VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 11th, 2007 #21
Karen Z.
VNNr since '05

Quote:
Quote:

Are you asking me to review 1554, beyond my simplistic prior description? Whether you are or not, I think I'll go find some and get back with you on that.

I most humbly do ask..lol. The more people who appreciate good beer that post reviews, the better. You don't have to be a writer, I sure as hell ain't. You don't have to know the nomenclature. You'll pick that up if you keep up with the thread. VNN is a lot of things. This thread can (and will, even if it's just mine) grow over time to include literally hundreds of reviews. Brewing Mead/beer is a very ancient and fascinating Aryan art. I intend, in a very small way, for this thread to become a future resource for those of our folk who will be coming to VNNF and might find it of some interest. You see, here at VNNF we serve all your WN informational needs. Think of us as Aryan~Mart.
Well I finally picked up some 1554, and I'm having one at the moment, so heres my review. I learned a few things going to various tastings with my friend ,who was a liqour salesperson.

A-Looks and pours a bit like Coke, and has a dark brown body with reddish highlights. Scant head, whats there is very dense and camel colored.

T-Flavor is chocolatey, mollassesy, smokey and slightly bitter in the mouth, but there is no bitterness in the aftertaste, which is very smooth. This beer has big flavor but finishes very clean. You take another drink right away.

M-not highly carbonated, taste and bubbles are nicely balanced.

D-this beer is black but not heavy, with a lot of flavor, I consider it very drinkable. It starts to get a bit sweet after 5 or so, so you may want to alternate glasses of it with pints of Guinness.

Old May 13th, 2007 #22
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Thumbs up

I'm a big fan of dark beer/ale, and 1554 sounds good. I still haven't seen it around here, but when I do, I'll pick it up.

Thanks for the review. Well done.

Old May 18th, 2007 #23
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale hails from Chico, California. Home of one great beer, and assloads of filthy Mexicans Kwanifornia, if you will.

This top fermenting Pale Ale is one of my all-time favorites. I have at least a six a month of this beer.

It pours deep amber into the chilled pub glass, and slightly cloudy, as it is bottle conditioned. (live yeast is added to each bottle at capping, allowing natural carbonation...Neat, huh?) Minimal compact head, which dissipates to lace within seconds in a clean glass.

The initial hop aroma is quite complex, Very fruity with the TONS of cascade hops used imparting a spicy aroma, with the very noticeable aroma of orange zest.

Two types of malt are used, I'm assuming they are both light American malts, because the maltiness is barely there. It's present, but faint. Very refreshing.

The mouth feel is very light, with the malt still taking a far back seat to the cascade hops. Cascade hops are Noble hops, which are VERY expensive to obtain. If you are good little VNNers, we will talk about Noble hops at length in a future review of a World-Class American Lager that uses only Noble hops.

Oh! The suspense, Hibernian! Tell us which beer!

No. Ha!

The finish is quite dry, as it should be with such a highly hopped brew. You'll want another.

It's 5.6 ABV, so once again, it's an ale that is just a little stronger than most 'Kwan mass produced swill.

5.99 a six, WWW.SIERRANEVADA.COM

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; May 18th, 2007 at 03:57 PM.

Old May 18th, 2007 #24
Karen Z.
VNNr since '05

Great review! I've had Sierra Nevada, tis a very tasty ale. I'm not a pale beer fan, either.
There isn't any beer thats hard to get here because we have 'Big Daddys' a literal liqour mall. which just happens to be right down the street from my new place. No ,it's not the ghetto.
One beer you can't get in the states that I'd really liketo try is 'Melbourne Bitters', which apparently is what gets all the Aussiholics drunk.

Old May 18th, 2007 #25
Mark Kerpolt

The best beer I had was in Luxemburg, Die Kirch if I recall correctly.. Also Belgian brands are good, and of course (Southern) German ones...

Old May 18th, 2007 #26
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Samuel Adams Pale Ale

Samuel Adams was one of the original, and perhaps best known "micro-breweries" or small batch craft brewers that burst onto the American beer scene a few years back.

Best known for their excellent Boston Lager, Samuel Adams Pale Ale is one of the brewery's Brew Masters selection. It's seasonal, available during Spring/Summer only.

This ale pours light gold in the chilled pub glass, it actually looks a little watered down.

It's not.

