VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 1st, 2020 #21
Gladiatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donncha Dennis View Post
He said because they devoted their lives and abstained from laying down with a woman their entire lives. I don't see how preserving the epic manuscripts of old had to be accomplished by not feeling the embrace of a woman. All of eastern orthodox Christians allowed priests to have a wife. The catholic church its first period of history allowed priests to have wives. The pope and all the clergy in rome had brothels built into the Vatican to relieve their stress. But hey they were "super holy guys" that never got their hands caught in the cookie jar if that helps people go to sleep at night. I have no doubt some pure souled people devoted their lives to their cause and lord. Personally I don't see how abstaining from laying down with the ladies would keep someone from writing down the ancient scripts. If anything it could give them a better insight into what was written.
Actually, the Roman Catholic Church didn't require priests to be celibate until the Second Lateran Council held in 1139.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/696

Old March 1st, 2020 #22
Gladiatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFire View Post

Yeah , one of the most famous songs about Egypt ever ,for sure
This one is much better. I can't stand the Bangles.

Old March 1st, 2020 #23
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
They couldn't record and write down manuscripts if they had a woman beside them? hmm.... Didn't seem to stop the eastern orthodox byzantines from writing things down.
I didn't say they couldn't, only that they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartt View Post
Julius Caesar didn't burn down the Library, i don't know why you people believe that.
I got that from Wikipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
The Library was destroyed by invading muzzies in 642 CE on the orders of Caliph Omar ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Librar...andria#Decline

Which is exactly what we have seen muzzie culture destroyers in the ME and Western Asia proclaim today as they continue to attempt eradication of the ancient history of the region.

Seriously, how could any of you believe that it would have been anyone else that burned the Library of Alexandria?
I'm no fan of Muslims, but they have also preserved a lot of ancient manuscripts.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old March 1st, 2020 #24
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
He said because they devoted their lives and abstained from laying down with a woman their entire lives. I don't see how preserving the epic manuscripts of old had to be accomplished by not feeling the embrace of a woman. All of eastern orthodox Christians allowed priests to have a wife. The catholic church its first period of history allowed priests to have wives. The pope and all the clergy in rome had brothels built into the Vatican to relieve their stress. But hey they were "super holy guys" that never got their hands caught in the cookie jar if that helps people go to sleep at night. I have no doubt some pure souled people devoted their lives to their cause and lord. Personally I don't see how abstaining from laying down with the ladies would keep someone from writing down the ancient scripts. If anything it could give them a better insight into what was written.
I was simply expressing my appreciation for the sacrifices that they made to allow us to read these exquisite books. Of course, they didn't have to be celebrate to copy the manuscripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiatrix View Post
Actually, the Roman Catholic Church didn't require priests to be celibate until the Second Lateran Council held in 1139.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/696
Yes, but the manuscripts were copied by monks, not priests.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old March 1st, 2020 #25
Gladiatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
I was simply expressing my appreciation for the sacrifices that they made to allow us to read these exquisite books. Of course, they didn't have to be celebrate to copy the manuscripts.

Yes, but the manuscripts were copied by monks, not priests.
Yes, well aware of that. I was replying to the other guy's comment about Orthodox priests. They also have monks.

Old March 1st, 2020 #26
T.Garrett
Banned

Thumbs down mindless posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiatrix View Post
Yes, well aware of that. I was replying to the other guy's comment about Orthodox priests. They also have monks.
You've posted three times in this thread and haven't yet given an opinion on how the Library was destroyed ...

Thread