VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 28th, 2018 #1
ColdFire
Banned

Smile Movies you couldn't stop watching

By "couldn't stop watching" I mean in every sense . .

Which keep your eyes glued and / or which you could watch all over again every time . .

For me : All the newer movies based on Tolkien . .

The Lord Of The Rings /Hobbit movies . .

I've already said on this board that I think Tolkien's world bears a great resemblance to our world ( https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=551725 ) . .

But it's also the whole atmosphere . .

Sometimes I think I would prefer Tolkien's world to our world , actually . .

Everybody is loyal to their race , treachery is non-existent , and a lot of tradition . .

That song comes pretty close to Irish Folk if you ask me

So , the Tolkien movies , definitely . .

I have all of them on blue ray ( even extended version / director's cut ) and have watched them multiple times . .

I might add , a good way to forget about the world around you when things get a bit tough . . Takes you to a world where racial bondings exist . .

How 'bout you ?

Movies from which you do not want to miss a thing ?

Old October 28th, 2018 #2
Riley

Old October 29th, 2018 #3
ColdFire
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
Bwahahaha ! ! ! lol , yep , I've seen that one too.

Hilarious. . .

Guess what , as a kid I used to believe "zombies" were real.

Well , they (((may))) do exist but not what people generally have in mind.

. . i. e. those 'undead' creatures . . .

In Haiti ( the centre of Voodoo in the Western hemisphere ) a cult is practised which turns people into slaves without will . . .

Fine religion these groids follow . .

Old November 1st, 2018 #4
ColdFire
Banned

Smile

Little PM . .
Quote:
Coldfire,

thanks for an, as usual, interesting thread here

---> https://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=551835 But I respond in private since this admission is a bit shameful lol

One of my favourites is, believe it or not, 8 Mile featuring Eminem.

By no means do I mean to imply by that that I support the fact that now so many nigs live in Detroit, what I like about the movie is actually that it shows what life truly is like in the ghetto.

No nice-painting.
lol , yes that might be true . . . .

Before I would ever think I would set a foot on 8 Mile I think I'd prefer walking around it 500 miles . . .

Old December 15th, 2018 #5
ColdFire
Banned

Smile

"Ghostbusters" . . Part 1 from back in the 80's

I still believe . . it's magic . .

Old December 18th, 2018 #6
ColdFire
Banned

Well , not meaning to 'praise' Germany per se ( or something like that ) with this , yet . . .

Now, Germans worldwide don't exactly have the "reputation of being quite humourous" , lol , but I suppose that wouldn't be visible by this movie , lol . .

It more of less is a persiflage on the world of Karl May (who happened to be German but wrote many 'Westerns' . . .) . .
The story is set like that of "Winnitou & Old Shatterhand" just that the Appache chief in this parody has a gay brother and other things have also been added . . . lolz . . .

lol
It was the only movie by "Bully" Herbig I liked though..

His later attempt at making a science-fiction parody based on Star Trek/-Wars I didn't like . . .

lol . .
This more or less tells where these other movies can go . . . .

Old January 2nd, 2019 #7
Donncha Dennis

For me it has to be the 2004 version the Alamo

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nqTzJCFsZ5...he+Alamo+1.jpg

can watch it at any time in any place of the movie and just be glued it never was a super box office hit but it sure captivates me everytime I watch it.

Old January 2nd, 2019 #8
Ray Allan

Plan 9 from Outer Space.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old January 2nd, 2019 #9
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Default Night of the Hunter from 1955

No flashing lights, in Black and White, and more captivating than any award-winning garbage heap of today.

Gish and Mitchum are amazing.

Charles Laughton was so criticized for this film that he was shaken up enough to never make another. That's too bad.

Some interesting things: Laughton hated directing children, so Mitchum directed the boy and girl in the film. They were great.

It is based on a true story but the ending was changed.

A traveling preacher who was murdering widows. It was in the paper but the true ending was that a woman with a boy, a girl, and a baby were all killed.

