Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 28th, 2013 #21
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Always some new madness brewing in the monkey island, huh.

"never shall be slaves"...

Shit like this is the reason sometimes I freeze in my step, dumbstruck, pondering how a place like england actually exists. Or if it even does.

With a newsfeed like this who needs drugs?

Old April 28th, 2013 #22
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wagahuski View Post
Always some new madness brewing in the monkey island, huh.

"never shall be slaves"...

Shit like this is the reason sometimes I freeze in my step, dumbstruck, pondering how a place like england actually exists. Or if it even does.

With a newsfeed like this who needs drugs?
In my tinfoil-less moments, I wonder if it's all a huge experiment and they just like f***ing with us to see how much we'll accept and how far they can push us.

Of course, it they reduced the population of this tiny island and stopped shipping in more, there wouldn't BE as much demand on electricity. But that's the easy option.

Old April 28th, 2013 #23
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

I'm alluding to everything, and smart-fridges are the very least of it.

Old April 28th, 2013 #24
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
I'm alluding to everything, and smart-fridges are the very least of it.
I know. But very often the explanation to the siutation IS to accept that they're seeing how far they can push and, nine times out of ten, the answer to any problem is to stop and reverse the come all ye policy.

------------------

The paper has produced its own comments on this and, of course, completely sidestepped the issue.
Quote:
Since the days when coal was delivered in sacks, the arrangement has been simple. The householder pays for the fuel he needs and can afford. That is how things work in free societies.

But now, thanks to the Establishment’s wholesale embrace of Green dogma, this is no longer so. The authorities are seriously considering plans which will allow them to reach into our houses and reduce the flow of power to our appliances.

We will pay for these complex and faintly sinister arrangements, as we already pay for forests of grossly subsidised and unreliable wind turbines, so forcing up the price of energy once more.

These increased costs are all driven by the ever-more questionable belief that reducing carbon emissions will save the planet. Even if this is so, the rising economies of the East are paying no attention, and are blithely continuing to open coal-fired power stations, as we shut ours.

This mess could be avoided if we reintroduced rationality into our energy policy, cancelling the closure of perfectly serviceable power plants, building new gas and nuclear generators, and exploiting the shale gas which lies beneath our feet.

All that is needed is a return to sanity in the political class, which – if it understands nothing else – must see the cost and intrusion of the ‘energy-saving’ scheme will be deeply unpopular with voters.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...ower-grab.html

It could also be avoided if we REDUCED DEMAND! If we only have enough food, power, services and room for X million people, why on earth do we have X + Y and counting million people drawing on those resources?

Old April 28th, 2013 #25
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
The sensors could also be used if supply of electricity outstripped demand, putting power stations in danger of ‘tripping’ and shutting down temporarily. If the frequency of the supply nudged towards 52Hz, the devices could make fridges become cooler, increasing demand and balancing out the system.
Did anyone else catch this?

It isn't about saving electricity, or lowering demand. This is all about optimizing the profits, plain and simple!

They will cut the populace off, without compensation, to avoid paying out to commercial venues or from firing up backups. If the population becomes too thrifty with their energy consumption, they automatically adjust the consumption to increase demand!

This is all about the money. You will consume what we tell you!

Old April 28th, 2013 #26
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev
why on earth do we have X + Y and counting million people drawing on those resources?
Case in point: you couldn't honestly answer that without the panopticon blaring red alert and hauling you off for clockwork orange-style re-education.

Old April 28th, 2013 #27
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

This type of proposal is vice-like. The government-mismanaged (redundant) 'National Grid' will logically view this capability as the 'new normal.' It's a mandatory, unnecessary, government-facilitated blackout that keeps the lights and TV on. The UK is an oil and coal producer, for Christ's sake. Stupid government faux-environmental laws prevent functional capacity from being supplied, while laughably ridiculous schemes like 'wind power' are mandated.

I really hate the people who push shit like this. It's been talked about in the US. Jew Bloomberg's buddy, Bill Gates, is big on the 'smart house' garbage, as are some of the utilities. As with the 'Smart car' deathtrap, only a fucking fool would buy one.

To Hell with them.

Last edited by Leonard Rouse; April 28th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.

