Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 4th, 2012 #1
Dawn Cannon

Default Smart meters won't be compulsory #1 Smart Meters

Which probably means "not yet" knowing these liars like we do.

OFFICIAL: Smart meters won't be compulsory

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02..._meters_yesno/

So-called 'smart meters' will not be mandatory, the energy minister has confirmed. The pledge was made by Charles Hendry last Thursday, and confirmed to us by the Department of Energy and Climate Change today.

The energy minister in the previous Labour government, one Ed Miliband, introduced legislation to make smart meters mandatory for homes and small and medium-sized businesses by 2014 as part of the condition for licensing energy companies. The electronic devices must collect information every 30 minutes, and use wireless chips to phone home. The cost per household, including installation, was estimated at £340 per household, or £9bn countrywide, with customers footing the bill.

The advantages for suppliers are considerable: laying off thousands of employees, including meter readers and call centre staff, introducing per-minute variable pricing, and cutting off the energy supply remotely. It also promised a boom for the IT sector.

But Hendry told the House of Commons that:

We believe that people will benefit from having smart meters, but we will not make them obligatory. If people are concerned about the electromagnetic issues, they will not be required to have one. We have been willing to give assurances to Hon Members on that account.

A DECC spokesman told us:

This is not actually new. While smart metering brings significant benefits, it will not be an offence for householders to refuse to accept a smart meter and we have made it clear that we do not expect suppliers to seek an entry warrant simply to fit smart metering equipment.

Old March 5th, 2012 #3
andy

".....laying off thousands of employees, including meter readers and call centre staff....."

I can categorically state from my own experience with NPower That not a single Christian Aryan from the UK will be effected by such a development.That shit company is a haven for invaders and their renegade allies

Chase them into the swamps

Old March 9th, 2012 #4
Gerry Fable
'God Belief, German Piety'

If they install a smart meter outside Andy's abode will it make his posts more comprehensible?
"Man is not God. But he is God's birthplace. God exists and grows in man. If God does not come in man, He never comes~ Hence the German religion is the religion of high faith in man."-Alfred Rosenberg

Old March 9th, 2012 #5
Michael Armstrong
Banned

Here's it's $75 to opt out, and $10 a month to send some one out to read the meter....should improve their profits overall.

Old March 12th, 2012 #6
Dawn Cannon

U.S. military unveils non-lethal heat ray weapon

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpre...at-ray-weapon/

Quote:

March 12, 2012 – WASHINGTON – “You’re not gonna see it, you’re not gonna hear it, you’re not gonna smell it: you’re gonna feel it,” explained U.S. Marine Colonel Tracy Taffola, director the Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate, Marine Corps Base Quantico, at a demonstration for members of the media. The effect is so repellant, the immediate instinct is to flee — and quickly, as experienced by AFP at the presentation. Taffola is quick also to point out the “Active Denial System” beam, while powerful and long-range, some 1000 meters (0.6 miles), is the military’s ‘safest non-lethal capability” that has been developed over 15 years but never used in the field. It was deployed briefly in Afghanistan in 2010, but never employed in an operation.

The technology has attracted safety concerns possibly because the beam is often confused with the microwaves commonly used by consumers to rapidly heat food. “There are a lot of misperceptions out there,” lamented Taffola, saying the Pentagon was keen to make clear what the weapon is, and what it is not. The frequency of the blast makes all the difference for actual injury as opposed to extreme discomfort, stressed Stephanie Miller, who measured the system’s radio frequency bioeffects at the Air Force Research Laboratory. The system ray is 95 gigahertz, a frequency “absorbed very superficially,” said Miller. The beam only goes 1/64th of an inch (0.4 millimeter), which “gives a lot more safety. We have done over 11,000 exposures on people. In that time we’ve only had two injuries that required medical attention and in both cases injuries were fully recovered without complications,” she said. In contrast, microwave frequency is around one gigahertz, which moves faster and penetrates deeper — which is how it can cook meat in an oven, said top researcher Diana Loree.

Old June 15th, 2012 #7
Bev
drinking tea

Default Government plans to install smart meters in our homes 'will leave us open to cyber attack'

Quote:
Intelligence chiefs have warned that plans to install smart energy meters in every house will leave families vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

According to the Government’s listening agency GCHQ, the plans will create a ‘strategic vulnerability’, giving foreign computer hackers the opportunity to target individual homes, municipal buildings and even whole districts.