In the film, John and Pearl and her doll full of money are not killed--that ending dreamy sequence with Gish is all fantasy, but with a purpose in story-telling.

That's what film can't do today that it did then: tell a story.

If you aren't painting a picture and telling a story, you don't have a film.

A couple more great ones similar are 'Our Town' and 'I Remember Mama' although they are very different films. The similarity is in capturing a time-period and telling a story without 'bling'.

Old January 3rd, 2019 #11
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

A great movie, but I found it hard to take and have only seen it once. You really feel angry and drained, they capture the essence of the situation and the evil of Nurse Ratchet so well.

Same with a movie called 'Casualties of War' with Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn--extremely well done but could only watch it once. Fox was really underrated IMO, he can be a really brilliant actor. Comedy or tragedy, he can do both.

(((Penn))) plays a disgusting evil shithead, which he does well. He also does 'retarded feeb' quite well. He is NO director though.

He ruined 'Into the Wild', a book I really liked. The movie sucked and the family of the boy thought so too.

He also directed a piece of crud called 'Tree of Life' which the critics raved about so I got it and it was so bad: an attempt at being artsy, one section of the film is simply a boy's rambling thoughts--about 30 minutes of 'thoughts' with 'scenes' but no dialogue, and then we literally go into outer space like we are back in the womb, with ambient womb sounds for a moment---that moment lasts about a half hour---then he brings us back into real-time, in Dallas, TX the evil-looking glass building monstrosity that it is....message being 'we carry our experiences with us and everything in the Universe is inter-connected' but to get to that message you have to wade through the most boring garbage ever.

Disguising garbage as art is something they've been doing for a long time--almost seems like an experiment to see what they can get people to consume and put up with.

That was the last film I let 'the critics' tell me was 'great'.

Last edited by Emily Henderson; January 3rd, 2019 at 12:16 AM.

Old January 3rd, 2019 #12
Gladiatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Henderson View Post
A great movie, but I found it hard to take and have only seen it once. You really feel angry and drained, they capture the essence of the situation and the evil of Nurse Ratchet so well.
Read the Ken Kesey novel. Movie only scratches the surface.

Old January 3rd, 2019 #13
Enbyeff

Zulu: "Front Rank! FIRE!! Second Rank! FIRE!!"

The Man Who Would Be King

Get Carter (See a certain Cockney pattern with these 3?)

The Day of the Jackal

The Hill

Apocalypse Now, especially Brando's unforgettable Col. Kurtz: "Then it hit me. Like a bullet - a diamond bullet: 'My god. The genius of that. The GENIUS....'"

The Boys From Brazil: so many great scenes, especially the shit-yerself hilarious showdown between Mengele & kike Lieberman....

The Parallax View: the scene with Beatty taking the test - the wholesome & gentle images & music at the beginning, then very gradually getting more & more disturbing - a perfect atmosphere of shadowy paranoia. Bill McKinney was always great as a creepy heavy, and the guy who played the soft-spoken Parallax recruiter was superbly sinister.

Cape Fear (the original):heavy-lidded Mitchum at his most menacing as vengeful ex-con Max Cady. Polly Bergen, who played Peck's wife, said that when Mitchum broke those eggs & smeared them on her exposed shoulders & upper chest then roughed her up she was so terrified she burst into tears.

No Country For Old Men: Bardem's assassin Chigurh is one of the scariest villains ever.

Father of the Bride: Spencer Tracy was classic Hymiewitz' greatest actor.

The Little Foxes: That old bitch Bette Davis was Tracy's distaff near-equal; the scene with her sitting like a pop-eyed statue as her husband collapsed on the stairs, begging for his heart medicine....

Life With Father: William Powell & Irene Dunne were terrific.

The Bank Dick: Fuck Grouchp Marx; WC Fields was the funniest man ever.

Double Indemnity: fantastic in every way. Fugly-ass jew "Edward G. Robinson" stole the show as actuarial man Barton Keyes.