Old April 28th, 2013 #28
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Case in point: you couldn't honestly answer that without the panopticon blaring red alert and hauling you off for clockwork orange-style re-education.
Exactly. Our much-trumpeted freedom of speech ends where someone else's ears or eyes get offended and they are always frantically hunting for something to be offended by. No doubt just asking the question has offended someone, somewhere.

Old April 28th, 2013 #29
Dawn Cannon

Open borders and movement of migrant stock. Personal energy supplies for the moved and existing stocks will become a (controlled) luxury, not a right. Except for the highest castes of course.

"The world we are trying to bring into being will have many difficult days." Hillary Clinton

Old April 28th, 2013 #30
Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Cannon View Post
"The world we are trying to bring into being will have many difficult days." Hillary Clinton
Tikkun olam!

Old April 28th, 2013 #31
Dawn Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
Tikkun olam!
Indeed, yes.

Old April 28th, 2013 #32
Bob 88
This Time The World !

If Scotland votes for independence all the Nuclear power stations will be closed. No doubt we will be cut off from the national grid, so power cuts - some lasting for days could be a regular occurrence

Old April 28th, 2013 #33
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
The sensors could also be used if supply of electricity outstripped demand, putting power stations in danger of ‘tripping’ and shutting down temporarily. If the frequency of the supply nudged towards 52Hz, the devices could make fridges become cooler, increasing demand and balancing out the system.
Did anyone else catch this?

It isn't about saving electricity, or lowering demand. This is all about optimizing the profits, plain and simple!

They will cut the populace off, without compensation, to avoid paying out to commercial venues or from firing up backups. If the population becomes too thrifty with their energy consumption, they automatically adjust the consumption to increase demand!

This is all about the money. You will consume what we tell you!
Anybody want to play "Spot the Jew"?

Who owns National Grid?

Is NGG a good stock to own? Find out who bought National Grid, who sold National Grid (NGG) stock, and who holds a large position in National Grid.

Jennison Associates owns 2.13M shares worth $122.08M
Macquarie owns 1.05M shares worth $60.36M
Toronto-Dominion Bank owns 985550 shares worth $10.87M
Nuveen Asset Management owns 833276 shares worth $47830
Hennessy Advisors owns 767079 shares worth $44.50M
UBS AG owns 654472 shares worth $37.59M
FBR Capital Markets Corporation owns 627908 shares worth $34.76M
First Trust Advisors owns 617300 shares worth $35.81M
Bank of America Corporation owns 617178 shares worth $35.45M
LUMINUS MANAGEMENT owns 516701 shares worth $29.68M
Two Sigma Investments owns 508459 shares worth $24.65M
Wellington Management Company owns 476260 shares worth $27.36M
ClearBridge Advisors owns 474564 shares worth $23.96M
Renaissance Technologies owns 439046 shares worth $23.27M
--- --------------------- ---------------------- owns 437245 shares worth $25.12M
PEAK6 Investments owns 417400 shares worth $20.87M
Frank Russell Company owns 407412 shares worth $23.07M
Manulife Asset Management owns 389077 shares worth $22.35M
Global Currents Investment Management owns 314052 shares worth $16.64M
W. H. Reaves & Co owns 300476 shares worth $17.26M
OppenheimerFunds owns 300000 shares worth $16.61M
ANCHOR CAPITAL ADVISORS owns 292892 shares worth $16.82M
Inves owns 265384 shares worth $14.06M
GOFEN & GLOSSBERG LLC /IL/ owns 263979 shares worth $15.31M
KAMES CAPITAL owns 262120 shares worth $2.78B

Who sold National Grid?

Neuberger Berman sold on Sept. 30, 2011
Brookfield Asset Management sold on Sept. 30, 2011
Levin Capital Strategies sold on March 31, 2011
MANAGED ACCOUNT ADVISORS sold on March 31, 2011
MOORE CAPITAL MANAGEMENT sold on Dec. 31, 2010

Funds that own NGG also own:

Compass Minerals International (CMP)Goldman Sachs (GS)MasterCard Incorporated (MA)Monsanto Company (MON)BioMarin Pharmaceutical (BMRN)AGCO Corporation (AGCO)Apple (AAPL)International Business Machines (IBM)NIKE (NKE)EMC Corporation (EMC)Visa (V)Google (GOOG)priceline.com Incorporated (PCLN)Amazon (AMZN)Calpine Corporation (CPN)Cinemark Holdings (CNK)Carrizo Oil & Gas (CRZO)Mobile Mini (MINI)Moog (MOG.A)Vail Resorts (MTN)Dresser-Rand (DRC)

http://stockzoa.com/ticker/ngg/

Old April 28th, 2013 #34
Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Cannon View Post
Indeed, yes.

