SouthernNS
Literally Kitler

Default They Slandered The Appalachian Mountain People

Old October 15th, 2017 #2
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNS View Post
I have some of this ancestry, Kentucky people. I remember first realizing the stuff of tv re how 'ignant' they were supposed to be not stacking up to the reality when I saw a documentary about what happened in Harlan County, the coal miner strike. Those people who spoke on film--poor as they were--were more astute at understanding politics than a good many people elsewhere. Why they chose to stay there I don't know, but maybe just a combo of tradition and loving where they lived.

I do laugh at 'Appalachian Emergency Room' , as I'm sure there is an element of truth to it, there are funny things about any group of poor people and what kind of stuff happens to them as they try and live. But you could go through these poor White spaces and meet very smart people, and not get shot in a drive by or gang-raped. Notice the 'Deliverance' film which depicts a very, very small minority of White people and is super famous and used to make fun of a whole region of mostly people who aren't doing that kind of stuff....yet it is raycis to suggest that in most black neighborhoods your chances of being raped are huge comparatively, and their poor are uber dangerous and generally beyond stoopid. A skit called 'Nigger Emergency Room' would be stopped if done by Whites, yet 'White Trash' fodder would never cause censors to bat an eyelash. Disparaging remarks about Whites are fine, even when they are clearly wildly out of proportion to reality.

Old October 15th, 2017 #3
Pale Ghoul

Scots-Irish checking in

Old October 17th, 2017 #4
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
I have some of this ancestry, Kentucky people. I remember first realizing the stuff of tv re how 'ignant' they were supposed to be not stacking up to the reality when I saw a documentary about what happened in Harlan County, the coal miner strike. Those people who spoke on film--poor as they were--were more astute at understanding politics than a good many people elsewhere. Why they chose to stay there I don't know, but maybe just a combo of tradition and loving where they lived.
Harlan County USA: a great documentary. My father was from the Appalachians (Southwest VA); he left at 14 to find work & better himself, and did. I remember that exact type from my visits there to see relatives when I was a little kid at the same general time, so it makes me smile with recognition.

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old October 17th, 2017 #5
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Harlan County USA: a great documentary. My father was from the Appalachians (Southwest VA); he left at 14 to find work & better himself, and did. I remember that exact type from my visits there to see relatives when I was a little kid at the same general time, so it makes me smile with recognition.
That's the one. I always remember that line from the old man retired from the coal mines.

They told him to be careful of the mule, so the slate didn't fall on it's head. He said, "What about me?" And the boss said, "We can get another man, but we have to buy that mule." ..So a mule is worth more than a man.

Brilliant film, cool people.

Thread