VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 16th, 2014 #21
Jason 916
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Yeah, that shit was funny; Damon Wayans was the star for me. Chappelle is hilarious, too.

Niggers: at least they're good for a laff.

Old January 16th, 2014 #22
Jason 916
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
As I've said, this Juice Weasel skit is the funniest thing I have ever seen.
His Fire Marshall Bill skits and Vanilla Ice and Snow parodies were gold.

Old January 16th, 2014 #23
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Guy named Ron White is fucking hilarious as well. Think Jeff Foxworthy but, you know, funny.
THIS. Tater Salad is a real howl. He did a riff on working a fair in the upper Midwest, Minnesota or Wisconsin, where he was paid in "coo-puns" instead of cash.....tore me all to hell....

Bill Murray is rightfully a comedy legend. I watched Stripes again the other night: "Chicks dig me..."....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old January 16th, 2014 #24
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
As I've said, this Juice Weasel skit is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Jim Carrey - The Juice Weasel - YouTube
Ted Nugent on meth...

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old January 16th, 2014 #25
Fabrizio

Bob Hope emulate Toṭ classic showmanship.

Old January 16th, 2014 #26
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 916 View Post
His Fire Marshall Bill skits and Vanilla Ice and Snow parodies were gold.
Jim carey does Vanilla Ice - YouTube

Imposter (Snow) - Jim Carrey - YouTube
I agree...

I forgot to list among Carrey's talents, he's as good a physical comedian as ever existed.

Old January 16th, 2014 #27
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
THIS. Tater Salad is a real howl. He did a riff on working a fair in the upper Midwest, Minnesota or Wisconsin, where he was paid in "coo-puns" instead of cash.....tore me all to hell....

Bill Murray is rightfully a comedy legend. I watched Stripes again the other night: "Chicks dig me..."....
Yeah, I've seen Ron White stuff, he's good. Read his book too, odd background. Was involved in business down in Mexico.

Chicks LOVE his voice too.

Not all comedy is the same.

Carrot Top does prop shtick. It's not supposed to be incredibly creative or clever, just sort mild and dumb. And lucrative.

People always underestimate how dumb and mild the vast mass of Americans needs to have things to appreciate it. But they also estimate what a large market there is for intelligent stuff. There really is room for all kinds and types. Foxworthy doesn't bother me, I can see what he's doing. He's providing genial, mild humor you wouldn't mind your aging relatives hearing.

Old January 16th, 2014 #28
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Yeah, I've seen Ron White stuff, he's good. Read his book too, odd background. Was involved in business down in Mexico.

Chicks LOVE his voice too.

I don't know anything about his personal life - except that he's got a bulldog named Sluggo... He had one about his wife calling him up when he was on the road to bitch about Sluggo shitting on the rug:

"Well, just put a paper towel over it. I'll clean it up when I get home..."

Old January 16th, 2014 #29
The Bobster
Banned

Carrot Top is the poor man's Rip Taylor.

Old January 18th, 2014 #30
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Also sprach Dalton.

During the recent Polar Vortex (a new buzzword) that turned The Ohio Valley into one huge sagging proverbial witch's teat, I watched a lot of standup specials on Netflix. Dozens of them are listed.

Louis C.K. does a bit on how great it is to be white that drew some awkward laughs. Pretty hot stuff, thought I. If he did that bit 10 years ago they would have ran him off the stage.
The feminists love him. He panders to them. Not saying he isn't funny, but he's definitely leftist. I've never posted any of that here but I will next time I come across it. We'll just make this the #1 comedy thread.

Carrey can do anything. Physical comedy is not easy. John Ritter could do it. Look at the videos - that shit he's doing as Vanilla Ice - he makes it look easy, that's not easy at all. The first time you watch Pet Detective - magical. it doesn't get much funnier than a couple of scenes in that movie. Hell, he was your hero Jim Morrison in the Doors, and I thought pulled that off pretty plausibly. I can't think of any other comedian who can do even half of what he does, let alone as well.

He can do physical comedy better than anyone who ever lived, as far as I know. He has a much broader range than Ritter or Chevy Chase. He can stab people in speeches - as he did to Shia LeBoof (sp) at Golden Globes (i read, did not see this). He can act straight, as Morrison.

