View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2012 #33
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas de Aynesworth View Post
The improbability would stem from the lack of any evidence of this kind that links the Caucasian Iberians with the Iberians from the peninsula. So far, I have yet to see genetic, archaeological or primary literary sources confirming this. What I have seen are writers from the 11th c. AD onwards from the Caucasus harp on about a brotherhood between the two Iberias. I have never stated that migration did not occur, so you may dispense with the straw man now.

I would believe that Venus-descended Aeneas of Troy sailed and rode for a decade to found the Latin state that would become Rome before I believed in some undocumented Iberian kinship based on the arbitrary naming of the regions by the Romans.

Furthermore, my explanation that her traits could be atavistic from the Germanic influence in Iberia is proof enough that I have just claimed the opposite.
The evidence for a westward migration by Caucasian Iberians into what is now Spain is apparent in the Iberian alphabet, which shows marked similarities to other scripts which evolved in the Near East:

The chart below shows Iberian letters compared to their counterparts in the Greek and Phoenician alphabets:

The use of Iberian scripts and their associated languages gradually declined as the Roman Empire conquered and latinized the population of what is now Spain. They were gradually forgotten until the 18th century when antiquarians began to rediscover and decipher the ancient texts.

Above: The Botorrita Inscription – on four bronze plaques found near Zaragoza in Aragon in northern Spain. The plaques were discovered in 1970, 1979 and 1994. They are dated to the first century BC.

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; January 16th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.