VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 11th, 2023 #1
Taliesen
Banned

Default Small Short Term Survival Kit

I was recently in a situation where I was working in the woods and got turned around and it took a few hours to get back to camp (even though I was working less than a hundred yards from the camp).

While stumbling around in the woods getting exhausted and soaking wet (it was raining and everything was wet), I got to thinking how I was going to make it through the night if I didn't get out by then, because, although the temerature was in the mid-50s, it was supposed to drop down to the mid-30s over night.

I'll be working and don't want to have to carry a heavy, bulky kit, I want to pack the smallest number of things possible. This is the kit I'm going to put together for future use.

To get out of the woods quickly:
1. Cell phone
2. Compass (in case cell phone fails for some reason)

To use if I have to stay the night:
3. Firestarter (dry matches, lighter, fire putty, etc.)
4. Space blanket
5. Water filter straw
6. Knife
7. Small wire saw
8. Small first aid kit (alcohol wipes, bandaids, gauze)
9. Dry socks
10. Gloves and hat if weather warrants them

Old November 12th, 2023 #2
Ray Allan

Always good to have these personal kits, and ones of various sizes stashed in home, vehicle, workplace, and so on. I've had them for years. One time I became stuck in snow overnight on Interstate 80 in the Sierras not far from where the Donner party got trapped. A snowstorm moved in closing the freeway for several hours until the plows got through. This happened in the early 1980s, so no cell phones and I didn't have a CB radio, either. I was already wearing winter clothing, so I pulled a space blanket out of my kit and covered myself with it, and I had some water and energy bars. An 18-wheel truck was also stopped not far from me and the driver actually came and checked on me. He of course had a CB in his rig, so he told me what was going on, and I had my own car radio for news. So I just sacked out for a while, starting the engine periodically to run the heater for a few minutes. It stopped snowing not much later and CalTrans showed up about 5 a.m. and I was on my merry way to Reno. But even in a situation like that, having some emergency supplies is helpful.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Last edited by Ray Allan; November 12th, 2023 at 09:17 PM.

Thread