VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 4th, 2010 #1
Bev
drinking tea

Default Prediction: Chavs dumping rubbish set to increase tenfold

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...bin-taxes.html

Quote:
The first pay-as-you-throw rubbish scheme is to be launched this year, raising fears of nationwide bin taxes.

Under the controversial plans, binmen will weigh each household’s weekly rubbish, with the council paying cash ‘rewards’ to the least wasteful homes.

Town hall chiefs say the scheme is designed to encourage green behaviour. And they insist those who continue to fill their dustbins will not be fined.

Pay-as-you-throw: Families will be rewarded for throwing away less waste

But critics say the pilot will lead to a system of rubbish incentives and fines in which large families pay more to have their bins emptied and electronic microchip ‘spies’ are placed in every wheelie bin.

Labour’s plans to boost recycling by encouraging pay-as-you-throw schemes were dealt a setback last year when no councils came forward to run trials.

Now the Liberal Democrat-run Bristol City Council is applying to the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs for permission to trial a voluntary scheme.

Under the local authority’s plans, residents of 2,362 homes in the city will be invited to take part in a sixmonth pilot.

Volunteers will be given a microchipped wheelie bin so the amount they throw out can be weighed and recorded, and the amount of waste per person calculated.

Residents will get cash payments depending on how much they manage to reduce their waste.

Gary Hopkins, the council’s environment spokesman, said: ‘The scheme will encourage residents to think about what they are throwing away and act as a thank you to those who help us by reducing their waste.

‘It will be completely voluntary, so people only sign up to it if they want to take part. There will be no penalty for participants who don’t manage to reduce their waste.’

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Council is already running a scheme in which residents are rewarded for recycling with vouchers they can spend in local stores.

The Tory authority won the backing of David Cameron for its incentive scheme. But if Bristol gets the go-ahead, it will be the first council to provide cash incentives for those who cut the amount of rubbish they send to landfill.

A Defra spokesman said: ‘We expect to receive a proposal on Monday by Bristol City Council to pilot rewarding people for reducing their waste.

'We understand that people will be able to opt into the scheme, and will consider the proposal carefully and the impacts on people and the environment before deciding whether it can go ahead.’

Defra was hoping to run five pay-as-you-throw pilots this year. However, out of 100 town halls, none was willing to risk introducing a potentially unpopular scheme.

The Conservatives’ local government spokesman Caroline Spelman said: ‘There’s a clear benefit in piloting genuine rewards in voluntary schemes to help people go green.

‘However, Labour ministers are still planning to impose bin taxes in any Labour fourth term, despite the unwillingness of councils to play ball.

‘Labour intend to impose bin taxes through back-door routes such as unelected Joint Waste Authorities and making them compulsory in so-called eco-towns.’

Old March 4th, 2010 #2
andy

More ruling liberal elite ballocks,it will only be targeted at the indigenous population.In London and south east which has plenty of ultra leftist and lib dem councils.All rubbish on non white estates and locales is taken without question or recycling or sorting.These same councils in the white areas impose penalties on non compliant households having first checked the denizens are not "new britons".
This gesture "ecology" can be used against the ruling elite if tackled correctly with real science to the fore.Unfortunately Griffin and a lot of his advisors belive in the same ballocks the libdems do on household waste

Chase them into the swamps

Old March 4th, 2010 #3
Joe Owens
Banned

Our society will sink further and further into the mire as more and more poison is feed to our people. The poison fed to me never had the effect it’s now having on our young. It was only meant to soften my generation up to destroy the next. Bad breeding was also necessary in breeding the right type of people they know will be predisposed to the effects of the poison. We truly will see the Mad Max society our enemies have planned for us.

Old March 4th, 2010 #4
Joe Owens
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
More ruling liberal elite ballocks,it will only be targeted at the indigenous population.In London and south east which has plenty of ultra leftist and lib dem councils.All rubbish on non white estates and locales is taken without question or recycling or sorting.These same councils in the white areas impose penalties on non compliant households having first checked the denizens are not "new britons".
This gesture "ecology" can be used against the ruling elite if tackled correctly with real science to the fore.Unfortunately Griffin and a lot of his advisors belive in the same ballocks the libdems do on household waste
The underclass dump anything anywhere they can. A lot of people are scum on most white council esates.

Old March 4th, 2010 #5
Joe Owens
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Owens View Post
The underclass dump anything anywhere they can. A lot of people are scum on most white council esates.
The underclass dumps anything in any bin and doesn’t care about recycling.

Old March 4th, 2010 #6
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Owens View Post
And if they get financially rewarded for having an empty/emptier dustbin, it doesn't take a mastermind to work out what's going to happen, does it?