Yes, I know people don't like it, but that's a matter of taste. But he is a genius, there is absolutely no doubt about that. Most of these guys are one-trick ponies. They have a standup act. They write some bits. Maybe they make a movie or a limp sitcom - playing themselves. Ok, that's fine. He's so far beyond this type it's not even funny. If anything standup is his weakest area. People are used to thinking of comedy as dry wit, but that's easy comedy. The physical, over the top stuff that he does, or that Benny Hill did is much harder than the understated ironical stuff. He can also do perfect voice work - perfect impressions, singing or talking. His talent is simply off the charts. Genius is the only word to describe him. Come up with one person who can do 50% of what he can do with his body, let alone voice, not to mention combined, I can't think of anyone, and I've seen most of what's out there.

I LIKE understated stuff. I like all comedy, even prop garbage like The Top specializes in. I just like over the top, hyperbolic stuff more, and I feel it's underrated. What's so great about being lukewarm funny because you're afraid to admit you're trying to be funny - that's the problem. You're an entertainer. Be funny. We see the same problem in writing. Man, when I write stuff, you're goddam right I'm trying to be funny. I'm trying to be smart. I'm performing. No bones about it. Otherwise, I'm wasting people time, that's my puritan play ethic, I suppose. I know you feel it too, because your posts are always intelligent and often funny. So you put effort into them. So much writing - so many writers - Jesus...they write like there's a reward for being boring, or saying the same stupid shit everyone else does in the same stupid words. That's not why one writes, if one is serious. Man, you're on the stage. GIVE ME SOMETHING.

You know?

Carrey gives me a LOT. He makes me HAPPY. I just bubble and giggle watching him. I hope he has TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and a glorious private life. Man, the world is rough. Performers and writers are supposed to feed us spiritually, and alleviate just a tiny fraction of the roughness and wear. When I watch him as the Juice Weasel, it's just glorious. He's got uber-energy, it's just over the top, that's how stuff is supposed be done. It's inspiring and uplifting. How can anyone not watch that and not feel just bubblingly happy?

"Trying too hard" -- ok, but you're not supposed to watch him in that cool marine in oakley's in muscle car mode, you're supposed to give in to the mania, let the Carrey tsunami take you for a ride.

Carrey hasn't lost that certain "zest for life," and he fills you up, just watching him with his exuberant, overflowing joyousness. I NEED that. Humanity NEEDS that. We GET THAT from him. That's how it's supposed to be.

Ok enough gushing from me. I just love the guy. He makes me happy. That's a big deal. To me. And many feel the same way,

But really, I like almost all comedy. Even bad, dumb stuff. christ, even monty python. Christ, I don't even hate The Doors anymore. I really like that movie, at least parts of it.

I can't help but personalize stuff. God, I remember taking a shit and I was reading this P.J. O'Rourke article about the Sandinistas, and he was mocking Bianca Jagger so wickedly cool, I'm like goddam, this is SO FUCKING GOOD, this is what I want to do for people I want to cause them to feel the way I do right now, my god how awesome.

That's what writing is, what satire is. Man, it's hard to feel things. And the older you get the harder it is. Writers should perform and inspire and put some fucking art and learning into their stuff and make an effort. Most of what's out there is dumb plodding. The few capable of deep learning expressed with uh production values should be celebrated. It's the greatest thing on earth. People don't just need food, they want TRANSCENDENCE - that's what Carrey-Morrison said in the Doors movie in what'd i'd call the climactic scene. They don't want just a two-car garage and picket fence, they want a little taste of something HIGHER. You GET THAT from TRUE artists like Carrey or O'Rourke, before he gold old and whored out to the warmongering neocons.

We talk about so much shitty stuff, it's good to celebrate stuff too, like great artists or newfound species.

Last edited by Alex Linder; January 18th, 2014 at 03:39 AM.

Old January 18th, 2014 #31
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
I don't know anything about his personal life - except that he's got a bulldog named Sluggo... He had one about his wife calling him up when he was on the road to bitch about Sluggo shitting on the rug:

"Well, just put a paper towel over it. I'll clean it up when I get home..."
Read his book, it's pretty good. I forget what it's called. He's had some adventures.