The initial hop aroma is much more subdued than other Pale Ale's reviewed on this thread. It's got a slight pine forest note, which is nice, but I generally prefer a more aggressively hopped Pale Ale. One gets the feeling the brewer is trying hard not to offend neophyte Bud Lite drinkers.

English hops are used, Fuggles and East Kent Goldings.

American Amber 2-row malt is used, which explains it's really quite light complexion.

The finish is dry, with no discernible aftertaste.

All in all, a decent beer, but pretty unremarkable. Grab a Bass Ale instead.

6.99 a sixer, WWW.SAMUELADAMS.COM

Old May 18th, 2007 #27
Karen Z.
VNNr since '05

Sam Adams is one of those beers that I really liked at first, maybe it was the brainwashing from the commercials.. then it started to just get too sweet and yeasty for me. Now I can't stand it. I haven't tried any of the other varieties, yet.

Old May 18th, 2007 #28
William Hyde
Someday Never Comes

My favorite beer is Warsteiner, it's in a class all it's own. In a pinch I'll drink Heineken, and if I have to slum it a bit - Coors & Shiner Bochs are pretty good for the U.S. beers.

Old May 19th, 2007 #29
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel: If you have not tried this yet, find it. One of, if not the best dark beer I have ever had. Im lucky enough to have found a store that will order it for me. $30 bucks a case tho.

http://www.warsteiner-usa.com/product2.jsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_Hyde View Post
My favorite beer is Warsteiner, it's in a class all it's own. In a pinch I'll drink Heineken, and if I have to slum it a bit - Coors & Shiner Bochs are pretty good for the U.S. beers.

Old May 21st, 2007 #30
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Bock me? Bock you!

I've never been to Texas.

When I was 17, (about a hundred years ago) and a scared recruit at Parris Island for USMC boot (Platoon 3022. Third herd!) my best buddy and squad leader was from Texas.

The D.I.'s used to like to insult him by asking "Where are your horns? The only things that come out of Texas are steers and queers" HAW-HAW.

Hey, Chaucer they weren't.

Shiner Bock was first brewed by the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner, TX in 1913. The brewery boasts of being Texas's oldest independent brewery. Independence is always a good thing, in my humble Irish opinion.

Bock beer was/is traditionally brewed in Der Fatherland to celebrate the arrival of Spring. It's an old style European lager. The Czech and German farmers built the brewery in 1909, because they wanted a taste of the Old World.

Shiner Bock pours a rich, ruby red in the chilled pub glass.

Where are the hops!?

The initial hop aroma is pretty much non-existent. Of course, Bock beer is not about the hops, but the malt. And malt it has.

In spades. The good kind of spades, you toxoid VNNF racist.

The head is full and long lasting, which is usually a good thing

This is a classic Bock beer, with a deep malt taste that "really grabs you by the boo-boo", as my GF says. I'm not exactly sure where my "boo-boo" is, but I'll consider it grabbed.

The mouth feel is surprisingly light and smooth for such a malty brew. Not heavy or sweet at all.

Bock beer, like some other styles, is an acquired taste. If your regular brew is anything akin to Bud Lite, you are not going to like this..lol.

The finish is not as clean as I like, just a little bitter. But really not enough to be a distraction.

It's a decent American example of the very old German Bock Lager style, but look across the Atlantic for the real thing.

6.99 a sixer at Giant Eagle. No website listed.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; May 21st, 2007 at 03:08 PM.

Old June 3rd, 2007 #31
-JC
Doesn't suffer fools well

Default Beer: When I was 18

I worked at a Bavarian Rathskeller in Washington, DC and a regular customer was the late Werner von Braun, the V2 inventor brought to America by the Berlin airlift; no doubt he came looking for a little bit of home. I have his autograph somewhere on a cocktail napkin. The music was from an accordion, a violin, and two pianos. A large percentage of the customers always sang along to the popular songs in German. It was always very festive. The food was authentic, the chef from Argentina, and the customers all very decent. Lowenbrau was on draft, both light and dark, and in September the draft bock beer arrived. While I like dark beer, my favorite has always been Lowenbrau light draft, even at Oktoberfest.

Recently, I tried Bohemia from Mexico in glass and it is very good. The local grocery carries it and, for the price, I recommend it.

Old June 23rd, 2007 #32
MASHER
OnThePathToTrustMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVROR TEVTONICVS View Post
KWAn Beer is gahhhbage, however Sam Adams is not bad and sometimes they have Yankee brands with seasonal ales that are good too. European or homemade beer is the best way to go.
Sam Adams is owned by a kike, I heard.

