll see if I can find the essay.

Mike

Late edit. Here is the essay. http://lewrockwell.com/reed/reed229.html

Here's an excerpt: "Meanwhile Jeff Gutenbezos was inventing Amazon, and then the Kindle, and then Kindle Direct Publishing. With KDP you can publish your world-shattering novel on Amazon in about a week. Learning of this, I dragged Dawson out of his drawer and decided I kinda liked him. An incorrigible sardonic wise-ass, but a decent sort, though he would never admit it.."

Mike

Last edited by Mike in Denver; May 3rd, 2012 at 11:16 AM.

Old May 3rd, 2012 #14
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
I never thought I'd say it, but I really like Kindle. I don't even own a Kindle, though my sister does as do many of my friends. I use Kindle PC, available for free from Amazon, and read from my laptop. I've bought quite a few books this way.

Lots of books for free, including old great fiction novels, and just about anything for $10 or under.

I'm not a writer, but if I were this is the path I'd take. I think one of Fred Reed's essays mentioned this as a good way for writers to publish, avoiding the pitfalls of attempting to publish through agents and publishers. I'll see if I can find the essay.

Mike

Late edit. Here is the essay. http://lewrockwell.com/reed/reed229.html

Here's an excerpt: "Meanwhile Jeff Gutenbezos was inventing Amazon, and then the Kindle, and then Kindle Direct Publishing. With KDP you can publish your world-shattering novel on Amazon in about a week. Learning of this, I dragged Dawson out of his drawer and decided I kinda liked him. An incorrigible sardonic wise-ass, but a decent sort, though he would never admit it.."

Mike
Yeah, there are a number of free readers for different formats. I've read a number of pulp novels online. These changes are mostly for the good. Only used bookstores suffer these days. They are few, and their offerings are high-priced. But the internet is a more natural way to find and get books, so it thrives.

Old May 3rd, 2012 #15
Steven L. Akins
Banned

For a few hundred dollars of upfront cost, there are several print-on-demand book publishers that will format, print, bind, and ship your book for you, in both hardcover and paperback editions; you can choose the cover art yourself and even the chapter heading fonts etc.

I used iUniverse to publish my English language edition of the Lebor Feasa Runda. You write the book and they do the rest, including sending you quarterly royalty checks on the sales of what you publish.

Old June 20th, 2012 #16
Alex Linder
Administrator

self-publishing and selling books on amazon

http://indiereader.com/2012/06/how-a...saved-my-life/

Old June 21st, 2012 #17
Karl Radl
The Epitome of Evil

HRP will publish anything nationalist under their imprint and will do any print job for a reasonable fee (plus they offer artwork and editing services if you want to use them).

I've had chats with Washington Summit and Social Contract Press as well: they seem fairly well disposed to publishing anything as long as it doesn't mention the jewish question, which is unfortunate. Theses and Dissertations/Castle Hill and Scott-Townsend are more academic publishers of nationalist/anti-jewish material, but they are still worth talking to if you want to publish something less politicised on these issues.

Old August 7th, 2012 #18
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Radl View Post
HRP will publish anything nationalist under their imprint and will do any print job for a reasonable fee (plus they offer artwork and editing services if you want to use them).

I've had chats with Washington Summit and Social Contract Press as well: they seem fairly well disposed to publishing anything as long as it doesn't mention the jewish question, which is unfortunate. Theses and Dissertations/Castle Hill and Scott-Townsend are more academic publishers of nationalist/anti-jewish material, but they are still worth talking to if you want to publish something less politicised on these issues.
Hmm...didn't the HRP guy die? I'm not too familiar with them, but have seen good things. S-T seems academic, someone there was sending me their academic quarterly for a while.

Old August 13th, 2013 #20
Alex Linder
Administrator

used bookstores disappearing
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog...oks-weve-lost/

Thread