VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 26th, 2005 #1
Agis
biocultural Realpolitik

Default 'Homesteading' and Radical Survival Gardening

" Okay, now we have your family ready with a vegetable garden, small fruits, grains, orchard, meat/eggs, and dairy production. Pretty nifty, right? You bet. For now you can also make soap from used cooking fats, which you can save in a can after each use. Soap making is easy and glitch free, requiring only strained, clean used fat and lye (which can be produced by seeping water down through wood ashes). This soap is great and can be used to wash clothes, babies, and hair.

Add a hive or two of bees, and your sugar requirements are easily met. Then too, the bees will pollinate your entire garden, grain patch and orchard, ensuring bountiful harvests. Bees are easily established and easy to work with. I’ve only been stung twice working with domestic bees, and probably a few dozen times by “wild” bees.

Survival homesteading is addicting. Once you get started, your mind works constantly at ways you can do more to be less reliant on the system. Now I say “can do” as few homesteaders actually practice every bit of their knowledge. I can raise and shear sheep, spinning wool into yarn to make clothes. And I can tan hides from which to fashion clothes and footwear. But I choose to use my time in other ways, which are more productive to the family at present. But the knowledge is there, should our needs change. "

---
More here:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/clay62.html

Old July 26th, 2005 #2
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Somebody check in on Rob and see how the Kievsky survival homestead is coming.

Old July 26th, 2005 #3
Sean Martin

I understand he is working from about 6 am till about 10 pm. I would say he will be to busy to post very much untill after the harvest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
Somebody check in on Rob and see how the Kievsky survival homestead is coming.

Old April 27th, 2022 #4
Cale Sparks
anti-American

Old April 28th, 2022 #5
Cale Sparks
anti-American

Thread