Described by security experts as the ‘modern day equivalent of a nuclear strike’, hackers would be able to switch off meters from overseas, cutting off targets from the national grid.

Intrusion? Smart meters could be installed in every property - and could lead to a cyber attack

Privacy campaigners are already seeking to block the plans on the grounds that the meters will create a ‘spy in every home’.

The meters will collect details about how people use electricity and gas, allowing snoopers to, for example, scrutinise what time someone goes to bed, washes or uses their computer.

The information will be beamed to a central database held by a utility firm, making it a tempting target for hackers. A further concern is that the meters could allow individual households to be cut off by Whitehall or energy companies at times of future fuel shortages.

The Foundation for Information Policy Research think-tank, has warned the Government that it should remove the ability to switch off power remotely ‘to prevent attacks that cut off customers, whether these are committed for blackmail, or as a hostile act against Britain’s critical national infrastructure by a foreign power or a terrorist group’.

Ross Anderson, a Cambridge computer science professor and chairman of the think-tank, said: ‘GCHQ have also told us they are worried about it.

‘Once you have the ability to turn off meters remotely, then it becomes a strategic vulnerability.

‘If the Iranians or Chinese want to attack Britain, they could do so easily through smart meters. This is the modern day equivalent of a nuclear strike.’

It is understood similar warnings have been passed to ministers by security chiefs. Smart meters have already been installed in around 400,000 homes by British Gas. All utility firms will be installing meters between 2014 and 2019.

Information from the 46million gas and electricity meters will be collected every 30 minutes and beamed from a box in the home to the central databases.

The plans, introduced by Ed Miliband when he was Energy Secretary and championed by Lib Dem Chris Huhne when he held the job, have been justified on the grounds that the meters will help customers cut their bills and governments meet environmental targets.

But Professor Anderson also warned that governments could use the information to turn off power if the UK suffers from energy shortages in the future.

Critics are also warning that corrupt officials, call centre staff or hackers could sell information to burglars or identity thieves.

They are also concerned that energy companies will be able to use the data to manipulate tariffs.

A Whitehall source said: ‘This is a bonkers policy that has to be stopped before it gets out of hand. It is being sold as a consumer-friendly device to help you save power but in the wrong hands, it will be a total disaster.

‘We will see power blackouts timed with the help of the information collected from smart meters.’
This could mean risks of identity theft, real time surveillance and unwanted publicity

Nick Pickles. of civil liberties group Big Brother Watch, has written to ministers to warn them of the risks associated with smart meters. He said:

‘We are witnessing a massive intrusion into what goes on in millions of homes.

‘This comes when there is increasing surveillance of our society. Smart meters are a step towards our homes becoming the next line of attack for state snoopers.’

Anna Fielder, of watchdog Privacy International, said: ‘This could mean risks of identity theft, real time surveillance, unwanted publicity, profiling or targeting for commercial purposes and also potential discriminatory practices by power companies targeting tariffs to maximise profits.

‘As these are essentially communication devices, transmitting data over a network, there are the associated security risks if the right measures are not taken.’

A spokesman for the Department for Energy said: ‘The rollout of meters will help put people in control of their energy use and eliminate the cause of a huge number of complaints – inaccurate bills.’

He added: ‘We also want to make absolutely sure that we’ve got key aspects such as privacy, security, and consumer protection right and that’s what we are currently consulting on and working through with industry and consumer groups.’
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2156648/Government-plans-install-smart-meters-homes-leave-open-cyber-attack.html safe

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er-attack.html normal

Old June 15th, 2012 #8
Bruce Rideout
Flight Instructor

Not taught in School; Smart Meters and Shotguns, MADE FOR EACH OTHER

Old June 27th, 2012 #9
Bruce Rideout
Flight Instructor

As of yesterday, Our 80 year old rental with Rats in walls now has a stupid smart meter. Awww cute! it even has a logo resembling a Baby Seal begging to be clubbed.
Headache, no Morning Wood, Birds staying back 50 feet, the Raccoon in the tree swatting its own head. Abandon hope all ye unfortunate enough to be born here.

Old June 27th, 2012 #10
Dawn Cannon

Old June 27th, 2012 #11
Steven L. Akins
Banned

How does a smart-meter help consumers cut their power bills?

Aren't they simply a way for the utility companies to monitor energy usage without sending a meter reader man around once a month; with the added advantage (to the utility companies) that they can turn off your power with the simple push of a button from their office, without having to go out and physically disconnect your home from the power-grid?

