VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 5th, 2011 #1
Bev
drinking tea

Default "Demonisation of the working class"

Quote:
Working class people have been demonised and their culture is under attack according to a new book that looks at the cruel stereotypes that have crept into popular culture.

Chav-bashing and laughing at the working classes has become a socially acceptable past time, according to author Owen James.

He says the rich love to hate them and blame them for their own misfortune with jokes such as one about the closure of Woolworths leading to the privileged wondering where 'chavs' will go to get their Christmas presents in the future.

A YouGov poll from 2006 asked professionals working in TV whether Vicky Pollard was an accurate representation of the white working class with 70 per cent saying yes.

Prime Minster, David Cameron also at one time claimed that Shameless was his favourite programme.

In his book, Chavs: The Demonisation of the Working Classes, Mr Jones says have become a society in which working class people have become invisible or despised, according to the Observer.

He said: 'The 1980s saw a dramatic assault on all aspects of working-class life, on unions and council houses and communities and with it, working class pride.

'Its been replaced by middle-class pride and the working classes have come to be seen as something to escape from.'

The Only Way is Essex is the must-see show of the moment. A fortnight ago it won the You Tube audience award at the Baftas.

Its mixture of reality TV and scripted show gives a stereotypical one-sided view of Britain's chavland, according to Mr Jones who describes the characters as 'grotesque caricatures of working class life.'

In the Brentwood based show, the characters are not poor. They have money and are successful with aspiring dreams of wealth.

Historian, Dominic Sandford says the show represents an image of 'working class people bettering themselves and still being tasteless.'

Essex resident, Laura, a 26-year-old insurance broker who works in Brentwood, studied geology at Manchester University. She is happy to describe herself as working class but says The Only Way is Essex is not representative of Brentwood.

'If you go into the Sugar Hut (nightclub), you'll see all the girls dolled up to the nines, but it's not what the rest of us are like.

'At university I used to say I was from East Anglia, because if you said you were from Essex, people would say, 'Where's your white stilettos?'

'Or, 'Do you dance around your handbag?' There was a really sneering attitude.'

She says no TV programme that is currently on show presents the reality of working class life. 'There's not, is there? There's nothing. There's just these ridiculous people getting fake tans and boob jobs.'
Read more: h t t p://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394469/The-Only-Way-Essex-demonisation-working-class.html

I know I've said this before, but why do we laugh at comedies featuring people like ourselves? I can't be the only one who thought Little Britain was brilliant when it first started, and then gradually realised there was nothing actually funny about it. Laughing at a white man dressed up as a Tory woman who is vomiting because she has realised the cake she has just eaten was made by a non-white. Same with the new comedy from Lucas and Walliams - the one about the airport. The customs officer is so blatantly a lampoon of a racist that it's pathetic. If you haven't seen it, one minute he will be accusing famous non-whites of not being who they say they are, and then he will be accepting a passport picture of an old black man to let a young asian girl into the country.

It's all designed to get us to think our own thoughts and prejudices are silly, and to laugh at them. Instead of tackling the problem of immigration and passport fraud directly, we're being conditioned into thinking it's quite funny.

Old June 5th, 2011 #2
chacal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
If you haven't seen it, one minute he will be accusing famous non-whites of not being who they say they are, and then he will be accepting a passport picture of an old black man to let a young asian girl into the country.

It's all designed to get us to think our own thoughts and prejudices are silly, and to laugh at them. Instead of tackling the problem of immigration and passport fraud directly, we're being conditioned into thinking it's quite funny.
Also, making a joke of such things makes light of them and people will see immigration etc as unimportant, a joke. Its phsycology and the retarded dickheads of this land that is the general British public will fall for it again. Frankfurt school.

Old June 5th, 2011 #3
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacal View Post
Also, making a joke of such things makes light of them and people will see immigration etc as unimportant, a joke. Its phsycology and the retarded dickheads of this land that is the general British public will fall for it again. Frankfurt school.
Spot on. Rep coming, if it lets me. They do it in almost every popular programme. Eastenders is currently giving us a wonderful, heartwarming tale about a black girl who has overstayed her visa. She is a christian, at university trying desperately to finish her exams before being deported, very clever, very kind to old ladies and kittens and so on and so on. She was about to be deported when the day was saved by a friend offering to marry her.

It's truly touching that this sham marriage has touched the hearts of millions and perhaps sham marriages aren't really so bad after all, if they're all like this.

Another Eastenders storyline features a gay couple, one of them muslim. (Note that they couldn't get a muslim actor to kiss another male actor, so they had to get an Italian to play him) and how dreadful that they can't have a baby. They've done surrogacy, that didn't work, so now they're looking at adoption. The nation has its fingers crossed that the muslim's parents stop their ridiculous bigotry and come through with the references and picture of happy home life that is needed.

