Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 1st, 2018 #1
ColdFire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bremen ,Germany
Posts: 2,395
Default Is it true that the "best" American English is spoken in California ?

. . by "best" I mean "most understandable" ?

I'm not very keen on American dialects/accents ( which is no surprise since I've never been there myself ) yet a friend of mine toured the USA last year . .

He toured through 15 different states all across the country . .
He said that he found the people in California the most easy to understand while in states like Mississippi he had a hard time . . .



Was that maybe his own impression or would Americans subscribe to that?


He was fortunate to not encounter many blacks though . . .

lol , apart from their destructive nature they have a bad babbling . . .





So . . is the best AE spoken in Cali ?

 
Old August 1st, 2018 #2
Ray Allan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9,110
Ray Allan
Default

Unfortunately, there is more Spanish, or the bastardized Mexican version of it should I say, being spoken in California today since Whites are now a minority in that state. As well as a sizable amount of Chinese, Korean, and about a hundred other languages. English spoken by natives of western US states generally have a flatter, more non-inflected tone than in other parts of the country as opposed to for example, Southern, Texan, New England, Boston and New York accents. Similar to what you would encounter in different regions and cities of the British Isles. Right there in Germany, you have North German, Bavarian, and other dialects and accents, right? I assume it's that way in California because Americans from all the rest of the country migrated to California in the past, so speech and accents eventually melded into a more monotonous tone over the years. It's the way I speak due to being born in the West, even though my father's side of the family came from Pennsylvania and my mother's were from Georgia, Texas and Oklahoma.
__________________
"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor
 
Old August 2nd, 2018 #3
ColdFire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bremen ,Germany
Posts: 2,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Unfortunately, there is more Spanish, or the bastardized Mexican version of it should I say . . .
Yes, I heard that there is a difference between Spanish in its 'purest' form ( Castilian ; Castilian is the 'purest' Spanish . .) and Spanish 'slang' spoken around the world . . . .


Quote:
. . being spoken in California today since Whites are now a minority in that state.
Yep , I'm aware of that too

I suppose instead of good American whiskey one day only Tequila will be poured in Cali . . .






Quote:
As well as a sizable amount of Chinese, Korean, and about a hundred other languages.
'Multiculti' at its finest . . .


https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=550702



Quote:
English spoken by natives of western US states generally have a flatter, more non-inflected tone than in other parts of the country as opposed to for example, Southern, Texan, New England, Boston and New York accents. Similar to what you would encounter in different regions and cities of the British Isles. Right there in Germany, you have North German, Bavarian, and other dialects and accents, right?
EVERY region worldwide has dialects . . .

As for Germany , you better believe we have . .

lol , for a long time there even WASN'T any 'standard German' language ( during the Middle Ages ) . . .

The first person who standardized German was the Protestant reformer Martin Luther . .


He used the tongue spoken in his region ( Upper-Saxony , Thuringia ) for his Bible translation around 1500, which would become the official language in place in all of Germany . . .

People who were raised in Germany can hear the difference whether someone is from Swabia , from the Rhine , from Westphalia , Northern Germany , Berlin , Saxony , Hesse and so on . . .


It's all explainable through the fact that in the beginning Germany was a merger of different Germanic tribes together . .

The Frisians had their own language , as had the Swabians and so on . .


One peculiar thing to mention from that is that today the best German is spoken in Northern Germany ( the region I hail from ) . .

Especially the Hannover region . .


I even once lived there . .

Originally the Northern Germans communicated in "Plattdeutsch" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German ) but were among the first to adapt Luther's form of German ( in the beginning only the 'upper-class' there , then in time the 'Plattdeutsch'-speakers became a minority . . .) . . .


This is what "Plattdeutsch" sounds like ( by the way , the artist even hails from my home town . . . )


( hope the vid is available in your coutry )

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronny_...ers%C3%A4nger)
Quote:
I assume it's that way in California because Americans from all the rest of the country migrated to California in the past, so speech and accents eventually melded into a more monotonous tone over the years.
May be . . I also once heard that California is the American state with the biggest German influence . . Can you confirm that ?

Quote:
It's the way I speak due to being born in the West, even though my father's side of the family came from Pennsylvania and my mother's were from Georgia, Texas and Oklahoma.
Then you have roots "all across the country"

There is also the cliche about Americans being the people worldwide who move the most in their life (from one location to the other that is . . .) . . Can you confirm ?