Old June 27th, 2012 #12
Hugh
Holorep survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rideout View Post
As of yesterday, Our 80 year old rental with Rats in walls now has a stupid smart meter. Awww cute! it even has a logo resembling a Baby Seal begging to be clubbed.
Headache, no Morning Wood, Birds staying back 50 feet, the Raccoon in the tree swatting its own head. Abandon hope all ye unfortunate enough to be born here.
Microwaves are now formally part of the NATO weapons programme, and with these in peoples homes, dissidents can now be monitored 24/7 and radiated at will.

Laptops and wireless keyboards, modems etc are even worse, reducing spermcounts by a quarter and more, and what sperm remains is unhealthy and dysfunctional, after only a couple hours. This must logically also affect women. 24 hours per day exposure to massive doses is probably why cancer rates are skyrocketing, and why White birthrates are plummetting.

They have in some cases begun installing bar code readers on these meters, so they can read the barcodes on all the products you buy, and via temp readings, they can tell how many people are in each house, and where they are. These are a godsend to criminals, who can now know when you are home, what you are doing.

http://www.fertstert.org/article/S00...678-1/abstract

http://news.menshealth.com/protect-m...rm/2011/12/06/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-suggests.html

http://news.menshealth.com/breaking-...rm/2011/08/16/

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/be...ng/printer.php

Cellmasts destroy vegetation, bees are dying and so destroying agriculture, bird eggs don't hatch much anymore, leading to a massive increase in insect infestation and disease as bird populations plummet. Our food is genetically modified to be sterile and even insects won't eat GM fruits and vegetables. Powerlines are causing leukemia and organ and digestive disorders on a massive scale. The war against humanity is hotting up.

Maybe these methods of shielding can help, though beware of fire. Foil protects against microwaves. Maybe if you can, also put something up on the wall inside, and put a picture or something over it, so it isn't noticeable.You should have something like foil between you and whatever wireless equipment you use, I've gone back to wired mouse and keyboard, don't carry a cellphone on my person anymore, and my PC is about 2 metres from me now.

http://electricsense.com/2431/smart-...hielding-tips/

Last edited by Hugh; June 27th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.

Old June 27th, 2012 #13
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
How does a smart-meter help consumers cut their power bills?

Aren't they simply a way for the utility companies to monitor energy usage without sending a meter reader man around once a month; with the added advantage (to the utility companies) that they can turn off your power with the simple push of a button from their office, without having to go out and physically disconnect your home from the power-grid?
Well, I presume they enable you to recognise what time of day you use the most power and see if there's anything you can change - at least, that's what they'll claim. I already have one - it is my own and it doesn't beam my life history to anyone; it simply tells me how much electricity is being used at any given moment so I can identify when it's cheaper to use the tumble dryer or whatever.

Old June 27th, 2012 #14
Bruce Rideout
Flight Instructor

A former Premier of our Beautiful B.C. has come forward on the side of the little guy..
http://thepowerfilm.org/

Old June 27th, 2012 #15
Squarehead Chris

"They" installed a smart meter at my house about eight months ago.

So far, I'm not hearing any radio broadcasts in my head, nor am I foaming at the mouth.
But my dog has peed on the carpet a couple of times.

Do you think there's any correlation here?

Old June 27th, 2012 #16
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Well, I presume they enable you to recognise what time of day you use the most power and see if there's anything you can change - at least, that's what they'll claim. I already have one - it is my own and it doesn't beam my life history to anyone; it simply tells me how much electricity is being used at any given moment so I can identify when it's cheaper to use the tumble dryer or whatever.
The new digital meter that the power company recently placed on the outside of my house must not be a smart meter then, as it doesn't tell me anything. My understanding is that they are a convenience for the power company that allows them to read meters remotely, without having to send a meter man into your back yard to read them in person.

Seems like a job-eliminator and a money-saver for the power company - no more meter-readers to pay. A bit ike the self-checkout lanes they installed (and later removed) at Wal-Mart. The company thought that they could get by cheaper by not paying as many cashiers to run the checkout lines. Apparently too many people were slipping items into their bags unscanned and the self-checkouts were eventually removed.

Old June 27th, 2012 #17
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
The new digital meter that the power company recently placed on the outside of my house must not be a smart meter then, as it doesn't tell me anything. My understanding is that they are a convenience for the power company that allows them to read meters remotely, without having to send a meter man into your back yard to read them in person.

