VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 2nd, 2020 #1
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default SpaceX Crew Dragon Returning Home

All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old August 2nd, 2020 #2
Ray Allan

Thanks for posting that, Nikola. I just finished watching the NASA TV coverage on C-SPAN. The commentary was completely painful to listen to on both C-SPAN and the Discovery Channel. So dumbed down since the Apollo days or even the Shuttle flights. Really wish there was some way you could only tune in to the air-to-ground loop between Mission Control and the spacecraft minus the inane commentary. Speaking of Apollo, Demo-2 is the first water landing, a.k.a., splashdown of a manned u.s. spacecraft in 45 years, during the Apollo-Soyuz mission in 1975.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old August 2nd, 2020 #3
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
Thanks for posting that, Nikola. I just finished watching the NASA TV coverage on C-SPAN. The commentary was completely painful to listen to on both C-SPAN and the Discovery Channel. So dumbed down since the Apollo days or even the Shuttle flights. Really wish there was some way you could only tune in to the air-to-ground loop between Mission Control and the spacecraft minus the inane commentary. Speaking of Apollo, Demo-2 is the first water landing, a.k.a., splashdown of a manned u.s. spacecraft in 45 years, during the Apollo-Soyuz mission in 1975.
Yes, and during that splashdown the crew was inadvertently exposed to hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide fumes, causing them to become sick. I wonder whether that was the reason that they took so much time venting out all the hypergolic fumes on this mission before extracting the crew.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old August 2nd, 2020 #4
T.Garrett
Banned

Post splashdown

check out all the folks on private watercraft watching the recovery

Last edited by T.Garrett; August 2nd, 2020 at 11:42 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2020 #5
T.Garrett
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
Those aren't private watercraft; those are the recovery speedboats. I'm sure there was an exclusion zone around the splashdown area to make sure that the capsule didn't come down on any private vessel.

Old August 3rd, 2020 #6
T.Garrett
Banned

Talking Bridenstine says he will do better next time

Quote:
SpaceX capsule swarmed by boaters after successful splashdown

After SpaceX’s Crew Dragon capsule splashed down in the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday and before NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley were out of the capsule, dozens of boats circled the area, creating chaos as recovery crews tried to get to the spacecraft. One had a banner with a “Trump” logo on it.

The spacecraft completed a two-month mission to the International Space Station, and splashed down in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Pensacola, Florida at 2:48PM ET, where recovery boats were waiting nearby to receive the crew.

It was a potentially dangerous situation because of the possibility of toxic propellant fumes from the spacecraft’s thrusters. Not to mention the boats could have gotten in the way of an emergency recovery operation.

During a press briefing after the splashdown, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine told The Verge’s Loren Grush that they were not anticipating all the boats to be there. “I will tell you it’s a beautiful sunny day, and a lot of boaters were out there and they were certainly intrigued,” he said. “I think all of America was was very anxious to to see the capsule land in the water. But yeah it’s something that we need to do better next time.”

Steve Stich, manager of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, said that the Coast Guard helped clear the area before the event, and the boats didn’t interfere with the actual splashdown itself, adding “we have some work to do with SpaceX, we will work together to do a better job for the next splashdown.”
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/2/21...lashdown-boats

Last edited by T.Garrett; August 3rd, 2020 at 01:48 AM.

Old August 3rd, 2020 #7
Ray Allan

Elon Musk will have to hire private security or have the coast guard out there next time.

Old August 4th, 2020 #8
T.Garrett
Banned

Thumbs up cool stuff

Quote:
Elon Musk will have to hire private security or have the coast guard out there next time.
The coasties and Nasa were there, but some how some way a bunch of civilians (almost all White men on their boats) were allowed to approach close enough to witness the unique historical moment of the splashdown and recovery of the Crew Dragon ...wish I was there with them on my boat Ray!

PS I believe the radio frequencies that Nasa uses for voice communication with it's LEO manned spacecraft and for recovery operations are around 400 Mhz.

