Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > News & Discussion > Uncensored Europe + > United Kingdom
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old May 28th, 2017 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Nicola Sturgeon defends Jeremy Corbyn linking terrorism in UK to foreign policy - ?We must have the ability to have honest debates about foreign policy and security'

Nicola Sturgeon has defended Jeremy Corbyn's view that there is a link between the deadly attack in Manchester and UK foreign policy.

Speaking to Sky News’s Sophy Ridge, the Scottish First Minister denied Prime Minister Theresa May’s claims that Mr Corbyn had blamed foreign policy for the fatal bombing by Salman Abedi that killed 22 people at an Ariana Grande concert on Monday.

Ms Sturgeon said she was not giving an interview to “advocate for Corbyn” but said claims against the Labour leader's speech were “slightly unfair”.

“I heard Theresa May say that what Jeremy Corbyn was saying is that we only had ourselves to blame for what happened in Manchester,” she said.

“I don’t think that’s what he was saying. I don’t think it was what any right-thinking person would say, but we must have the ability to have honest debates about foreign policy and security here.”

The First Minister insisted there was nobody to blame other than the terrorist, and neither she nor Mr Corbyn was trying to justify the attack.

She also pointed to the former head of MI5, Baroness Manningham-Buller, who said in 2010 that the Iraq war had led to greater radicalisation in the UK.

Police deploy at scene of a reported explosion during a concert in Manchester, England, on May 23, 2017. British police said early May 23 there were "a number of confirmed fatalities" after reports of at least one explosion during a pop concert by US singer Ariana Grande. Ambulances were seen rushing to the Manchester Arena venue and police added in a statement that people should avoid the area

Members of the public receive treatment from emergency service staff at Victoria Railway Station close to the Manchester Arena on May 23, 2017 in Manchester, England. There have been reports of explosions at Manchester Arena where Ariana Grande had performed this evening. Greater Manchester Police have have confirmed there are fatalities and warned people to stay away from the area

Adding that terrorists want to undermine democracy, she said: “We’ve got to protect our ability to have healthy debates ... and I think we should be able to do that without anybody suggesting that anybody who criticises UK foreign policy – and I’ve got many criticisms of UK foreign policy – is in any way, shape or form trying to justify the horrific and dreadful actions of terrorists.”

Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale also backed Mr Corbyn on the Sky News show, saying he had given a “serious speech” that “should be considered in the round”.

“What he said was foreign policy has indeed contributed to what has happened and the rise in terrorism but it doesn't excuse it,” she said.

“We deserve to have a grown-up conversation about what is an immensely complex issue,” she added, “and sometimes the Tories approach this in a very cheap fashion to score points.”

Ms Sturgeon’s and Ms Dugdale’s comments followed Mr Corbyn’s remarks on Friday that there was a link between “wars our government has supported or fought in othe

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7759996.html

Thread