The best cheap,local beer I've had is Yuengling Lager.

My favorite is Guinness.

Old June 23rd, 2007 #33
MASHER
OnThePathToTrustMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_Hyde View Post
Warsteiner...Mmmm. Bought a case a couple of weeks ago.

MASHER

Old October 18th, 2007 #34
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibernian 2.0 View Post
In the early-19th century, Our White ancestors, in the form of the British Empire, ruled India. Land of Tigers. And "Holy Men" who drink their own piss. I'm guessing Altoids were a big seller in India in those days. Anyway, the Brits had a bit of a sticky wicket with their troops Pale ale supply. It spoiled on the weeks long schooner trip from Jolly Old England. Which really pissed (no pun intended) the lads straight off, as India tends to get rather hot, and Gatorade had not been invented yet. (for you public school graduates) To solve the problem, Those crafty Aryan brewers started adding large amounts of hops during the lagering (aging) of the ale as a preservative. They then shipped the ale off in new oak-lined kegs, and "hopped" for the best.

When tapped by thirsty British troopers, the normally golden pale ale had turned a deep copper, and the extra hops had indeed preserved the ale to perfection, and added a fruity bouquet that was truly distinctive. They christened the transformed brew "India Pale Ale." (IPA) Honest. I don't make this shit up. I was on Jeopardy! dammit!

Still reading? Or did you run off to check CNN to see if David Duke is the real father of Anna Nicole Smith's baby?

I've tried Lots of IPAs. It's one of my favorite styles of ale. Goose Island India Pale Ale hails from the Goose Island brewery in Chicago. Which seems to make sense. I've never had one. Let's try one together, shall we?

This ale is the color of strong iced tea. The head is tan and creamy. Aroma is hops hops hops. I catch a whiff of orange and a very light undertone of what smells like fresh-cut grass, if that makes sense. Very pleasant. Smells like Spring. This ale is lightly malted, allowing the full flavor of the very aromatic hops to dominate. If you don't like hoppy beer/ale, you will Hate this one. The beer (all ale is beer, but not all beer is ale. Wrap your minds around that) is very light in both texture and flavor. It really does have a fruity taste to it, more so than other IPAs. It's not unpleasant though, and gives it a strong hop/bitter aftertaste. (As all IPAs have)

The alcohol content is going to be a little higher than you are used to if you consider Michelob imported. (It's not). The higher alcohol content is what allowed the ale to survive the voyage to the hinterlands of British India, which we once owned, and where now I have to call every time I need any sort of customer support. Fuck You Gandhi! In summary: It's a good IPA. The carrier boasts that it is "Recognized as among the world's finest". Only if the judges were niggers smoking assloads of crack. Don't get me wrong... It's a good IPA. But for a true example of a World Class India Pale Ale, look to England. I know I am. 6.1 on the scale. 7.99 a six. I'm guessing it's regional. WWW.GOOSEISLAND.COM

I had occasion to try this beer again last night, and my 6.1 score was a little low. Might have gotten a light struck sixer last time. This is a pretty good IPA. Revised score: 8.7

Old October 18th, 2007 #35
RabbitNoMore
Made Billions that day

Warsteiner Dunkel!

Get some!!!

Old October 21st, 2007 #36
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

Just got back from my local version of Oktoberfest. Granted it is a very meek substitute, but I digress.

Featured: Warsteiner beer

Hefeweizen Very good stuff. Has the color and the hint of cloudy amber you expect from Hefe. The major difference from a regular Hefe and Warsteiner is the spice. Upon the first sip you can taste a mild cinnamon or nutmeg spice to it. Before you start to think about spiced beer, the rest of the flavors kick in to add richness and body to it. The spice flavor is very mild and blends in well with the overall taste of the beer.

Some Hefe is made better by a dash of salt or a squeeze of lemon, but this one has a perfect flavor right out of the tap. A+

Dunkel: This is one of my favorite beers of all time, as seen in a post below. This beer has a wonderful reddish brown color and mouthwatering aroma. Many people are turned off at the sound of a “dark” beer. They have not tried the Dunkel.

After the first sip you know you have never had a beer like this. A hint of spice and a slight berry flavor leads to the clean flavors of malt. This beer leaves no heavy aftertaste like those other dark beers you have had. Dunkel does not make you feel like you are drinking a heavy meal at your Thanksgiving table. For all the flavor and dark color it is surprisingly refreshing and light. This is a beer I could drink all day and night if it wasn’t for that pesky alcohol limiting my intake. A++

If you like Bud, Miller, Coors or any of the other major American brands, forget spending the extra cash for real beer. Real beer has flavor, Warsteiner is not for you.

