VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > News & Discussion > General Discussion
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

Thread Display Modes Share
Old May 31st, 2017 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post How I got "alt-right" white nationalist leader Richard Spencer booted from his podcast platform

I got the notorious white nationalist Richard Spencer kicked off of his podcast platform.

Spencer, the leader of the white nationalist so-called “alt-right” who has made it clear he believes people of color are inferior to whites, is a lightning rod for controversy. He advocate what he calls “peaceful ethnic cleansing” and claims that Latinos and African Americans have lower average IQs than whites. Auburn University initially canceled a speech he was set to give in April, but a court ruled that he must be allowed to speak. Hundreds of people protested outside the event. In January, he took a flying punch in the neck from a masked person in the middle of an interview, immediately falling out of the view of the camera.

Recently, the Virginia gym Spencer belonged to revoked his membership after a university professor confronted him in the weight room and outed him as a vocal white nationalist. “This is our December 1932. We have a choice,” wrote the Georgetown professor, Christine Fair, in a column for the Washington Post explaining her actions. “We can refuse to treat this hateful, dangerous ideology as just another way of being, and fight it in every space we occupy.”

Last Monday, I noticed that the podcast Spencer produces with his alt-right website had a paid account at SoundCloud, the popular streaming website. The “AltRight Radio” account didn’t have many followers, but some of the podcasts themselves, which one can embed on most websites, had been listened to roughly 12,000 times.

I wondered whether Spencer’s hate-filled podcasts were violating SoundCloud’s terms of service. Sure enough, SoundCloud’s community guidelines were clear: The company forbids “content that promotes or encourages hatred, discrimination or violence against others based on things like race, cultural identity or ethnic background, religious beliefs, disability, gender identity, or sexual orientation.”

Here’s just one exchange on one AltRight Radio episode called “You Say You Want a Revolution,” in which Paul Kersey, founder of the racist Stuff Black People Don’t Like website, makes it clear that he’s a racist white supremacist. And Spencer agrees with his bigoted assertions.

There are more choice quotes from white nationalist Jared Taylor, whose “Beyond Conservatism” speech was uploaded to SoundCloud by AltRight Radio, and anti-Semite Kevin MacDonald, a guest on a podcast episode.

Per its terms of use, SoundCloud can suspend or terminate an account if it violates its community guidelines. I did a tweetstorm about the AltRight Radio account and the racist, anti-Semitic ideologies of its creator, urging SoundCloud to terminate the account. The next morning, the company did just that.

All we’ve heard from Spencer on the matter was this tweet from last Tuesday

An associated account, Radix Radio, from the journal published by Spencer’s racist National Policy Institute appears to be terminated as well, although it’s unclear when it was taken down. Several podcasts t

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.salon.com/2017/05/31/how-...tform_partner/

Tags
censorship, richard spencer

Thread