View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2021 #199
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
GOP senators say MEGHAN MARKLE has called to press for support on paid leave measure in Biden’s spending bill

4 Nov, 2021 04:16 / Updated 17 hours ago

British royal and former American actress Meghan Markle has called multiple Republican senators to garner support for a paid leave plan in a massive social spending bill, the lawmakers said, after Democrats revived the measure.

Two GOP senators, Shelly Capito of West Virginia and Susan Collins of Maine, said they received calls from Prince Harry’s wife recently, according to reports in Politico and the New York Times on Wednesday.

“I’m in my car. I’m driving. It says ‘caller ID blocked.’ Honestly… I thought it was [Senator Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia)]. His calls come in blocked,” Capito said.

"And she goes 'Senator Capito?' I said, 'Yes.' She said, 'This is Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex.’ ... I couldn’t figure out how she got my number."

Collins also said that she was “happy to talk with [Markle]” and that “much to my surprise, she called me on my private line and she introduced herself as the Duchess of Sussex, which is kind of ironic.” However, the senator noted she is “more interested in what the people of Maine are telling me” about the paid leave provision, which is currently opposed by Republicans unanimously.
https://www.rt.com/usa/539318-meghan...ican-senators/