Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 25th, 2007 #21
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

I love a good lasagna. My brothers lady thought she could make a good one, till she had mine.

Hmm, Im off on Tuesday, that sounds like a good meal. I will post pics

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old November 25th, 2007 #22
Subrosa
Banned

OMG, Iron Holly cooks? Probably in between her valkyrie trips to Valhalla

Old November 25th, 2007 #23
Holly
Self Bannned

Yes Subrosa my elf slaves took the holidays off I am now forced to cook myself.
I have found out long ago if I want a food dish to come out exact as I like it then it is best I do the cooking of it.

1 note about my lasagna - Many people including me do not like ricota cheese is it? It is kind of a cream cheese and a main igredent for lasagna so I have developed a better way.
I take muenster cheese and grate it of course, then it is put in a big bowl and 2 eggs and a little milk put in, it is then mixed with a power blender until it is nice and creamy, so it is like the same uhh,, texture of ricota but tastes much better.

My recipe:
2 pounds ground beef
2 pounds each of muenster and mozarella
2/3 jars spagetti sauce [I like Prego traditional] Ragu is Ok.
2 litte cans tomato paste
1-2 boxes lasagna noodles
This makes a large pan, of course amounts can be cut in half if you do not require so much, keep in mind it makes great leftovers.

So then you cook the beef, drain the fat of course, and stir in the spagetti sauce & paste, just like making spagetti.
As most know you must low cook the sauce, it burns easy and must be stirred often.
So then a big pan of water must start to boil, while you are waiting for that is a good time to grate the cheese, both of them into seperate dishes/bowls.
When the lasagan noodles are boiling is when I do the muenster mix and also preheat the oven to 400.
You must decide if you want a 3 or 4 layer dish, I suppose it can go even more if the pan is large enough.
I spread some sauce to the bottom of the pan and lay the noodles out, usually about 6 going the length of the pan and 2 the other way on the ends. The cream muenster cheese is ploped on the noodles follow by some sauce, which is then spread evenly over this layer of noodles.
Now the mozarella can be put on, and a new layer of noodles on top of this.
The thing to keep in mind is to be even for each layer so that you do not run out of stuff at the last layer, or have too much left for the last layer.
This must cook for 1/2 hr 45 minutes keeping in mind it must be cooked well because of the eggs. I turn it around in the oven after about 20 minutes for even cooking, and when it starts bubbling and when the top cheese is a bit browned is when it is ready.
Not quite ready to eat yet, it should stand and cool about 5/10 minutes or else when you cut it and try to take a piece it flows into a glob. If you are hungry it is very hard to wait for it while it is sitting there begging to be eaten.

So that is it, one more note on eating the leftovers the following days: I do not like to microwave it, it comes out like rubber sometimes. The oven leaves it dry, so the solution is ? Steam, use a metal strainer with holes, set a big pan of water to boil and put a nice chunk of leftover lasgna in the strainer, cover it and in about 15 minutes you will have a nice steaming chunk about as good as fresh made.

Old November 25th, 2007 #24
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Much the same as I do it... here are the differences

I use Ricotta Cheese and Motz, I have never heard of using muenster but will give it a shot.

Instead of 2lbs beef, I use about 50/50 ground beef and Italian sausage taken out of the casing and mixed in with the beef.

I also used jarred sauce as a base, but add in fresh basil, lots of garlic and more to make its flavor pop a little more.

Nice tip on steaming the leftovers, as much as I enjoy good food I'm still a guy, I eat my leftovers cold

Old November 25th, 2007 #25
Holly
Self Bannned

Cooking is an artform and the beauty is you can take a recipe and add or subtract whatever you may please to make it to your liking.
My mother has quite a taste of peppers which I do not like, so yes I would pick them out of food but still the flavor of them was there so I thought why not do it myself ? My mother said you would like to cook? Let us start right now so I started at an early age and liked it.
My oldest little sister of 8 is a good cook also and helps all she can, of course children must be watched closely among hot stoves and boiling water. I had burned myself once with hot soup and I would not wish to see anyone go through that bad pain, lucky for me it left no scars.

I do not like ricotta cheese because it reminds me of yogurt which I hate, I think of it as spoiled milk.

Old November 25th, 2007 #26
AlbionMP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post
1 note about my lasagna - Many people including me do not like ricota cheese is it? It is kind of a cream cheese and a main igredent for lasagna so I have developed a better way.
I take muenster cheese and grate it of course, then it is put in a big bowl and 2 eggs and a little milk put in, it is then mixed with a power blender until it is nice and creamy, so it is like the same uhh,, texture of ricota but tastes much better.

