Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 21st, 2012 #21
Alex Linder
Administrator

treacle (good 19th-century word, think Shaw play, alt for syrup, good for stuff that's sweet-dumb mawkish and generally unmeaty)
pauciloquent (never noticed this word til today, will use it; it flows. of course, many other words express the same thing, so it's, as often, matter of sound and syllables required by sentence)
sartorial (fairly common adjectival for things of the tailor; good set-up word for discussing dress: ~ disaster, ~ mistake)
gnosis (good word, as gnostic, for any claim your opponent cant defend beyond that burning in his chest. whereas your case, based on evidence tied with logic, can be demonstrated to anyone; his is mere internal burning, like gonnorrhea)
glutician (elegant euphemism for faggot, butt-pirate, based off the gluteus maximus, the butt muscle the fag must negotiate to secure and puncture the bunghole of his, cough, beloved)

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 21st, 2012 at 08:10 PM.

Old March 21st, 2012 #22
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Ronsavelle View Post
anathema

malediction

imprecation
yep, all three good.

Old March 21st, 2012 #23
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

satrap -- I came across this not too long ago doing some research that led me to a case written shortly after the civil war. Satrap was used in reference to the military governing authority during reconstruction.

Last edited by Marse Supial; March 21st, 2012 at 08:30 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #24
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scabdates View Post
Bereft of understanding. Your flight plan.

In a word, "pusillanimous".

Likey? Hey Mikey!
Not sure what you're driving at. pusillanimous is a good word, it's exalted for cowardly or small minded; I use it often, and it's definitely a good one.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
satrap -- I came across this not too long ago doing some research that led me to a case written shortly after the civil war. Satrap was used in reference to the military governing authority during reconstruction.
Funny, I actually got in an argument over this word in college, and I think I was wrong, if you can believe that, which I personally cannot.

We were arguing either over satrap or satrapy, and whether a satrap referred to the man or the office/position. Something like that. I recognize the word but never do use it because I still am not sure exactly which it means.

Satrap (Persian: ساتراپ‎) was the name given to the governors of the provinces of the ancient Median and Achaemenid (Persian) Empires and in several of their successors, such as the Sassanid Empire and the Hellenistic empires.

The word satrap is also often used in modern literature to refer to world leaders or governors who are heavily influenced by larger world superpowers or hegemonies and act as their surrogates.[1]

Satrap Satrap

What's not clear to me is, does the satrap govern the satrapy? It's just not clear, at least to me.

Jones is Jenkins' satrap, appointed to run the satrapy in Dunkwana.

I think that's the right use of both terms, but as I'm not sure, I'm not going to presume to tutor others in the uses of this confusing word/concept.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #26
Steve B
Banned

I hate words. I have enough trouble with simple words let alone words like pusillanimous. I can't even pronounce pusillanimous. If I tried to use it in a conversation it would come out all fucked up so instead I say chickenshit.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #27
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
I hate words. I have enough trouble with simple words let alone words like pusillanimous. I can't even pronounce pusillanimous. If I tried to use it in a conversation it would come out all fucked up so instead I say chickenshit.
Well, for goodness sake, you don't write the way you speak. Didn't one of the original philosophers tells us to speak like other men?

These words are for show, for writing, for entertainment - for glory. As a reader, you should be able to recognize and enjoy them. They are not for lips, unless you are around other people who enjoy that particular kind of entertainment. If you break this rule, and use certain exalted words around regular people, they will think you pretentious.

Intelligence, in the 'Kwa, is better not revealed, at least not in public.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #28
Brooklyn Rick

Confusticate, gaffer

Old March 22nd, 2012 #29
Alex Linder
Administrator

As for the writer, one professional told me:

- a writer should know everything (not possible, of course, but useful as a north star - an ideal; the broadest intercourse with classes, classics and categories can only improve one's ability to educate and entertain)

- books are for your grandchildren - they are to be taken seriously, unlike so much shit that pours out of the nyc jew houses and vanity presses these days

Old March 22nd, 2012 #30
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
I don't believe you hate words, either. That's like saying you hate oversize tits and rumps.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #31
Alex Linder
Administrator

I love words. I like 'em like WASPs like animals, and fat kids like toaster strudel (non-jew Fay showed her genius in making that girl's father the inventor of toaster strudel. Strudel is inherently funny, and toaster strudel is even funnier). Words I enjoy like a kid playing with little soldiers, lining them up, sending them out to do glorious battle.

"Fine words butter no parsnips" - one of the dumbest things ever said, if you consider it out of context.

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 22nd, 2012 at 07:09 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #32
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Rick View Post
Confusticate, gaffer
gaffer's ok.

confusticate - what does it add that confuse doesn't? entertainment value? i don't find it funny. if i want to play with the syllables of confuse without obscuring its meaning, i can come up with better ways to do it.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #33
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Well, for goodness sake, you don't write the way you speak. Didn't one of the original philosophers tells us to speak like other men?

