Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 16th, 2016 #1
Susan

Default Diphenhydramine and random thoughts

I have been taking sleep aids that contain this ingredient for several years now. I only take one 25 mg. tablet a day when I feel I need it. I probably take it 5 days a week. The sleep aids are bought at either Kroger or Walmart. I checked with several pharmacists before taking this several years ago and they all said it was harmless. Of course, this is the same ingredient in Benadryl.

I was just reading several articles showing there may be a connection between this and memory loss and other cognitive functions, perhaps even Alzheimer's. My father developed early onset Alzheimer's, my grandmother had a dementia when she died, and my father's sister now has Alzheimer's. It's all on my father's side of the family.

Anyway, you all can read the articles and decide for yourselves what you think. As for me, I'm going to stop using it and see if my memory improves. I don't sleep well or long enough but I can work on these things by trying teas and other natural means. I have never slept well my entire life although as I get older I am finding I can fall asleep easier and sleep longer.

I eat healthy foods--40+ year vegetarian, no drugs at all, no alcohol, no smoking. All of this does contribute to why I look younger in the face than many my age. It does make a difference how you live your life from age 20 to 60. A hard life will show up in your face.

I love coffee but I think I'm also going to stop daily consumption of this and see if I feel better. I'll drink some hot tea occasionally. I need to stop using coffee creamers and I can't drink black coffee.

I never eat out and I'm very picky about the processed food I consume. But I do love to eat! My grandmother who was my favorite person in the whole world loved to eat too. When I visited she would make veggie dinners and we would enjoy our food on TV trays in front of the TV. This has been 30-50 years ago so TV was different. Lots of the things were different.

People who enjoy good food are generally more well adjusted than anal retentive picky eaters. Lol. It's painful to watch someone push food around on a plate, pretending to enjoy it. People also annoy me who don't like so many good foods, especially veggies.

We ate so much better back before the advent of frozen dinners and junk food and mothers who worked outside the home at least in full time "careers".

Old November 21st, 2016 #2
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

I read a similar study re Alzheimer's and Benadryl as well. I have somewhat serious food allergies, though I've never had a 'life threatening' allergic reaction.

The mental 'fog' caused by meds like antihistamines is something you can observe if taken during the day -but the reason it's helping to put you to sleep is in part due to the depression of your nervous system. Not good. Histamine also affects digestion, and all of these hormones and chemicals affect your entire body.

One thing to help you sleep-don't do as I'm doing right now and write/read at 12:42am, lol. The blue light emitted from your PC or phone confuses the brain into thinking it's daytime.

Try to sleep between 10 and 11pm ideally, and don't eat after 6pm if possible. This is almost universal to all humans in every study I've seen on sleep.

If it's a very serious sleep disorder, an endocrinologist might be a good idea-so long as you are not on the four and five hundred bucks a month Obamacare, luls.

And no doubt, stay away from frozen and fast food as if they were nuclear waste.

Old November 25th, 2016 #3
zoomcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post

I love coffee but I think I'm also going to stop daily consumption of this and see if I feel better. I'll drink some hot tea occasionally. I need to stop using coffee creamers and I can't drink black coffee.

Eliminating Coffee creamers is a good idea. I use a little non-fat or one percent milk.

Old November 25th, 2016 #4
zoomcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Henderson View Post

And no doubt, stay away from frozen and fast food as if they were nuclear waste.
And processed meats, too. Nitrates are definitely toxic.

Thread