VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 22nd, 2009 #21
Marwinsing
Self-rated ***** 5 Star

Default Is this culture?

Or, to re-phrase the question slightly - did I ASK to be born in AFRICA? (not that I'm complaining but...)

Oh well... as Bob Whitaker succinctly puts it: "Africa for the Africans..." (so where do I fit in? - I'm OFFICIALLY BANNED from The West - NOW put THAT in yer pipes and smoke on it...)

The Truth: I'm not allowed to live in MY ANCESTRAL HOMELANDS.

Old October 24th, 2009 #22
Marwinsing
Self-rated ***** 5 Star

Thumbs up Gosh

Old October 24th, 2009 #23
Marwinsing
Self-rated ***** 5 Star

Thumbs up Markus Faustus!

Brotherman I cannot wait to yack with you again man! LOVE & SAHLOETS!!! M.

Old November 11th, 2009 #24
Marwinsing
Self-rated ***** 5 Star

Thumbs up Golgotha's Dream - A Prophetic Tale of Horror and Intrigue

Old November 11th, 2009 #25
jimmy smith

what the fuck?

Old November 18th, 2009 #26
Marwinsing
Self-rated ***** 5 Star

Thumbs up Woman as central theme and signifier in Western art

The picture which gave birth to Renaissance Art

Sandro Botticelli, The Birth of Venus (1486) Tempera on canvas, 172.5 cm × 278.5 cm

The picture which gave birth to Modern Art

Pablo Picasso, Les Demoiselles d’Avignon (1907) Oil on canvas, 243.9 cm × 233.7 cm

The picture which gave birth to Post-Modern Art

Tracey Emin, My Bed (1999) mixed media, dimensions variable

Wikipedia describes Botticelli’s Birth of Venus thus:

Quote:
Whatever inspired the artist, there are clear similarities to Ovid's Metamorphoses and Fasti, as well as to Poliziano's Verses.

The classical goddess Venus emerges from the water on a shell, blown towards shore by the Zephyrs, symbols of spiritual passions. She is joined by one of the Horae, goddesses of the seasons, who hands her a flowered cloak.

The effect is distinctly pagan, considering it was made at a time and place when most artworks depicted Roman Catholic themes. It is somewhat surprising that this canvas escaped the flames of Savonarola's bonfires, where a number of Botticelli's other alleged pagan influenced works perished. Botticelli was very close to Lorenzo de' Medici. Because of their friendship and Lorenzo's power, this work was spared from Savonarola's fires and the disapproval of the church.
They have this to say of Picasso’s Demoiselles:

Quote:
The work portrays five nude female prostitutes from a brothel on Avinyó Street in Barcelona. Each is depicted in a disorienting confrontational manner and none are conventionally feminine. The women appear as slightly menacing and rendered with angular and disjointed body shapes. Two are shown with African mask-like faces and three more with faces in the Iberian style of Picasso's native Spain, giving them a savage aura. In this adaption of Primitivism and abandonment of perspective in favor of a flat, two-dimensional picture plane, Picasso makes a radical departure from traditional European painting. The work is widely considered to be seminal in the early development of both Cubism and modern art.
And what about Tracey Emin’s Bed?

Quote:
My Bed is a work by the British artist Tracey Emin. It was exhibited at the Tate Gallery in 1999 as one of the shortlisted works for the Turner Prize. It consisted of her bed with bedroom objects in an abject state, and gained much media attention. Although it did not win the prize, its notoriety has persisted.

The artwork generated considerable media furore, particularly over the fact that the bedsheets were stained with body secretions and the floor had items from the artist's room (such as condoms, a pair of knickers with menstrual period stains, other detritus, and functional, everyday objects, including a pair of slippers). The bed was presented as it had been when Emin had not got up from it for several days due to suicidal depression brought on by relationship difficulties.
Beauty is everywhere - even in Tracey Emin’s Bed - but what does this say about where The West is headed? Granted, most artists are a troubled mob (I should know) but from the above triad of artworks clearly Botticelli’s piece trumps both Picasso and Emin in terms of pure loftiness in spirituality. The misogynic young Picasso, true to his Andalusian roots, managed to get his syphilis cured by a medical student friend whom he paid in kind with a painting then went on to become the most prolific artist of all time, a protean creator; and poor old Tracey, a tormented London libber of race-mixed descent, who is today in her late 40’s, after having surviving various battles with STDs and a few abortions, now rakes in millions as one of The Establishment Darlings and continues to create her woeful expressions in love long lost. It’s time for a Venus revival.

Pure ovary eggs, atoms and sperm cells rule!

Old November 18th, 2009 #27
Marwinsing
Self-rated ***** 5 Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy smith View Post
what the fuck?
You're damn right Jimmy, I wish I knew too!

Thread