Casualty touched on people smuggling last night with a depiction of terrible scars on an African (?) woman's back. Her sisted had died in the lorry they were smuggled in, so she hummed "Abide with me" to get her through her loss. Did you get that, nation? "Abide with me". She's a christian, just like you.

It can never be said too many times - when something (the BBC) is funded by the state and uses the state to collect an enforced payment from the public, it will inevitably become a mouthpiece of the state and push the state's message.

Old June 5th, 2011 #4
Henry.

Bev, what you are describing is (Frankfurt) Max Horkheimer's Critical Theory which is really the shaming and humiliating of white people. A form of psychological warfare that can be grounds for civil and even criminal action if one partner in a relationship tried to do something similar against the other (partner).

Here's a 27 page pdf you might find to be of interest.

http://gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/kellne...orysociety.pdf

Old June 5th, 2011 #5
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
Bev, what you are describing is (Frankfurt) Max Horkheimer's Critical Theory which is really the shaming and humiliating of white people. A form of psychological warfare that can be grounds for civil and even criminal action if one partner in a relationship tried to do something similar against the other (partner).

Here's a 27 page pdf you might find to be of interest.

http://gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/kellne...orysociety.pdf
Thanks! "Enforced culture" - - perfect phrase. God forbid anyone should be allowed to think for themselves, or to decide what feels morally right on any given issue. "....unthinking acceptance of whatever is offered by mass society, from television to the nuclear arms race". I imagine they would be delighted beyond their wildest dreams if they could see how effective the TV is in influencing people's viewpoints on any given issue.

Old June 5th, 2011 #6
Henry.

Quote:
Thanks! "Enforced culture" - - perfect phrase.... I imagine they would be delighted beyond their wildest dreams if they could see how effective the TV is in influencing people's viewpoints on any given issue.
The TV of course caters for, and develops, much of the addictive behaviour that some here care to ignore or dismiss.

Is there anything more perverse than the morbidly obese couple who sit watching endless cookery programs only rising from their slumber to go to the front door to collect yet another pair of 18 inch pizzas, delivered to them as the kebabs and lager were the night before; by a newly arrived immigrant from Iraq?

Old June 5th, 2011 #7
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
The TV of course caters for, and develops, much of the addictive behaviour that some here care to ignore or dismiss.

Is there anything more perverse than the morbidly obese couple who sit watching endless cookery programs only rising from their slumber to go to the front door to collect yet another pair of 18 inch pizzas, delivered to them as the kebabs and lager were the night before; by a newly arrived immigrant from Iraq?
Don't worry! The Change4Life symbol is here to combat the above!
Quote:
Supermarkets will be allowed to use logos from a government healthy-eating campaign to sell oven chips, mayonnaise and dairy spreads in return for more cash for the struggling campaign.

Change4Life was heavily affected by health secretary Andrew Lansley's decision to block nearly all spending on marketing. Website hits fell by two-thirds, while 90% fewer people joined the programme, which was designed to encourage healthier lifestyles through better eating and more exercise.

Previously only vegetables and fruit could be promoted by the Change4Life logos and its marketing messages. As part of the new deal, supermarkets and other food and drink companies involved will increase funding for the programme from £12m a year to £15m.

Fat and dairy spreads that can be endorsed must contain less than 41% fat. Only oven chips that contain less than 20g of fat and 5g of saturated fat per 100g can be promoted. And the government insists that only low fat mayonnaise is eligible for promotion.

Christine Haigh, from the Children's Food Campaign, said: "Research from the Food Standards Agency shows that, rather than encouraging people to switch brands, such advertising actually increases demand for the food, the low fat and full fat options."

Professor Tim Lang, a government adviser on obesity, said he feared Change4Life was now just providing cheap advertising for supermarkets.

Diane Abbott, shadow public health minister, said: "The reason our children are the fattest generation ever is they eat more sugar-laden and fat-laden processed foods than any previous generation."
h t t p://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jun/05/healthy-oven-chips-get-government-go-ahead

A nice, healthy symbol that people associate with fresh fruit and veg is now going to be stuck on chips and mayonnaise! That'll work!

Old June 5th, 2011 #8
Bob 88
This Time The World !

There was a time when working class folk were portrayed as salt of the earth types, hard working sometimes a bit dodgy but basically good eggs, look at Steptoe and Fools and Horses for example.

I noticed a change in the 80's with Rab C Nesbit, I used to laugh at it but then I began to realise how offensive and stereotypical it was
I've never watched Shameless but I suspect that none of the characters are attending college/university trying to better themselves as many people from sink estates - myself included have done ?.