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old October 21st, 2007 #37
TwistedCross
Smart Ass White Boy

I dont know if it is related to the beer or not, but the last 2 nights I have been drinking Hefe and have had very lucid dreams just before I woke up. I am an active dreamer, but these were unusual. Could just be me, could be the beer, I really have no idea

VNN: for entertainment purposes only.

Old November 9th, 2007 #38
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Thumbs up Saranac Pale Ale

If you have suffered through many of these reviews, you no doubt wonder why I review so many Pale ales?

What's with all the questions? You a bunch of fucking Kikes?

I kid, because I care.

OK, I know...I'm not nearly as funny as I think I am. You should see the negative rep I get. Alex called me a "perpetually inebriated Celtic goat fucker" once. Or maybe that was Dad?

Anyway:

Saranac Pale Ale is touted as "..a classic English Pale Ale.." brewed in Utica, Jew York. Why, I have no idea.

The beer pours a rich copper-amber in the chilled pub glass. Bright White head which lingers as a noticeable skim until the bottom of the glass, and laces the entire glass.

Kent Goldings & Fuggles hops are used for both bittering and finishing, and I mean an Auschwitz-bound Hops Uber Alles boxcar full of 'em.

Initial aroma is strong. Very fruity. I'm talking Richard Simmons-fruity. This is another pale ale that is aggressively hopped.

Did I mention it's got a lot of hops?

The mouth feel is medium, with a hint of caramel (caramel malt, I assume?) and pretty bitter. Not too bitter, mind you.

Finish is crisp, no aftertaste. Sahara-dry.

If you don't like hops, you shouldn't purchase this ale. You probably shouldn't even look at it on the shelf at Beers R Us..

This ain't Miller Chill, vato blanco.

I like it, 7.1 on the scale.

5.7 ABV. 6.99 a sixer, www.saranac.com

I've got like 4 more beers to review tonight.

I'm Irish. I get funnier as I drink.

I promise. Stay tuned.

Old November 9th, 2007 #39
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibernian 2.0 View Post
If you have suffered through many of these reviews, you no doubt wonder why I review so many Pale ales?

What's with all the questions? You a bunch of fucking Kikes?

I kid, because I care.

OK, I know...I'm not nearly as funny as I think I am. You should see the negative rep I get. Alex called me a "perpetually inebriated Celtic goat fucker" once. Or maybe that was Dad?

Anyway:

Saranac Pale Ale is touted as "..a classic English Pale Ale.." brewed in Utica, Jew York. Why, I have no idea.

The beer pours a rich copper-amber in the chilled pub glass. Bright White head which lingers as a noticeable skim until the bottom of the glass, and laces the entire glass.

Kent Goldings & Fuggles hops are used for both bittering and finishing, and I mean an Auschwitz-bound Hops Uber Alles boxcar full of 'em.

Initial aroma is strong. Very fruity. I'm talking Richard Simmons-fruity. This is another pale ale that is aggressively hopped.

Did I mention it's got a lot of hops?

The mouth feel is medium, with a hint of caramel (caramel malt, I assume?) and pretty bitter. Not too bitter, mind you.

Finish is crisp, no aftertaste. Sahara-dry.

If you don't like hops, you shouldn't purchase this ale. You probably shouldn't even look at it on the shelf at Beers R Us..

This ain't Miller Chill, vato blanco.

I like it, 7.1 on the scale.

5.7 ABV. 6.99 a sixer, www.saranac.com

I've got like 4 more beers to review tonight.

I'm Irish. I get funnier as I drink.

I promise. Stay tuned.
I had that beer once when I was in the finger lakes area of NY. It takes a little getting used to. I'd give more like a 6.5. Reminded me of Bass Ale.

GREL

Old November 12th, 2007 #40
l1235

Default My Opinion

Warsteiner is the Budweiser of Germany as Grolsch is the Bud of Holland. Heineken is overcarbonated without much flavor otherwise. Pilsner Urquel and Stella Artois are great lagers with awesome full flavor. Try a Corona/lime and a single malt/rocks in the other hand; sip back to back, prepare to see GOD........

Tags
beer, small breweries

Thread