Old March 4th, 2010 #7
fyc
fine young casuals

will they take into account the size of families or is it to persuade white people not to have too many children ? will they not count all the junk mail people receive such as takeaway leaflets (i get on average 2 a day). if they want to reduce rubbish, then manufacturers must be told to wrap their products more environmentally friendly, and not use too much wrapping. all this will do is encourage fly tipping.

Old March 4th, 2010 #8
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyc View Post
will they take into account the size of families or is it to persuade white people not to have too many children ? will they not count all the junk mail people receive such as takeaway leaflets (i get on average 2 a day). if they want to reduce rubbish, then manufacturers must be told to wrap their products more environmentally friendly, and not use too much wrapping. all this will do is encourage fly tipping.
That's a good point. I would love to see more stringent measures on junk mail. I easily fill three or four recycle bags a fortnight with paper and I bet only a quarter of a bag is *my* paper as in a newspaper or cardboard packet I have thrown away. The rest is all the unsolicited crap I get sent. I got 8 items of mail this morning and only two of them were actually *for* us - the rest was junk mail.

As for manufacturers wrapping - some things are ridiculous! Some products actually weigh less than the cardboard and cellophane they are wrapped in. (another reason to buy fruit and veg from a local shop or market stall).

Old March 4th, 2010 #9
Charlie-Horse
Elusive Pimpernel

I have to hold my hands up and say that I have too in the past dumped rubbish. My EX and I lived in a really rough area and it was practically the 'norm' to do this. I reckon as an ex-tipper I would say that rubbish tipping will increase in some areas, mainly lower working class, rats too will no doubt increase in numbers.

Old March 4th, 2010 #10
MWD

Most of London looks like a Third World Shanty town it will look and smell even worse than it does anyway. Theres already Rats, Chicken bones, Chewed Pig Feet on the floor. So now I will have to be even more carefull where I tread because the chavette race traitor rabit like retards will be dumping their mongerals used dipers in the streets and sanitary products and god knows what else. Their will be more fires on estates when the scum dump it in a car park and set light to it.

Old March 4th, 2010 #11
Charlie-Horse
Elusive Pimpernel

Well, in my defence, when I tipped, it was before the ultra luxurious days of the wheelie bin. Black bags were used instead, and they tended to fall victim to the packs of wandering savage mongrels, which often roamed the estate freely. What I and others did may sound in-excusable, and in today's wheelie binned environment probably is, but then it was perhaps a way of escaping the horror of torn plastic waste bags, with the simply delightful accompanying half chewed rubbish extravaganza strewn across the gardens.

Old March 4th, 2010 #12
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-Boy View Post
Well, in my defence, when I tipped, it was before the ultra luxurious days of the wheelie bin. Black bags were used instead, and they tended to fall victim to the packs of wandering savage mongrels, which often roamed the estate freely. What I and others did may sound in-excusable, and in today's wheelie binned environment probably is, but then it was perhaps a way of escaping the horror of torn plastic waste bags, with the simply delightful accompanying half chewed rubbish extravaganza strewn across the gardens.
To be honest, I think we're moving back to that with all this nonsense about only emptying bins every two weeks. I recycle everything I can. I have a garden incinerator which I use. Cardboard tubes and such as teabag boxes etc make excellent guinea pig toys so they never see a bin, ditto any and all (with the exception of potato) vegetable peelings. I compost what I can and throw away very little yet I still find myself with a bin liner or two at the side of the bin each fortnight as do all the neighbours. We have thousands of cats around here, a canal and farm within spitting distance, so lots of rats, and also a fox and her family, so we regularly end up with bags scattered all over everywhere. Add to that the fact that the binmen refused to collect in the recent snow, ignore the street completely if someone has double parked and you can imagine what the estate looks like.

Old March 4th, 2010 #13
Charlie-Horse
Elusive Pimpernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
To be honest, I think we're moving back to that with all this nonsense about only emptying bins every two weeks. I recycle everything I can. I have a garden incinerator which I use. Cardboard tubes and such as teabag boxes etc make excellent guinea pig toys so they never see a bin, ditto any and all (with the exception of potato) vegetable peelings. I compost what I can and throw away very little yet I still find myself with a bin liner or two at the side of the bin each fortnight as do all the neighbours. We have thousands of cats around here, a canal and farm within spitting distance, so lots of rats, and also a fox and her family, so we regularly end up with bags scattered all over everywhere. Add to that the fact that the binmen refused to collect in the recent snow, ignore the street completely if someone has double parked and you can imagine what the estate looks like.
I am glad to say that the only wildlife issue we have around here with the exception of periodic rat infestation from the docks is sea-gulls. They are in fact, rats with wings, the local council employs a person with a hawk and they together disperse these terrors of the sky in short time. But, when they do arrive they really do 'shit' over everything and would love no doubt to rummage through waste bags. Sometimes when they are nesting, they dive- bomb anyone walking down the street, and with some people actually needing hospital treatment for cuts.

Tags
stupid ideas

Thread