Old January 18th, 2014 #32
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

It was Val Kilmer playing Morrison in the movie. If you're talking about the Oliver Stone film, I mean.

The thing that raised an eyebrow for me was Louis CK using the word nigger in a bit. Nervous laughter (and a few groans) from what had to be a 90%+ white audience. They were obviously uncomfortable.

He must have the official seal of approval, because I can't think of too many comedians (who are regarded as being 'white') who could pull that off without instantly being eviscerated by the media.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; January 18th, 2014 at 05:33 AM.

Old January 18th, 2014 #33
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:

Christ, I don't even hate The Doors anymore.
Only took 10 years. I knew you would come around. They always do.

Get heer. We'll do the rest.

Old January 18th, 2014 #35
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
It was Val Kilmer playing Morrison in the movie. If you're talking about the Oliver Stone film, I mean.

The thing that raised an eyebrow for me was Louis CK using the word nigger in a bit. Nervous laughter (and a few groans) from what had to be a 90%+ white audience. They were obviously uncomfortable.

He must have the official seal of approval, because I can't think of too many comedians (who are regarded as being 'white') who could pull that off without instantly being eviscerated by the media.
You're right, re Kilmer. Carrey acted as Morrison at MTV awards.

Old January 18th, 2014 #36
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Only took 10 years. I knew you would come around. They always do.

Get heer. We'll do the rest.
Ha...I just don't hate them... They wear better than Led Zeppelin and most 70s rock. That shit is so overplayed and tiresome. Always thought Morrison was tongue in cheek, but maybe not. His volume of 'poetry' was to laugh at. Then again, someone else put that out long after his death.

Like I said...things get associated with stuff that isn't their fault. Sitting in a baseball van for eight hour trip up to Fresno. Get out, it's raining. Go to Wendy's. Eight hours back to So Cal. Raining the whole time. Listening to The Doors (not my choice) the entire way. Sitting in a van glum. One of the more extended periods of futility with matching ambiance I can recall.

Old January 18th, 2014 #37
Alex Linder
Administrator

Jim Carrey isn't a dimestore neurotic whining bitch like 9/10 comedians, six of whom are kikes. He's normal and Aryan. He can not only do perfect vocal impressions, he can make his face into the face of the person he's mimicking. I have not seen anyone else do this within 100 miles of his ability. He spent his youth working on this stuff in the mirror. Hours a day. Just watch his face move - it's extraordinary. There's no one else on earth that expressive, who can manipulate his facial features with that degree of control.

Old January 18th, 2014 #38
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Jim Carrey isn't a dimestore neurotic whining bitch like 9/10 comedians, six of whom are kikes. He's normal and Aryan. He can not only do perfect vocal impressions, he can make his face into the face of the person he's mimicking. I have not seen anyone else do this within 100 miles of his ability. He spent his youth working on this stuff in the mirror. Hours a day. Just watch his face move - it's extraordinary. There's no one else on earth that expressive, who can manipulate his facial features with that degree of control.
I could enjoy him much more if only he weren't a leftist turd - and worse still, a holier-than-thou Canadian one....

I thought Val Kilmer was fantastic as Morrison. Not a big fan of the Doors. I like The End (absolutely perfect for Apocalypse Now), Riders on the Storm, a few others. But wears better than Zeppelin? Uh...no, can't get behind that one.

Old January 18th, 2014 #39
ericthered
Idle Anger

Quote:
Ted Nugent on meth...
With Billy Graham eyebrows.

Just watched that vid, it's as he's possessed by the character he's playing, totally into it. Like Alex said, he's good at doing what he does and deserves to make a decent buck.

Old January 18th, 2014 #40
James Dovery

Quote:
Yep.

Opinions vary.

I don't see anyone else remotely as talented as Carrey, who can do first-rate faces, impressions, speech-jokes, standup, comic or dramatic acting.

It's a matter of taste; I wish it were a matter of science. Anyway, feel free to post a clip of something funnier.
That juice man clip...wow. My eyes were watering, haven't laughed that much in a long time. Thanks for posting that.

Tags
#1, comedy, jokes, television

Thread