VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 1st, 2022 #1
jagd messer

Default Aussie Slang

Haven't got a Brass Razoo

Australia's Famous Brass Razoo.Mythical Australian 'Brass Razoo.' WORTHLESS, but still worth Collecting.

Undoubtedly crude and ugly to look at, this coin has an interesting history. While it is a great talking point----its sheer pointlesness will ensure its popularity and astound people for generations to come.'Haven't got a Brass Razoo.' We've done a little homework on the origin of this phrase and the mythical coin.Clearly it's an Australian slang term. But there seems to be two conflicting theories as to its origin.One theory is that it originated in the trenches of WW1Aussie Soldier One: “I'm out of smokes Cobber. Can you lend me two bob until payday?”Aussie Soldier Two (turning his pockets out) :“Sorry Mate, I haven't even got a Brass Razoo.”The second theory suggests that it was first uttered in the Australian Goldrush of the 1860'sDigger One: “Have you found any gold mate?”Digger Two: “Gold? Sod all Bruce. Not even a Brass Razoo!”Unlike the pound in your pocket, being totally worthless to start with, it can't possibly decline in value. Sound economics!For those interested enough, there's a whole book on the Brass Razoo in the Australian National Library in Canberra.Triffling amount of money

A brass razoo refers to a triffling amount of money, notionally less than the smallest coin. In this regard, it is similar to a large number of small coins-references like plank, dam, cash, etc. The photo shows a novelty token.

Talk:Brass razoo - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ABrass_razoo

Thread