These words are for show, for writing, for entertainment - for glory. As a reader, you should be able to recognize and enjoy them. They are not for lips, unless you are around other people who enjoy that particular kind of entertainment. If you break this rule, and use certain exalted words around regular people, they will think you pretentious.

Intelligence, in the 'Kwa, is better not revealed, at least not in public.
But words hurt my brain. It takes too much thought to write down big words that I have to look up in the dictionary. Words should display action and activity especially in writing. When I read words like satrap and malediction I think to my self fuck i don't know what that means. It's like the writer is trying to out smart me and all I want to do is learn something or be entertained.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #34
Alex Linder
Administrator

[more great words]

minutiae - just an inescable word for classifying things to the right size, this word is a solid second baseman, it's just needed on your word-team; also good for discounting the value of something your enemy thinks important (don't trouble me with the minutiae from your grasshopper convocations).
vacillation
vaticination (pretty standard conservative-writer snob word; justifiable barely for variety's sake; another word in the hated class of words i cant remember despite repeated lookups; -- ~s are prophecies, predictions)

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 22nd, 2012 at 07:22 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #35
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
But words hurt my brain. It takes too much thought to write down big words that I have to look up in the dictionary. Words should display action and activity especially in writing. When I read words like satrap and malediction I think to my self fuck i don't know what that means. It's like the writer is trying to out smart me and all I want to do is learn something or be entertained.
Friend, perhaps you are at the wrong table. Seat yourself with the children, and I'll forward a waiter with the comic book and graphic novel menu.

The writer is a performer. He should be beautiful. Worthy of wasting time on. He should give you something, otherwise he's wasting your time. That's his ethic, or my ethic anyway. If I don't have something worth listening to, why the fuck am I typing? Writing is not about self-expression except to girls and idiots. Self-expression is inescably its by-product, it can hardly be otherwise, but it's a shit-poor motivation. If I want to express my feelings, I can dance and sing in private, or set fire to things, or throw rocks at squirrels. None of which waste others' time.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #36
Alex Linder
Administrator

temerity
equanimity
meet
mettle
cajole
inveigle
intransigent
condign
dipsomaniac
hector
jeremiad
spoor
tractable
gelid
pellucid
limpid
perfidy
truculent
feculent

Old March 22nd, 2012 #37
Alex Linder
Administrator

scrofulous
scabrous
putrescent
purulent
pariah
chimera
anomaly
anachronism
oleaginous
perfervid
gauche
licentious
inimical
paltriness
azygous
inane
asinine
unintelligible
ineffable
inchoate
maladroit
inimitable
groupuscule
insipid
miasma
variegation
maenads
physionomy
phrenology
phiz
vituperate
vilify
inveigh
objurgations
mercurial
brummagem
ululate
caterwaul
welter
wan
excrescence
chary
irrigate
riparian
vaunt
undulation
inanition
abrade
ennui
satiety
toilworn
infinitesimal
changeling
swale
cetacean
vagary
grampus
iniquitous
uniquitous
rank
fell
sirocco
zephyr
chinook
denouement
nictate
winsome
glean
sagacious
bon mot
scintillation
conceit
quiddity
conumdrum
jocose
crone (past age of beauty)
canid
mirabile dictu
copse
ligneous
palindrome
palimpsest
circumlocutory
moil
microcosm
carnal
profane
deification
doxology
soi-disant

[end sheet #6 - 209 words]

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 25th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012 #38
Tom Scabdates
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Not sure what you're driving at. pusillanimous is a good word, it's exalted for cowardly or small minded; I use it often, and it's definitely a good one.
You're buried in minutia. Some other time.

Old March 24th, 2012 #39
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Here's another one I ran across recently and had to look up: "paean"; pronounced as PEE-uhn; meaning a song of praise or joy. Not necessarily in the religious sense.

That is a habit my parents taught me as a kid: When I came across a word I did not know, they would not, usually, tell me what it meant; insisting instead that I look it up. In those days it meant trudging across the house and dragging out this big ol' thick dictionary they had bought for me and flipping through pages to find it. It's a lot easier now with online dictionaries and it's a habit that I'm trying to instill in my own kids.

And speaking of learning habits, not intending to derail the thread, my dad would be known on frequent occasion to ask me what I had learned today, usually but not always in reference to school. And he wouldn't let the subject go until I could articulate something that I had learned today (or at least very recently) that I didn't know before; even if it was seemingly insignificant. Sometimes, it was just the meaning of a word. And whatever it was that I came up with we'd end up having a father / son conversation about and that would always lead to me learning other things from him.

And "chary"; pronounced as CHAIR-ee; meaning -- No, you'll have to look it up.

Last edited by Marse Supial; March 24th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

Old March 24th, 2012 #40
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Janissary.

Thread