Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 3rd, 2019 #1
Ray Allan

Default SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft launches successfully on unmanned test flight to ISS

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2019...en-flight-iss/

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old March 3rd, 2019 #2
Ray Allan

Default Dragon 2 docking and hatch opening

Old March 3rd, 2019 #3
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

I enjoyed the video, and it does give me some hope that in my advanced age I may actually see interesting manned (now crewed) space flight.

Here is the good and bad of this Dragon 2 spacecraft:

Good: It is obviously more advance than the Block 1 or Block 2 Apollo module. It is more spacious, much more attractive, and doubtlessly technically more advanced.

Bad: It is still just that, a somewhat better, Apollo module. The Apollo first went into orbit with a crew in 1967. I just checked; it is now 2019.

Damn! Do I have to live to 115 to see anything really snappy.

Mike

Old March 3rd, 2019 #4
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
I enjoyed the video, and it does give me some hope that in my advanced age I may actually see interesting manned (now crewed) space flight.

Here is the good and bad of this Dragon 2 spacecraft:

Good: It is obviously more advance than the Block 1 or Block 2 Apollo module. It is more spacious, much more attractive, and doubtlessly technically more advanced.

Bad: It is still just that, a somewhat better, Apollo module. The Apollo first went into orbit with a crew in 1967. I just checked; it is now 2019.

Damn! Do I have to live to 115 to see anything really snappy.

Mike
I prefer the term "manned" space flight over "crewed" space flight. When spoken it sounds too much like "crude." "Manned" flight includes women too, so screw the Newspeak.

True, Dragon 2 basically is "Apollo on steroids." So is NASA's Orion, which has yet to fly with astronauts aboard. Same with Boeing's CST-100 Starliner. But capsules, especially reusable ones like Dragon and Starliner, are cheaper to operate as a simple space taxi than a big airliner-sized Space Shuttle-type vehicle, which turned out to be horribly expensive, the opposite of what it was touted by NASA to be when it was designed back in the 1970s. However, I would like to see something more advanced come along too, while I am still alive, such as a true Single-Stage-To-Orbit (SSTO) craft. Dream Chaser, the winged mini-Shuttle is cool-looking and that should be flying as an unmanned cargo craft at least in the next few years. Again, Dream Chaser is just a 21st-century version of NASA's experimental lifting-body vehicles from the 1960s and 70s like the M2F2, HL-10 and X-24, and still requires a big multi-stage rocket booster to get into space.

Old March 3rd, 2019 #5
Garrick Fenstad
Banned

Mars one day....

Old March 9th, 2019 #6
Ray Allan

Default Dragon DM-1 splashdown 3/8/2019

Thread