Seems like a job-eliminator and a money-saver for the power company - no more meter-readers to pay. A bit ike the self-checkout lanes they installed (and later removed) at Wal-Mart. The company thought that they could get by cheaper by not paying as many cashiers to run the checkout lines. Apparently too many people were slipping items into their bags unscanned and the self-checkouts were eventually removed.
I don't think the smart meters tell you anything at source - you may have to request the info or wait for your supplier to send a bill or whatever. I think the main reason is to eliminate meter readers but they're selling it to the public as "helping" us with cheaper bills.

Mine is similar to these: http://theowl.com/ you attach one bit to your meter and plonk the other bit where you can see it. Then when you switch something on - you can see the consumption in actual money terms over a period of your selection. For instance, if I run my instant hot water kettle for an hour, it would cost me £26 something per day.

We have those self-checkouts here but everything has a barcode bleeper so alarms sound as you leave the shop. I don't mind them (though I do question why I'm paying the same price as someone who is using a cashier and a packer) and they're bloody annoying if you have a money off coupon or something and it shrieks for assistance because it doesn't recognise it, or when you have a blu-ray or alcohol or other age related item (like Christmas crackers!) and it again sets off the bell for assistance.

Old June 27th, 2012 #18
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
I don't think the smart meters tell you anything at source - you may have to request the info or wait for your supplier to send a bill or whatever. I think the main reason is to eliminate meter readers but they're selling it to the public as "helping" us with cheaper bills.

Mine is similar to these: http://theowl.com/ you attach one bit to your meter and plonk the other bit where you can see it. Then when you switch something on - you can see the consumption in actual money terms over a period of your selection. For instance, if I run my instant hot water kettle for an hour, it would cost me £26 something per day.

We have those self-checkouts here but everything has a barcode bleeper so alarms sound as you leave the shop. I don't mind them (though I do question why I'm paying the same price as someone who is using a cashier and a packer) and they're bloody annoying if you have a money off coupon or something and it shrieks for assistance because it doesn't recognise it, or when you have a blu-ray or alcohol or other age related item (like Christmas crackers!) and it again sets off the bell for assistance.
I actually found the self-checkouts a convenience when I was only running into the store to purchase a few things, as I could get in and out faster than having to deal with one of their semi-retarded cashiers.

I hate the fact that the American government has this incentive program that pays half of the employees wages if their employer hires someone who is either mentally or physically disabled (its cheaper for the government, since they don't have to pay them a disability check, and cheaper for the stores because they only have to pay half their wages). Because of this scheme, stores are now staffed by a growing population of cripples and idiots who are taking up jobs at half the cost of able-bodied and able-minded workers.

Old June 27th, 2012 #19
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
Because of this scheme, stores are now staffed by a growing population of cripples and idiots who are taking up jobs at half the cost of able-bodied and able-minded workers.
What did you say you do to earn a living, Steven?

Old April 28th, 2013 #20
Bev
drinking tea

Default Big brother to switch off your fridge: Power giants to make millions - but you must pay for 'sinister' technology

Quote:
Fridges and freezers in millions of British homes will automatically be switched off without the owner’s consent under a ‘Big Brother’ regime to reduce the strain on power stations.

The National Grid is demanding that all new appliances be fitted with sensors that could shut them down when the UK’s generators struggle to meet demand for electricity.

Electric ovens, air-conditioning units and washing machines will also be affected by the proposals, which are already backed by one of the European Union’s most influential energy bodies. They are pushing for the move as green energy sources such as wind farms are less predictable than traditional power stations, increasing the risk of blackouts.

Last night critics:

Condemned the principle that outside forces should be allowed to control appliances.
Warned the new sensors would add £40 to the average price of white goods for consumers.
Hit out at the energy giants who would make millions of pounds extra profit under the scheme, as it would save them from firing up reserve generators or paying factories to switch off furnaces to quell demand. There is no suggestion that consumers will be compensated for having their appliances shut down.

The sensors will automatically detect spikes in demand for power that the grid is struggling to meet, and temporarily shut off the appliances.

Viktor Sundberg, energy strategy manager at Electrolux, warned: ‘This is Big Brother technology on a grand scale. The device inside the fridge or freezer will automatically change the way the appliance operates in response to the output of the grid.

‘This method of shutting down household appliances could to be carried out almost instantly, saving the energy companies millions because they won’t have to start up the turbines or pay huge industrial companies to cut production. Consumers are not benefiting at all and will be left paying more when they buy the appliances, as well as having their private goods controlled by outside forces.’