Last edited by T.Garrett; August 4th, 2020 at 12:47 AM.

Old August 4th, 2020 #9
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
The coasties and Nasa were there, but some how some way a bunch of civilians (almost all White men on their boats) were allowed to approach close enough to witness the unique historical moment of the splashdown and recovery of the Crew Dragon ...wish I was there with them on my boat Ray!

PS I believe the radio frequencies that Nasa uses for voice communication with it's LEO manned spacecraft and for recovery operations are around 400 Mhz.
Yes, the Dragon splashdown would have been very cool to see. However, Nikola and I live near the West Coast, and we have seen the Falcon 9 lift off from Vandenburg and the 1st stage separation and boost-back burn during night launches that lit up a large portion of the western sky, which was pretty awesome.

Old August 4th, 2020 #10
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Yes, the Dragon splashdown would have been very cool to see. However, Nikola and I live near the West Coast, and we have seen the Falcon 9 lift off from Vandenburg and the 1st stage separation and boost-back burn during night launches that lit up a large portion of the western sky, which was pretty awesome.
Awesome indeed!

Old August 4th, 2020 #11
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

SpaceX may fire one of its Starship prototypes today. They aborted the test yesterday and again this morning, but it looks like they may try again soon today. If it goes it will only go 150 meters {about 500 feet} but his Starship will, if Musk has his way, will be the true spaceship of the future.

Go here:

Mike

Old August 4th, 2020 #12
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

The starship launched and landed successfully. The video makes it look like it is leaning, but it is not. It landed perfetctly.

Look here:

Mike

Old August 4th, 2020 #13
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
SpaceX may fire one of its Starship prototypes today. They aborted the test yesterday and again this morning, but it looks like they may try again soon today. If it goes it will only go 150 meters {about 500 feet} but his Starship will, if Musk has his way, will be the true spaceship of the future.

Go here: 4K LIVE! 24/7 SpaceX Boca Chica Launch Pad

Mike
That was awesome, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
The starship launched and landed successfully. The video makes it look like it is leaning, but it is not. It landed perfetctly.

Look here: Sapphire Cam Live! 24/7 SpaceX Boca Chica Starship Construction and Launch Facility

Mike
You get a better view from that angle.

Old August 8th, 2020 #14
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Here's a video containing more views of the Starship launch, as well as more info about the Crew Dragon landing.

After the splashdown of Apollo 8, someone sent NASA a telegram stating, "Thank you, Apollo 8. You saved 1968." Here I would like to say, "Thank you, Elon Musk, you saved 2020."

Old August 8th, 2020 #15
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
Here's a video containing more views of the Starship launch, as well as more info about the Crew Dragon landing.

SpaceX's Starship Program Gathers Momentum | SpaceX in the News

After the splashdown of Apollo 8, someone sent NASA a telegram stating, "Thank you, Apollo 8. You saved 1968." Here I would like to say, "Thank you, Elon Musk, you saved 2020."
SpaceX's Starship looks like one of Wernher von Braun's 1950s rocket designs. I don't know if that was intentional on Elon Musk's part, or just a case of form following function.

Old August 8th, 2020 #16
T.Garrett
Banned

Post maybe

Quote:
SpaceX's Starship looks like one of Wernher von Braun's 1950s rocket designs. I don't know if that was intentional on Elon Musk's part, or just a case of form following function.
Or someone (Elon?) has a Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon thing ...

I have a large collection of early to mid 20th century stuff like that

Old August 9th, 2020 #17
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
Or someone (Elon?) has a Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon thing ...

I have a large collection of early to mid 20th century stuff like that
The Flash Gordon rocketship photo didn't come up for me, but here's another one.

Old August 10th, 2020 #18
Ray Allan

Default SpaceX Crew-1 mission prepares for flight

The four astronauts of Crew-1, SpaceX's first operational manned mission to the International Space Station, get ready for their trip to space.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...al-crew-launch

Thread