As for myself , I speak relatively , read that : relatively accent-free 'High-German' ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_German ) due to being born in Lower-Saxony and having lived in Hannover even though I sometimes fall into 'Northern-Germanisms' . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missingsch
 
Old August 2nd, 2018 #4
Nikola Bijeliti
Sex: Male
 
Nikola Bijeliti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 658
Blog Entries: 18
Nikola Bijeliti
Default

The best American English, as far as being grammatically correct is concerned, is spoken in New England. If you wanted to pin it down further, Yale English spoken in New Haven, Connecticut, is the absolute best.

As far as being easy to understand for a foreigner is concerned, California English may be the best because California has so many foreigners, so the language is flattened and dumbed down a bit. Boston English may be harder to understand because of the accent ("I pahked my cah in Hahvid Yahd"), but grammatically it is better.
 
Old August 2nd, 2018 #5
Ray Allan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9,110
Ray Allan
Default

Quote:
I also once heard that California is the American state with the biggest German influence..can you confirm that?
No, it isn't. California was originally founded as a Spanish colony and was later Mexican territory before becoming a US state in 1850. States like Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota are far more Germanic due to large numbers of Germans and Scandinavians who originally settled there.

Quote:
There is also the cliché about Americans being the people worldwide who move the most in their life (from one location to the other that is...)..can you confirm?
Basically true.
__________________
"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor
 
Old August 2nd, 2018 #6
ColdFire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bremen ,Germany
Posts: 2,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
The best American English, as far as being grammatically correct is concerned, is spoken in New England. If you wanted to pin it down further, Yale English spoken in New Haven, Connecticut, is the absolute best.

As far as being easy to understand for a foreigner is concerned, California English may be the best because California has so many foreigners, so the language is flattened and dumbed down a bit. Boston English may be harder to understand because of the accent ("I pahked my cah in Hahvid Yahd"), but grammatically it is better.
Like I said , I've never been to the US myself yet I heard that especially in Boston people are said to still have kind of a British accent . . .

As I have already pointed out in this post https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=550760 , the original pronounciation of the English spoken in the USA must have been British . . . . Over the course of time more and more Irish immigrated which eventually lead to the fact that the English spoken in the US more or less took on an Irish pronounciation . . . I suppose the New England states are still 'close' to this origin . . . .

But my point was which American English would be the best to understand . . . I admit that most Americans I have heard talk were on TV and even I noticed people from California talking quite 'understandable' . . . .

Hollywood ( besides being jewish to the core ) is located in California , where most movies are made . . . .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
No, it isn't. California was originally founded as a Spanish colony and was later Mexican territory before becoming a US state in 1850.
Oh , I'm aware of California's Spanish roots . . . .


The 'Legend Of Zorro' is set there . . . .

Yet what I meant was after it became part of 'Anglo'-America. . . .

Quote:
States like Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota are far more Germanic due to large numbers of Germans and Scandinavians who originally settled there.
You know your history

While we're at this subject , I heard that the most significant Scandinavian immigrant group to the US were Swedes . . . .



Quote:
Basically true.
Thanks for clarifying . . .

I also moved quite a few times in my life ( born in rural Lower-Saxony ) , raised in Bremen , also lived in Hannover and Bermerhaven , then moved back . . .

Yet I heard that Americans tend to move about 30 times during their life . . . . .

 
Old August 3rd, 2018 #7
Nikola Bijeliti
Sex: Male
 
Nikola Bijeliti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 658
Blog Entries: 18
Nikola Bijeliti
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFire View Post
I also once heard that California is the American state with the biggest German influence . . Can you confirm that ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
No, it isn't. California was originally founded as a Spanish colony and was later Mexican territory before becoming a US state in 1850. States like Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota are far more Germanic due to large numbers of Germans and Scandinavians who originally settled there.
California, like most U.S. states, was once majority German, but now Mexicans are in the majority. Much of rural United States is still majority German, however. All of the light blue counties on this map are majority German. That's like most of the county.

 
Old September 10th, 2018 #8
Erik T. White
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: The Deep South of the USSA
Posts: 3,759
Erik T. White
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
The best American English, as far as being grammatically correct is concerned, is spoken in New England. If you wanted to pin it down further, Yale English spoken in New Haven, Connecticut, is the absolute best.

