Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 3rd, 2005 #1
Angle

Default Script

I've got a script, about 30 pages. Comedy/ satire with hoary piss-take tragic elements. It's a play I wrote after I argued with my parents on the Jewish question. Basically, it's an attempt to understand why otherwise intelligent white middle class suckers will go to any lengths to defend kikes/ protect their reputation/ avoid offending anyone. Could work on radio. It's not 100% complete, but I did write it based on the American New England elite (i.e., it's not esoterically English). Of interest to anyone familiar with the Cuddihy/ Fussell/ Macdonald line of White Protestant buffoonery.
Originally intended it to be an Aristophanic farce, but got into the Henry Jamesian WASP snobbery/ cowardice 'thing' quite a bit. I'm developing some other scripts, but nothing so well-formed and complete as this, 'The Due Revue.'

'At the end of his life he organized a financial offering for the poor in Jerusalem [Jew city] from the gentile churches he had founded.' - St. Paul [Jew], Oxford Companion to Class. Civ.

Old June 8th, 2005 #2
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Wow, I'd love to read it.

Are you talking about for live or recorded performance?

Old June 8th, 2005 #3
Angle

I intended it to be live performance, but I think radio would work well because it's a dinner-table scene (not much stage-movement). I still have to write the bit where the 'black sheep' puts his foot in it by going over the line. I need to make this bit tragic (Greek-style), 'cos middle class pufferfish think nothing is so tragic as a blow to the reputation/ their propensity for inoffensiveness. 27 pages so far. It's got a good monologue at the end, where the host of the dinner party questions his life-of-pufferfishness to the butler (LOL). Should I post it on the forum, send a copy to Alex via email or something else?

Because Vanguard Radio is such a brilliant success, I think it would be good for radio. The BBC does radio plays quite often, usually 30 mins in length.

'At the end of his life he organized a financial offering for the poor in Jerusalem [Jew city] from the gentile churches he had founded.' - St. Paul [Jew], Oxford Companion to Class. Civ.

Old June 8th, 2005 #4
Stan Sikorski
Returned

Angle,
When your happy with it, post it on this thread if you wish, and definitely email it to Alex. It sounds like an entertaining prospect for VNN Radio. Posting it will allow for the "actors" among us to get familiar with it and hopefully make themselves known and available for production.

Old June 8th, 2005 #5
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle
I intended it to be live performance, but I think radio would work well because it's a dinner-table scene (not much stage-movement). I still have to write the bit where the 'black sheep' puts his foot in it by going over the line. I need to make this bit tragic (Greek-style), 'cos middle class pufferfish think nothing is so tragic as a blow to the reputation/ their propensity for inoffensiveness. 27 pages so far. It's got a good monologue at the end, where the host of the dinner party questions his life-of-pufferfishness to the butler (LOL). Should I post it on the forum, send a copy to Alex via email or something else?

Because Vanguard Radio is such a brilliant success, I think it would be good for radio. The BBC does radio plays quite often, usually 30 mins in length.
I would say work it over in private. Maybe not post it in this thread. Too many bullshitters in this forum liable to say ill considered or stupid things that will not be helpful. Maybe circulate it to a smaller group starting with your goyfire collaborators. Then once it's polished, if people want to, you could get some players together to dramatize it, and test run it a few times. Send it to Alex and see what he thinks. He's the most experienced editor of all different types of written material that I know, and he can probably identify somebody else to help you work it up too. Like I say, if people respond to it, why not put together a dramatization?

Worst case scenario, it will suck. Who cares? If I cared about writing sucky stuff I would never have disgorged the volume of crap that I have. I figure if ten percent of what I've written is worth remembering, that's 1000 posts right?

And if it doesnt suck we could always grow it from there.

Old June 8th, 2005 #6
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

One of my cherished memories of my dad, was that when I was little he used to go to bed right at 9 pm every night. I think that was my bedtime too or maybe before that, but I would get up and come in and lay down in their room especially during the summer because it was hot and they had a fan. So at 9 first would be "The Mystery Theater" an hour long radio drama, usually in 2 parts. Then at ten, if I didnt doze off, "The Shadow. " "HAHAHAHA What evil lurks in the heart of man? The SHADOW KNOWS!"

I loved this stuff. One of the best memories of my childhood and I'm sorry it's not on the radio today for me to reprise with my own lil ones. But what I'm getting at, is that drama is possible on radio. This is possible.

Old June 8th, 2005 #7
Sean Martin

Here is some advice. If you are presenting a script to a movie company or whatever, they only want 4 pages max. If you give them more they will trash it without looking. They want a basic out line of the movie such as plot, characters, and ending.

Old June 9th, 2005 #8
Angle

Okay, thanks for the encouragement. I had a look at it last night, and I need to readjust the beginning, which is just an amble. It'll take a few days to polsh up, but then I'll email it to Alex to see what he thinks.

Thread