The middle class liberals need someone to Hate and Mock, Filth like shameless seem to fit the bill !.

Old June 5th, 2011 #9
Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 88 View Post
There was a time when working class folk were portrayed as salt of the earth types, hard working sometimes a bit dodgy but basically good eggs, look at Steptoe and Fools and Horses for example.

I noticed a change in the 80's with Rab C Nesbit, I used to laugh at it but then I began to notice how offensive and stereotypical it was
Bob, you can go back to the 1960s and pull out shows like Till Death Us Do Part which contained the full spectrum of white working class 'crimes' from anti-Semitism to racial prejudice to workshy whites and religious bigotry. This was followed by shows like Love Thy Neighbour in the 1970s.

Stupid White People

Old June 5th, 2011 #10
John Bull

Default What the waves are saying

Its a very clever way of demonising your enemy - belittling them. It reminded me of the Walter Scott novel: Ivanhoe in which the Norman invaders persecute the Saxons financially, and socially by way of portaying them as bestial and awkward with an inelegant tongue. The jews have a role too as financiers.
The English are becoming increasingly like their saxon forbears persecuted in their own land athousand years ago, but it's much more dangerous this time due to the demographic dilution that didn't happen after 1066 and all that.

Old June 5th, 2011 #11
VikingWarrior
Kill The 'Kwa

The Working Class in Britain and the Middle Class in the 'Kwa has been targeted for destruction.

Old June 5th, 2011 #12
andy

Quote:
Spot on. Rep coming, if it lets me. They do it in almost every popular programme. Eastenders is currently giving us a wonderful, heartwarming tale about a black girl who has overstayed her visa. She is a christian, at university trying desperately to finish her exams before being deported, very clever, very kind to old ladies and kittens and so on and so on. She was about to be deported when the day was saved by a friend offering to marry her.

It's truly touching that this sham marriage has touched the hearts of millions and perhaps sham marriages aren't really so bad after all, if they're all like this.

Another Eastenders storyline features a gay couple, one of them muslim. (Note that they couldn't get a muslim actor to kiss another male actor, so they had to get an Italian to play him) and how dreadful that they can't have a baby. They've done surrogacy, that didn't work, so now they're looking at adoption. The nation has its fingers crossed that the muslim's parents stop their ridiculous bigotry and come through with the references and picture of happy home life that is needed.

Casualty touched on people smuggling last night with a depiction of terrible scars on an African (?) woman's back. Her sisted had died in the lorry they were smuggled in, so she hummed "Abide with me" to get her through her loss. Did you get that, nation? "Abide with me". She's a christian, just like you.

It can never be said too many times - when something (the BBC) is funded by the state and uses the state to collect an enforced payment from the public, it will inevitably become a mouthpiece of the state and push the state's message.
All ballocks you obviously watch it avidly why are you not a multi cult dyke then ? Or are you "special" If it is niether and you are a typical tv viewer then it is fair to presume most other viewers are apalled and or incited by the storylines as opposed to adopting the lifestyles offered by schmuckenders

Chase them into the swamps

Old June 5th, 2011 #13
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
All ballocks you obviously watch it avidly why are you not a multi cult dyke then ? Or are you "special" If it is niether and you are a typical tv viewer then it is fair to presume most other viewers are apalled and or incited by the storylines as opposed to adopting the lifestyles offered by schmuckenders
Do you remember a thread from last year where I analysed an episode in which a character's newborn had died of cot death, and she swapped the baby with another character's baby born on the same day? Women all over the country whose own babies have died from cot death were reporting that their friends had suddenly started looking at them differently and they reported feeling as though they were expected to turn babysnatcher at any moment.

Do you remember the Eastenders link I provided which stated that the Government had asked Eastenders writers to remove the shockhorror from HIV and make it clear that heterosexuals could contract the disease? They accomplished that by making a popular and heartthrob character contract HIV from his terminally ill wife who, I think, had been injecting drugs for the pain from her brain tumour. Think about how and when the attitude to HIV changed and you can probably, without googling, tell me the rough year that attitudes changed so dramatically.

Now, whilst many might say that the knowledge that heterosexuals could contract HIV was a good message to spread, the fact still remains that a soap opera and a fictional character was instrumental in changing the attitude of the masses towards HIV. If it can push a good message, it can sure as hell push a damaging one.

These examples prove conclusively that people are affected by the storylines seen on popular programmes. It is more fair to presume that I am in the minority and can see the hidden subtext of these stories whereas most other viewers can't.

