Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 29th, 2012 #1
SmokyMtn
Banned

Default Polka.......the other White music.

Old September 29th, 2012 #2
SmokyMtn
Banned

Lawrece Welk: (born March 11, 1903, Strasburg, N.D., U.S.—died May 17, 1992, Santa Monica, Calif.) U.S. bandleader and television performer. Born in a German-speaking village in North Dakota, he did not learn English until he was 21. He played the accordion and formed two musical groups that opened for bands and orchestras in the Midwest. Welk moved to Los Angeles, where his television program The Lawrence Welk Show (1955--71), which featured band music with vocalists, dancers, and instrumental soloists, became a huge success. The show was dropped by the network, but Welk continued it as Memories with Lawrence Welk (1971--82) after he was able to sign contracts with more than 250 independent television stations in the U.S. and Canada. Known for his unpretentious warmth and his trademark phrase "Wunnerful, wunnerful," he played light, nostalgic "champagne music" and featured smiling performers such as the Lennon Sisters.

Old September 29th, 2012 #4
Steven L. Akins
Banned

In the not too distant future, I predict that the hipsters will embrace polka as their music de jour.

Old September 29th, 2012 #5
SmokyMtn
Banned

Old September 29th, 2012 #6
SmokyMtn
Banned

Old September 29th, 2012 #7
SmokyMtn
Banned

Old September 29th, 2012 #8
SmokyMtn
Banned

Enjoyed that one, thanks.

Back in 1986, at the age of 21, the Mackinac Hotel put me in charge of mixed drinks at a polka convention. At first I bitched about it because I was going to have to do a double shift (during the day, I was the lifeguard at the hotel's pool). But after listening to a few songs, I knew that I was going to have a good time that evening. Gave the order to slash the price of drinks to 50-cents each. Also told the bartenders to help themselves and to not forget the waiters and waitresses.

Everyone had the time of their lives.

The next morning, while trying to explain to hotel management how I only managed to collect around $750 for over 2,000 mixed drinks, hotel guests were shaking my hand for the great time they had the night before.

Old September 29th, 2012 #9
yami

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtn View Post
Enjoyed that one, thanks.

Back in 1986, at the age of 21, the Mackinac Hotel put me in charge of mixed drinks at a polka convention. At first I bitched about it because I was going to have to do a double shift (during the day, I was the lifeguard at the hotel's pool). But after listening to a few songs, I knew that I was going to have a good time that evening. Gave the order to slash the price of drinks to 50-cents each. Also told the bartenders to help themselves and to not forget the waiters and waitresses.

Everyone had the time of their lives.

The next morning, while trying to explain to hotel management how I only managed to collect around $750 for over 2,000 mixed drinks, hotel guests were shaking my hand for the great time they had the night before.
Haha.. nothing compares to good polka..

Old September 29th, 2012 #11
SmokyMtn
Banned

Old September 29th, 2012 #13
SmokyMtn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
In the not too distant future, I predict that the hipsters will embrace polka as their music de jour.
This one is for you Akins......

Last edited by SmokyMtn; September 29th, 2012 at 11:23 PM.

Old September 29th, 2012 #14
SmokyMtn
Banned

Old September 29th, 2012 #15
SmokyMtn
Banned

Old September 29th, 2012 #16
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Old September 29th, 2012 #17
SmokyMtn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
Look, we all know that you are an attention seeking computer addicted borderline pedophile, why must you continue fucking up my threads?

Old September 29th, 2012 #18
Squarehead Chris

I used to play the Trumpet (and still kinda do)
Sure, I've played in a Polka band or two over the years, but not too many gigs outside of the Sons of Norway once a year.
My biggest gig was as a member of a mariachi band that was the house band of the local mexican resturaunt for a year or so.

Not too much demand for a horn player these days.

Old September 29th, 2012 #19
yami

Default Melanie Oesch

This girl can yodel.

Franzl Lang yodel master

Old September 29th, 2012 #20
keifer

This thread is unexpected, but a real education, Please continue.

Thread