Who remembers Peter, Paul and Mary, et al?

If only they had been 'Leaving on a Jet Plane'....
Quote:
April 1, 2004

Peter Yarrow—Peace, Love and Tikkun Olam

By Naomi Pfefferman

Source http://www.jewishjournal.com/arts/ar..._olam_20040402

Back in the social-action heydey of the 1960s, tikkun olam was everyone's favorite mitzvah. Repairing the world was hip, and folk anthems such as "Times They Are a Changin'" were as de rigueur around Jewish campfires as that ditty about animals boarding Noah's ark two by two.

Now those times have changed, and justice-tinged pop seems charmingly old-fashioned in an era of Britney and Christina (or spoof-worthy, as in the 2003 Christopher Guest mockumentary, "A Mighty Wind"). But just as you're wondering, "Where have all the folkies gone?" comes Peter Yarrow of the earnest folk trio, Peter, Paul & Mary. At 65, he's portlier and more teddy bearish than when the group debuted in Greenwich Village in 1961, helping to spur a musical and social revolution. Yet he's still crisscrossing the country with his acoustic guitar, fighting the good fight through music, playing his gently urgent tunes all across the land.

In September 2002, he trekked to San Diego to show solidarity for a synagogue that lost a congregant in the Hebrew University cafeteria bombing.
On a January day in Iowa, he boarded a campaign bus to support presidential candidate John Kerry, his old friend from the Vietnam War protest movement.
On May 1, he'll perform a solo benefit concert for Temple Beth Tikvah at Plummer Auditorium in Fullerton, his only Southern California stop on a tour to promote his current projects. Between songs such as "Leaving on a Jet Plane," he'll tout his anti-bullying program, Operation Respect, which has reached more than 10,000 schools, and two new Peter, Paul & Mary releases, "In These Times" and the boxed set, "Carry It On."

Then he'll rush off to his next destination: "Peter always works too hard," as the group's Mary Travers recently told Parade. "He's always flying somewhere."
In an interview from his New York home just before he was scheduled to leave on another jet plane, Yarrow's famously mellifluous voice was hoarse from too much air travel. Nevertheless, he waxed on about why he remains passionately committed to folk music and to his favorite mitzvah of tikkun olam.

"As a Jew and a human being, I believe I have a moral imperative to fight injustice, and I've seen how folk music can help do that," he said. "Its power is that it allows people to realize that we should care about one another and that we should all do our part."

If folk's message is tikkun olam, the music itself feels Jewish to Yarrow.

"It's as if there's always a reminder of sadness, loss, hope and yearning for a better world," he said. He demonstrated by chanting a mournful "Ai chitty chitty bim bam bam," which was heartfelt but slightly jarring coming from the guy who immortalized "Puff the Magic Dragon."

Yarrow first discovered folk's power at Cornell University in the 1950s. With his Pete Seeger records and hand-me-down clothes, this son of a progressive Jewish schoolteacher felt acutely out of place amid his conservative, sometimes anti-Semitic classmates.

"In the freshman dorm, someone called me a dirty Jew and punched me hard in the face," he recalled.

As a professor's assistant his senior year, he said he taught a folk music course to "Cornell 'men' who were preoccupied with dressing in the right tweed jacket. But when they started singing along, their voices opened and so did their hearts." In an instant, the fiercely idealistic Yarrow knew what he wanted to do with his life: change the world through song.

After graduation in 1959, he made a beeline for the country's folk capital, Greenwich Village, where he hooked up with Travers and Noel "Paul" Stookey. Before long, their folk songs were among the first to air on AM radio stations, paving the way for artists such as Bob Dylan and proving that popular music could convey serious, sociopolitical messages. Among Yarrow's favorite memories: Performing "If I Had a Hammer" at the 1963 rally where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his "I Have a Dream Speech."

Over the years, it was Yarrow who became known as the group's most tireless activist, organizing "no nukes" rallies and demonstrating for peaceniks in Israel, among other endeavors.

He brought his guitar everywhere, but in the late 1990s he began worrying that his work had been based on a faulty premise. For decades, he'd been preaching to adults, yet war and racism remained rampant.