Old June 6th, 2011 #14
andy

Quote:

These examples prove conclusively that people are affected by the storylines seen on popular programmes. It is more fair to presume that I am in the minority and can see the hidden subtext of these stories whereas most other viewers can't.
That is very conceited of you,why should you be special ? and everyone else a rube ? It is grotesque people and by peoiple I am talking about normal working people with jobs do not allow eastenders storylines to dictate their lives.That this may not be the case in the turnip wastelands I can well believe the rubes up there in the mono racial - three for a pound- poom poom pant wearing workshy moaty fans believe any ballocks they are told or even see in the tea leaves

Old June 6th, 2011 #15
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
That is very conceited of you,why should you be special ? and everyone else a rube ? It is grotesque people and by peoiple I am talking about normal working people with jobs do not allow eastenders storylines to dictate their lives.That this may not be the case in the turnip wastelands I can well believe the rubes up there in the mono racial - three for a pound- poom poom pant wearing workshy moaty fans believe any ballocks they are told or even see in the tea leaves
Conceited? Not really - but if I am, then perhaps you are too since you claim that you are completely able to resist any form of advertising whatsoever and will go hungry or sit in a bare house if you are unable to obtain your usual brand or style.

Subtle. That's the word. It's not allowing storylines to dictate their lives. Soap characters are almost like friends - we know their secrets, we've watched them grow up, we invite them into our house and see them more often than we see members of our own family. It's only natural to empathise with them and what they face. Eastenders is famous for controversial storylines and as I related above, attitudes HAVE been changed because of their storylines featuring popular characters. They even admitted it in the case of the HIV storyline so why you go to such lengths to deny it, I have no idea. Oh - and it's normal, working class people I am talking about.

Old June 6th, 2011 #16
andy

Quote:

Subtle. That's the word. It's not allowing storylines to dictate their lives. Soap characters are almost like friends - we know their secrets, we've watched them grow up, we invite them into our house and see them more often than we see members of our own family. It's only natural to empathise with them and what they face. Eastenders is famous for controversial storylines and as I related above, attitudes HAVE been changed because of their storylines featuring popular characters. They even admitted it in the case of the HIV storyline so why you go to such lengths to deny it, I have no idea. Oh - and it's normal, working class people I am talking about.

Anyone thinking a TV character is one of their friends is by definition an imbecile.That is the logical conclusion of your argument.What plans do you have to sign up mongols and gimps to "the movement" ?

Old June 6th, 2011 #17
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Anyone thinking a TV character is one of their friends is by definition an imbecile.That is the logical conclusion of your argument.What plans do you have to sign up mongols and gimps to "the movement" ?
From a man who commissioned a painting of Marlene Dietrich to try and win a forum argument, no less! Why did you do that? Couldn't have been for her political viewpoint. Do you class yourself as a "mongol and gimp"?

I didn't say they were friends, I said they were LIKE friends. Crucial difference. They're familiar faces. If you watch the shows, you begin to empathise with the situations.

Old June 6th, 2011 #19
andy

Quote:
From a man who commissioned a painting of Marlene Dietrich to try and win a forum argument, no less! Why did you do that? Couldn't have been for her political viewpoint. Do you class yourself as a "mongol and gimp"?

I didn't say they were friends, I said they were LIKE friends. Crucial difference. They're familiar faces. If you watch the shows, you begin to empathise with the situations.
Friends are Friends I don't know what you do but I don't categorise my friends they either are or are not friends.As to my commissioning the portrait it was to underscore reality and tempt the ignorant,alas the subtlety was missed by the simpletons.I am not going to explain it for the turnip bashers.Though I gave away a clue when I pointed out the state department paid her telephone bill.
I am niether a mongol or a gimp I do not swill beer in public,encourage children to burn gollies,wear poom poom pants or allow myself to accept simple solutions like a frankfurted rube.

Old June 6th, 2011 #20
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Friends are Friends I don't know what you do but I don't categorise my friends they either are or are not friends.As to my commissioning the portrait it was to underscore reality and tempt the ignorant,alas the subtlety was missed by the simpletons.I am not going to explain it for the turnip bashers.Though I gave away a clue when I pointed out the state department paid her telephone bill.
I am niether a mongol or a gimp I do not swill beer in public,encourage children to burn gollies,wear poom poom pants or allow myself to accept simple solutions like a frankfurted rube.
LIKE friends. LIKE. See the difference between what I wrote and what you claiim I wrote?

So you do not swill beer in public? You do realise that "pub" is short for "public house", don't you? I don't believe anyone here encourages children to burn gollies, wears poom poom pants - perhaps with the exception of Vijay Coomar - or accepts simple solutions so I'm not quite sure what that's all about. If, however, by "accepting simple solutions" you mean that people accept that the increase in racism convictions is down to the introduction of racism laws, then I'll give you that one.

Tags
critical theory pdf, television

Thread