(Giving credit where it's due, "Robinson" was a truly great actor: Little Caesar, Key Largo, The Cincinnati Kid as poker master Lancey Howard, Soykent Green - that incredibly moving scene in the suicide clinic (he was really dying at the time, too), on & on.)

White Heat

Wings: 1st Oscar for Best Picture. Clara Bow was so drop-dead gorgeous & charismatic.

Dr. Strangelove: the greatest black comedy ever made.

Old January 3rd, 2019 #14
Gladiatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enbyeff View Post

Apocalypse Now, especially Brando's unforgettable Col. Kurtz: [I]"Then it hit me. Like a bullet - a diamond bullet: 'My god. The genius of that. The GENIUS....'"
I knew I forgot one. Read the Joseph Conrad novel.

Old January 3rd, 2019 #15
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Zulu: "Front Rank! FIRE!! Second Rank! FIRE!!"

The Man Who Would Be King

Get Carter (See a certain Cockney pattern with these 3?)

The Day of the Jackal

The Hill

Apocalypse Now, especially Brando's unforgettable Col. Kurtz: "Then it hit me. Like a bullet - a diamond bullet: 'My god. The genius of that. The GENIUS....'"

The Boys From Brazil: so many great scenes, especially the shit-yerself hilarious showdown between Mengele & kike Lieberman....

The Parallax View: the scene with Beatty taking the test - the wholesome & gentle images & music at the beginning, then very gradually getting more & more disturbing - a perfect atmosphere of shadowy paranoia. Bill McKinney was always great as a creepy heavy, and the guy who played the soft-spoken Parallax recruiter was superbly sinister.

Cape Fear (the original):heavy-lidded Mitchum at his most menacing as vengeful ex-con Max Cady. Polly Bergen, who played Peck's wife, said that when Mitchum broke those eggs & smeared them on her exposed shoulders & upper chest then roughed her up she was so terrified she burst into tears.

No Country For Old Men: Bardem's assassin Chigurh is one of the scariest villains ever.

Father of the Bride: Spencer Tracy was classic Hymiewitz' greatest actor.

The Little Foxes: That old bitch Bette Davis was Tracy's distaff near-equal; the scene with her sitting like a pop-eyed statue as her husband collapsed on the stairs, begging for his heart medicine....

Life With Father: William Powell & Irene Dunne were terrific.

The Bank Dick: Fuck Grouchp Marx; WC Fields was the funniest man ever.

Double Indemnity: fantastic in every way. Fugly-ass jew "Edward G. Robinson" stole the show as actuarial man Barton Keyes.

(Giving credit where it's due, "Robinson" was a truly great actor: Little Caesar, Key Largo, The Cincinnati Kid as poker master Lancey Howard, Soykent Green - that incredibly moving scene in the suicide clinic (he was really dying at the time, too), on & on.)

White Heat

Wings: 1st Oscar for Best Picture. Clara Bow was so drop-dead gorgeous & charismatic.

Dr. Strangelove: the greatest black comedy ever made.
I love 'Life with Father' and 'The Little Foxes' particularly, they are both excellent.

'The Little Foxes' captures evil vs. innocence perfectly, and the end scene of the daughter and her BF running off in the rain, while Davis is menacingly watching, is perfect.

There's that same vibe and feeling in 'Night of the Hunter': wondering if the innocent creatures can survive, as Gish says several times in the latter film, 'It's a hard world for little things'.

'Life with Father' is very sweet, and it's a good example of a film where they don't tell you what to think either. If you don't know why a scene is funny, then you don't, which is how they used to do it and it's how they should do it today---prob is the third world audience doesn't 'get it' so they have to spell it out for them, complete with a narrator and a laugh-track. It's so pathetic.

I really love documentaries: a particularly good one is 'Brother's Keeper' from 1992.

It's about a man who was falsely accused of murdering his brother--a perfect example of wrongful prosecution done deliberately--they were farmers and the eldest of the four brothers died.