"I thought, 'We should start with children, because they are still malleable,"
said Yarrow, who founded Operation Respect in 1999. "All the movements I've been involved with are about disrespect in one form or another, so this targets the problem early on."

With Yarrow as its founder, Operation Respect naturally has a theme song, "Don't Laugh at Me," which impressed Beth Tikvah's Miriam Van Raalte.
"One of my biggest thrusts at religious school is that we all get along, so the lyrics really hit home," said Van Raalte, the synagogue's administrator and education director. She's requested that Yarrow sing the song with her students at the upcoming concert, and the folkie will be happy to oblige.

It's all part of his favorite mitzvah, he told The Journal, before catching that jet plane to his next tikkun olam gig.
For concert tickets, $35-150, and information, call (714) 871-3687. ]

Last edited by Henry.; April 28th, 2013 at 01:05 PM.

Old April 28th, 2013 #35
Zander

Surely they would save more electricity if they shut off all the "one-eyed jews" in the corner of the living rooms during lean times? No wasted food from shutting off the T.V. Shutting down the TV's is not mentioned...I wonder why?

Old April 28th, 2013 #36
Karl Radl
The Epitome of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
Surely they would save more electricity if they shut off all the "one-eyed jews" in the corner of the living rooms during lean times? No wasted food from shutting off the T.V. Shutting down the TV's is not mentioned...I wonder why?
How about the utility companies actually invest their profits in building sustainable power generators?

You know other than asking for price rises every two minutes because of the 'cost of maintaining the infrastructure' then six months later announce 'record profits'.

I doubt very much of that profit got reinvested in power generation instead it goes to line the pockets of investors and the occasional government official.

Old April 28th, 2013 #37
Dan Smith
Banned

Quote:
Tikkun olam!
All Hillary Clinton is referring to is a world governed by scientists and engineers, instead of businessmen and salespeople.

Civilization is doomed and they know it. This is their futile attempt to slow down the inevitable. Endless growth or "sustainable" growth is unsustainable because both are still GROWTH.

Old April 28th, 2013 #38
Dawn Cannon

Quote:
Who remembers Peter, Paul and Mary, et al?

If only they had been 'Leaving on a Jet Plane'....
"As a Jew and a human being" (as opposed to a non-human being)

Terraforming:

Operation Respect
Operation Respect is a non-profit organization working to assure each child and youth a respectful, safe and compassionate climate of learning where their academic, social and emotional development can take place free of bullying, ridicule and violence.
http ://www.operationrespect.org/about/mission.php

Old April 28th, 2013 #39
Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Radl View Post
How about the utility companies actually invest their profits in building sustainable power generators?
There are always going to be peaks and troughs in power demand. If everyone switches on the kettle after Eastenders or the FA Cup Final, the suppliers need to start more generators, just for 10 minutes - and starting and stopping is always going to be a very expensive thing to do - and all expenses go on your bill.

Alternatively, they could just switch off everyone's freezer for 10 minutes, and save the cost of starting and stopping generators, maybe even save the cost of building some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Radl View Post
You know other than asking for price rises every two minutes because of the 'cost of maintaining the infrastructure' then six months later announce 'record profits'.

I doubt very much of that profit got reinvested in power generation instead it goes to line the pockets of investors and the occasional government official.
I assume the profit margin is not that great, or everyone would be selling all their other investments and buying shares in power companies. I expect the main factor driving prices, rightly or wrongly, is the global warming lobby.

Old April 28th, 2013 #40
Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
All Hillary Clinton is referring to is a world governed by scientists and engineers, instead of businessmen and salespeople.

Civilization is doomed and they know it. This is their futile attempt to slow down the inevitable. Endless growth or "sustainable" growth is unsustainable because both are still GROWTH.
We know all about 'growth' Danny. Some of us have been warning against it since 1975. What were you doing in 1975?

Now here's Hillary's Big Boss in the White House mentioning the 'tikkun' thing that you clam is not of her thinking. So what's her main man jive talking about then?

Obama at the Hanukkah celebration in 2011.

Listen @2:50 where Obama says the following:
Let's think about those who are away from home including members of our military who guard our freedoms around the world. Let's extend a hand to those who are in need and allow the values of tikkun olam to guide our work this holiday season....

Tags
smart meters

Thread