VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 21st, 2019 #1
ColdFire
Banned

Default "Racism" in entertainment ?

. . which movies, despite the age we are living in, would you still, by today's standards, deem as 'racist' ?Movies in which , for example , darkies (dark-skins ) are portrayed as 'evil' . . ?

I can think of a few . .

- Birth Of A Nation (from the early 20th century ,a movie without tone with subtitles ) . . It portrays newly freed black slaves as 'outlaws' , rapists . . . According to historical research there seems to be some truth to this . .

James Bond "Live And Let Die" ( I've mentined this movie in some threads here already . .) - A movie which deals with blacks in the Americas who more or less 'conspire' - from black thugs in New York to Southern blacks in New Orleans to Voodoo people in the Caribbean - all lead by a black gangster . .

- Star Wars ( I've already made a thread about supposed 'racist' undertones in SW in the 'media criticism' subforum . .) - what always struck me as striking is how practically ALL good guys in SW are portrayed as 'light-beings' while the baddies are often portrayed as 'dark' ,swarthy , savage and so on . . Even Star Wars today isn't free of political correctness yet I think a certain 'trend' in the storyline is visible . . .

- the Tolkien movies - In Tolkien's world 'darkies' are often the baddies . . especially the Uruk-Hai of Lord Of The Rings . . Also , pretty much like Star Wars , a story of 'light vs. dark'.

- the Indiana Jones movie 'Temple Of Doom' . . a movie also often in the critique of being 'racist' against East Indians . . They are portrayed as 'gloomy worhippers of evil gods' , the Caucasian phenotyped British army as heroes when they fight them , even East Indian eating habits are 'made fun of' as being 'unpleasant to Westerners' . . As it happens , like Star Wars , also a movie where George Lucas had his hands in . .

. . about a supposed motivation behind those respective movies . . 'Birth Of A Nation' certainly was free from jewed Hollywood back then and was not shy to portray Negro savagery . . 'Politically incorrect' by today's standards . . As for Bond "Live And Let Die" , it is common knowledge that Ian Fleming , the maker of James Bond , was a 'racist' by today's standards . .

As for Tolkien , it is always suspected that his supposed 'fictitious world' could be an allusion to our world . . .

On Lucas . . there are rumours that George Lucas' dad was a member of the KKK ( surprising as that may come across . .) . . Concerning 'Star Wars' . . It is the Jedi 'Knights' ( guardians of the Republic ) vs. a 'dark force' . . Inside the USA the KKK also claims to be there to 'protect Anglo-Saxon democracy' and oppose especially 'darkies' . . . Far fetched . .?

As for Temple Of Doom , also written by Lucas . . Dark-skinned East Indians are more or less portrayed as savages , strange etc . . .

- - -

Just a little observation . . what movies would you . . by today's standards . . view as 'racist' ?

Thread