David Davis, the former Tory leadership candidate, said: ‘There is a Big Brother element to this – and it also shows the energy suppliers passing down their incompetence to the customers. They should be supplying energy as customers need it, not the when they want to give it.

‘There is something Soviet about this. It’s a ridiculous idea and it should be opposed. I hope the Government puts its foot down.’

Nick Pickles, director of civil liberties group Big Brother Watch, said: ‘This sinister plan smacks of over- the-top intrusion into people’s houses. It should be the choice of consumers if they want to sign up to it, not slipped into our homes through fridges and freezers.’

The National Grid – a private company that made £2.6 billion profit in 2011 – is required by law to balance supply and demand in the network.

However the EU has set a target that 20 per cent of all electricity will be generated from green sources by 2012 – but these are unreliable, making the task more difficult.

The solution proposed by the National Grid, along with its counterparts in 34 European countries, is to install the controversial devices.

The National Grid supplies alternating current to homes at 240V and an frequency of 50 hertz (Hz). But because electricity cannot be stored in bulk, there are fluctuations in this.

When demand starts to outstrip supply, the frequency drops – when there is more power than needed, it rises.

Sensors in domestic appliances would check this frequency every 0.2 seconds, and if it fell to 47Hz – a level that would risk blackouts – the devices would kick in and shut fridges, freezers and ovens down. Across millions of homes, this would cut demand significantly and so restore the balance.

Presently, the National Grid can shut down power to industrial firms to balance the grid. They are compensated in such cases, but there is no proposal to pay consumers if they face similar interruptions.

The sensors could also be used if supply of electricity outstripped demand, putting power stations in danger of ‘tripping’ and shutting down temporarily. If the frequency of the supply nudged towards 52Hz, the devices could make fridges become cooler, increasing demand and balancing out the system.

The move comes on top of separate initiatives to put ‘smart meters’ for gas and electricity in all British homes by 2019, giving energy firms real-time information on individual households’ usage.

The proposals were contained in a 63-page document drawn up by the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity (ENTSO-E). It has been agreed by the EU-wide body of energy regulators and was sent to the European Commission on March 27.

It is set to deliver its verdict on the proposals within three months, and they could then go to the European Parliament to be turned into legislation that would force manufacturers to install the monitors.

Appliances containing the sensors could be in shops within three years.

In its proposal, ENTSO-E stressed that shutting off appliances would only be a last resort, but admitted it could happen.

It argued: ‘The accumulated effect of switching off a large number of temperature-controlled devices will give a substantial reduction of load in the system.

‘In this way it should be able to prevent .  .  . large scale blackouts.’

The authorities insist appliances would only cut out for a few seconds, and that consumers will be able to set acceptable temperature ranges so fridges would not be switched off if they were already warm, and therefore food would remain fresh. But if ovens are switched off temporarily, it could affect the cooking time of meals.

Presently, the National Grid can shut down power to industrial firms to balance the grid. They are compensated in such cases, but there is no proposal to pay consumers if they face similar interruptions.

Experts believe household bills would not be affected because the scheme would just alter the time at which appliances are used, not their total energy consumption.

Adam Scorer, of Consumer Focus UK, said: ‘There is a lot more work that needs to be done before these proposals become acceptable for consumers. The costs and benefits need to be clear, the right consumer protections in place, people’s privacy assured and arrangements made so that consumers get paid for any services they provide to networks.’

Consumer groups throughout Europe have expressed ‘serious concern’ in a letter to ENTSO-E.

A spokesman for the Department of Energy and Climate Change admitted last night that the Government was unsure how the new technology would work.

He said: ‘There could be benefits to consumers, it could open up new ways to save on energy bills, but we also need to consider all other factors before responding to the Commission.’

A spokesman for National Grid said: ‘One of the proposed requirements is for a limited number of [future] temperature controlled devices such as fridges and freezers to have the capability to assist the real time balancing of electricity supply and demand by automatically switching off devices for short durations.

‘This should result in benefits to consumers as it will lead to a reduced requirement for additional back-up electricity sources.

‘It will have no material impact on the operation of fridges and freezers switching will be for a few seconds and only occasionally.

‘Consumers’ produce will remain cool in their fridges and frozen in their freezers.’
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...echnology.html

First of all, that's guaranteed to kill the white goods market because I can't see anyone buying one of these, can you?

Second, the ecotards that do buy them are leaving themselves wide open to attack from pranksters.

Tags
smart meters

Thread