Old January 4th, 2019 #16
Enbyeff

Quote:
I love 'Life with Father' and 'The Little Foxes' particularly, they are both excellent.
William Powell thinking he could deal with Gawd on a reasonable businessman-to-businessman basis when he died vs his horrified wife's insistence that he MUST be baptized was a delight. He was the "Victorian Patriarch", was sure he was running the show - while she was gently grinding him down until she got her way....)

"Oh, GAD!!"

Powell was also terrific with Myrna Loy in the Thin Man series.

Quote:
I really love documentaries: a particularly good one is 'Brother's Keeper' from 1992.
My favorite documentary is Harlan County, USA, about a coal miner's strike in Kentucky in the early '70s. It shows the tar paper shacks with no water that the company (Duke Power) gave the miners & their families to exist in, and the old miners on oxygen, dying in misery of black lung, versus the slimy suits & their "gun thug" enforcers led by a mine manager. The miner's wives steal the "show": far more resolute than the men. There's a scene of the funeral of one of the strikers who got his brains blown out: his poor old mother collapsing at his casket....anyone who can watch it without being moved is as dead as he is.

Last edited by Enbyeff; January 4th, 2019 at 04:56 AM.

Old January 4th, 2019 #17
Enbyeff

Tunes of Glory

Kind Hearts & Coronets

The Lavender Hill Mob

The Picture of Dorian Grey

Othello by Orson Welles

Alfie

The Italian Job (original): "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Indiscreet

An Affair to Remember

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison

Ship of Fools

La Grande Illusion

M

The Rules of the Game

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Rififi

The Wages of Fear

Bram Stoker's Dracula

There Will Be Blood

Gangs of New York

Old January 4th, 2019 #18
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
William Powell thinking he could deal with Gawd on a reasonable businessman-to-businessman basis when he died vs his horrified wife's insistence that he MUST be baptized was a delight. He was the "Victorian Patriarch", was sure he was running the show - while she was gently grinding him down until she got her way....)

"Oh, GAD!!"
Yes, very well illustrated throughout, and carried over to the son who grabs pen and paper to write to Elizabeth Taylor, the girl playing his love interest, after he said he would not. She is quite funny too, when she sits on his lap and he tells her to get up and she is hysterical, sure that she's been horrifically insulted. Illustrates the times they were living in, very formal-- only a trollop would sit on a boy's lap.

Quote:
My favorite documentary is Harlan County, USA, about a coal miner's strike in Kentucky in the early '70s. It shows the tar paper shacks with no water that the company (Duke Power) gave the miners & their families to exist in, and the old miners on oxygen, dying in misery of black lung, versus the slimy suits & their "gun thug" enforcers led by a mine manager. The miner's wives steal the "show": far more resolute than the men. There's a scene of the funeral of one of the strikers who got his brains blown out: his poor old mother collapsing at his casket....anyone who can watch it without being moved is as dead as he is.
I have it in my collection, it's excellent.

The story about the mule is great, and sad--the man recounting how, as a young man, the boss told him to move the mule so the slate won't fall on him, and he said, 'well what about it falling on ME?' and the boss said, 'we can always get another man, but we'd have to BUY that mule.'

For all the Appalachian jokes, those people were very politically aware--albeit with an innocence that was surprising. This was illustrated in the exchange between the Union man and the Cop in NYC. That was one of my favorite scenes.

I love how the girl doing the film argued with the Duke Power thug as to how she had a right to film the event, peppering his conversation with 'dear' and what-not while trying to intimidate her--he kept asking for her credentials and she asked for his and he 'didn't seem to have them on him' and drove away. Later as things heated up he pointed a gun at her, which was caught on film.

The boy they killed was only 18 or 19 years old, and had a new baby. That is how greedy they are--a small raise so people can raise kids in a home with running water.

Old January 4th, 2019 #19
Gladiatrix

Quote:

Powell was also terrific with Myrna Loy in the Thin Man series.

Don't get me started.

Old January 4th, 2019 #20
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Thread