My recipe:
2 pounds ground beef
2 pounds each of muenster and mozarella
2/3 jars spagetti sauce [I like Prego traditional] Ragu is Ok.
2 litte cans tomato paste
1-2 boxes lasagna noodles
This makes a large pan, of course amounts can be cut in half if you do not require so much, keep in mind it makes great leftovers.

.....and then cook your wop food.
Not for me thanks!

Last edited by AlbionMP; November 25th, 2007 at 05:13 PM.

Old November 25th, 2007 #27
Holly
Self Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbionMP View Post
Not for me thanks!

To each their own, I think your beef hash smells like Alpo and would no doubt be a great treat for our 4 legged freinds.

Old November 25th, 2007 #28
AlbionMP...

Quote:
To each their own
True!

Germanic food for Germanics and Wop food for Wops!

Old November 25th, 2007 #29
Holly
Self Bannned

Albino if "you are what you eat" I would not like to see your menu, enough said.

Old November 25th, 2007 #30
AlbionMP...

Quote:
Albino if "you are what you eat" I would not like to see your menu, enough said.
....ay!

But that's if - 'you are what you eat'!

I believe - people of different racial pedigree have a different diet!

For example - Germanic people eat Germanic food, Wops eat Wop food (like Lasagna).

However, in this crazy mixed up world, some Germanic people are now eating Wop food (like Lasagna).

Of course - if you are a wop, then your eating the right stuff!

Last edited by AlbionMP; November 25th, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

Old November 25th, 2007 #31
Holly
Self Bannned

I am German and I eat what I want - Enough of your off topic stalking you are finally ignored.

Old November 26th, 2007 #32
AlbionMP...

Holly's Song

"When I was young,
a merry little three.
We had WOP food,
every day for Tea.

Lasagna and Pasta,
isn't it great.
Put them Noodles,
on that plate.

I don't want,
your German crap.
I am happy to be,
an ignorant TWAT!

And when i'm old,
fat and blue.
I'll swap WOP food,
for a Nigger or two.

So shove it,
with your Racist views,
- 'dude'.
And let me eat,
my WOP food."

....happy singing Holly!

Last edited by AlbionMP; November 26th, 2007 at 01:18 PM.

Old November 26th, 2007 #33
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Albion,

There are many other threads to derail, please leave this one for food.

Old November 26th, 2007 #34
Richard H.
Banned

Default food

well; I must admit my weakness is food; I'll eat ANYTHING that doesn't eat me first; as my 6'6"/ 310 lb frame will attest; but lately I went on a steam all your food diet and it's not half bad; today I'm having chicken cordon bleu with new red potatoes and a big red bell pepper stuffed with cottege cheese; PS. the only thing not steamed is the bell pepper; looks good and smells better; bon appetie'

Old November 26th, 2007 #35
Jess_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCross View Post
Albion,

There are many other threads to derail, please leave this one for food.
His post was about food.

Old November 26th, 2007 #36
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

No picture. Chili looks like chili.

This is dangerous for me. If my Dad or Uncles are looking down from Valhalla, I’m in big trouble. We’re from Texas and my Dad and his brothers took Chili very seriously. Me too…Usually. No mixes, lots of careful preparation, and some exotic ingredients. Oh! And Texas Chili NEVER has beans in it.

However, I’m trying to compile some quick and easy things to cook that don’t take up an hour or more in prep and can be thrown together quickly, so yesterday I tested this:

Simple Chili and Beans

1 lb ground beef
1 Medium onion – chopped
Chopped garlic (as much as you like)
1 can kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
1 packet chili powder (or fajita powder or taco powder…whatever)
About a cup of water

[Some notes]

Much as it pained me, I added a can of red beans. I figured that the chili would be too simple without them. I used a small packet of taco powder. I think anything like this would do. If you can’t find a can of diced tomatoes with chili peppers, use a can of diced tomatoes and chop up your own chili peppers.

How to make it:

Hell, you know how to put this together, but here’s what I did:

Brown the ground beef. If necessary add a tablespoon of olive oil (or whatever oil you cook with). While the meat is browning, chop the onions and mince the garlic—however much you want. Add the onions and garlic and continue to brown for only a minute more. Add the can of beans and can of tomatoes with peppers. Stir in the packet of seasoning, and maybe some salt, black pepper, and anything else you fancy. Add a cup of water, and bring everything to a slow boil. Lower the temperature and cover. Let it simmer for an hour and a half. [Check it from time to time, stir, and if necessary add a little liquid.]