As far as being easy to understand for a foreigner is concerned, California English may be the best because California has so many foreigners, so the language is flattened and dumbed down a bit. Boston English may be harder to understand because of the accent ("I pahked my cah in Hahvid Yahd"), but grammatically it is better.
I'd agree with the majority of the above. And, I keep forgetting, Nikola Bijeliti does good posting on Stormfront.
__________________
Whites are afraid to speak out against their enemies, let alone act out. This must change ~ Alex Linder
Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both. ~ Erwin Rommel
 
Old September 10th, 2018 #9
Ray Allan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 9,110
Ray Allan
Default

It would be interesting to know at what point the different American accents started developing from the English spoken by the original English colonists in the 17th century onward. Probably gradually within one or two generations. The Southern accent came from Scottish I believe, since many Scots originally settled the South, like some of my own family's ancestors. Don't know what specific regional English dialects influenced the North like New York, Boston, etc.

I wonder how this will develop in the future, in two or three centuries? If there are any White people still living in 2200 or 2300, I certainly hope so. Will regional accents disappear and 'California English' be the norm, along with new words, grammar and speaking styles like any language that changes and evolves over time?
__________________
"Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy."

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor
 
Old August 2nd, 2018 #10
ColdFire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bremen ,Germany
Posts: 2,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Unfortunately, there is more Spanish, or the bastardized Mexican version of it should I say, being spoken in California today since Whites are now a minority in that state.
Yep , I suppose subconsciously the Mexicans are still angry at the Anglo-Americans for incorporating two thirds of their territory many years ago . .



Some people call it the 'Reconquista'
( which is ironic since the original Reconquista was all about Germanics re-conquering the Spanish territory from the Muslims . .). .


In this so-called 'Reconquista' the roles are somewhat reversed. . Brown-skins supposedly re-conquering (((their))) territory . .


. . they try it by both (((legal))) and illegal immigration . .




Probably thinking one day they'll have the majority . .

Pretty much like the Muslims in Europe with their sheer numbers

 
Old August 3rd, 2018 #11
joeylowsac
RaHoWarrior-SKINHEAD
 
joeylowsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Shingletown, CA
Posts: 587
Blog Entries: 15
joeylowsac
Woodpecker

The accent of most whites here is quite neutral. There are some American accents that sound almost like another language.
[I was born in the Southern United States, my parents moved there from Scotland before I was born. Though much of my childhood was spent in Wiggin, in Lancashire, just below the Scotish border. I've lived in Northern California since '92.]
In Scotland, everyone says I have an American accent and in America, they say I have a Scottish (or often British) accent.
Many of the large cities here (e.g., Frisco, L.A., San Diego) are overrun with illegal immigrants who speak English sparingly, if at all.
__________________
卐 White ⊕ Power 卐
 
Old August 3rd, 2018 #12
ColdFire
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bremen ,Germany
Posts: 2,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylowsac View Post
The accent of most whites here is quite neutral. There are some American accents that sound almost like another language.
I'm not American but of course I have been exposed to many Americans talking ( whether on TV , movies , CDs etc . . .) . . .
Two things to mention are that I have noticed Californians mostly talking in quite a 'high' and gentle voice . .
The Texas accent for example sounds quite 'rough' and I think , despite not being American I would be able to figure it out . . .

Some Texans talking . .




Quote:
I was born in the Southern United States, my parents moved there from Scotland before I was born. Though much of my childhood was spent in Wiggin, in Lancashire, just below the Scotish border. I've lived in Northern California since '92.
Funny thing to mention , the American South was influenced by Scotland . . .

Many slave owners in the American South were of Scottish heritage ( factory owners , plantation owners . .) .

It is even claimed that the American Southern dialect was influenced by Scottish . . .

Also, look at the flag of the Confeferacy during the war of seccession . .


This is the Scottish flag . .


Similarity . . two askance stripes . . .

Apparently a lot of American Southerners were / are pround / aware of their Scottish heritage . .


Quote:
In Scotland, everyone says I have an American accent and in America, they say I have a Scottish (or often British) accent.




Quote:
Many of the large cities here (e.g., Frisco, L.A., San Diego) are overrun with illegal immigrants who speak English sparingly, if at all.
I suppose soon our nations even won't speak our native languages any more For example someone going to Stuttgart , Germany to learn Swabian will have learned Turkish or Kisualheli afterwards . .

 
Reply

Share


Thread
Display Modes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.
Page generated in 0.14242 seconds.