Here is the surprise. I expected the chili to be, at best, edible, maybe a little better than commercial chili. Damn! The chili made with this recipe was good, really good. I had it for dinner last night and with fried eggs for breakfast this morning.

Chef Enkidu

Old November 26th, 2007 #37
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
No picture. Chili looks like chili.

This is dangerous for me. If my Dad or Uncles are looking down from Valhalla, I’m in big trouble. We’re from Texas and my Dad and his brothers took Chili very seriously. Me too…Usually. No mixes, lots of careful preparation, and some exotic ingredients. Oh! And Texas Chili NEVER has beans in it.

However, I’m trying to compile some quick and easy things to cook that don’t take up an hour or more in prep and can be thrown together quickly, so yesterday I tested this:

Simple Chili and Beans

1 lb ground beef
1 Medium onion – chopped
Chopped garlic (as much as you like)
1 can kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes with chili peppers
1 packet chili powder (or fajita powder or taco powder…whatever)
About a cup of water

[Some notes]

Much as it pained me, I added a can of red beans. I figured that the chili would be too simple without them. I used a small packet of taco powder. I think anything like this would do. If you can’t find a can of diced tomatoes with chili peppers, use a can of diced tomatoes and chop up your own chili peppers.

How to make it:

Hell, you know how to put this together, but here’s what I did:

Brown the ground beef. If necessary add a tablespoon of olive oil (or whatever oil you cook with). While the meat is browning, chop the onions and mince the garlic—however much you want. Add the onions and garlic and continue to brown for only a minute more. Add the can of beans and can of tomatoes with peppers. Stir in the packet of seasoning, and maybe some salt, black pepper, and anything else you fancy. Add a cup of water, and bring everything to a slow boil. Lower the temperature and cover. Let it simmer for an hour and a half. [Check it from time to time, stir, and if necessary add a little liquid.]

Here is the surprise. I expected the chili to be, at best, edible, maybe a little better than commercial chili. Damn! The chili made with this recipe was good, really good. I had it for dinner last night and with fried eggs for breakfast this morning.

Chef Enkidu

Almost my exact Chili recipe item for item. I also add 1 pound of sage sausage (Bob Evans brand)

Good stuff.

I use Chili beans instead of kidney beans.

Old November 26th, 2007 #38
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibernian 2.0 View Post
Almost my exact Chili recipe item for item. I also add 1 pound of sage sausage (Bob Evans brand)

Good stuff.

I use Chili beans instead of kidney beans.
Odd that you should mention the sausage. I've still got a good size serving of the chili left. I also have about 1/4 lb of mild Italian sausage in the fridge that needs to be used -- soon. I think I'll cook it into the remaining chili and see what that is like.

Waste not, want not.

Enkidu

Old November 26th, 2007 #39
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Instead of the Lawry's seasoning pack I use the stuff that can be found at the meat counter here locally. There are lots of different brands, and it varies from store to store.

I like them better because they have more seasonings, taste better, and come with a small pack of chili powder so you can adjust your spiciness level. They also come with a pack of mesa flour as a thickening agent, this is also adjustable.

When making chili, dont forget the cornbread!

Old November 27th, 2007 #40
SSanguine

This is my ummm Chicken Cheese mixup

You need:

A brain

Glass OvenSafe or Stainless skillet -- no rubber edges

Boneless SKinless Chicken Breasts
Bacon
Onion
Mushrooms
Butter
Salt and Pepper

Sharp Cheddar
Mozzarella
Havarti
Colby

Butter in a skillet with chicken breasts --- Put a few strips of bacon on top of chicken ---season---Cover with a lid and let cook for about 10min--- cut up onions and mushrooms---- turn chicken breasts and bacon--- add onions and shrooms on top and cover again -- continue to let cook until chicken is done --- so don't overcook ( no one likes chewy chicky)

Turn broiler on high

Keep juices in the skillet and seperate the chicken from onions and mushrooms --- Place the Chicken in skillet covering with bacon then the onions and shrooms --- Add all of the cheeses right on top and place into oven to broil -- watch closely and when cheese is melted and starting to brown take out -- There will be a lot of oils from the cheese -- so drain some of this off and cut up to serve.

Simple and tasty

I served mine with Cheddar Potatoes and Broccolli

Can you tell I was in the mood for cheese tonight?!??

Tags
#1, cooking, food, recipe

Thread