VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 17th, 2014 #1
Jae Manzel

Default #1 Giant rat invasion thread

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...MORE-Kent.html

Is there a plague of giant rats sweeping Britain? More huge rodents 'the size of small cats' are pictured by worried homeowners

• Pest controllers seeing rats the 'size of small cats' in cities across the UK
  • A monster rat two feet long was caught and killed in Kent and Cornwall
  • Rodents up and down the country are becoming immune to poison
  • Pest controllers are calling on the EU to approve stronger poison

Old April 17th, 2014 #2
Jae Manzel

'Cat-Sized Rats' in Liverpool Risk National Pest Explosion

Giant rats have reached Liverpool, prompting calls for the EU and Whitehall to bring in stronger poisons to tackle the growing crisis, pest controllers have warned.

The 2ft rodents have been caught and photographed in Merseyside, following recent sightings in London and Birmingham.

The rats are growing to the size of small cats because they are developing resistance to traditional poisons and are feasting on discarded junk food and household waste.

Merseyside pest controller Sean Whelan, who captured a specimen he described as huge on an industrial estate, warned that the problem was getting worse.

"We're definitely seeing bigger rats," he said. "Access to food is so easy for them."

His company has seen a 15% rise in rat infestation call-outs in the last year.

He said: "It is not unusual to see rats this large in rural areas, but it used to be pretty rare in city environments. There is something going on. They might be evolving in some way because of their immunity to poison.

"We are seeing growth all over the place – in Birmingham, London and the northwest. There is a hot spot between Winchester and Salisbury where all the army areas are. The poisons in those areas don't work.

"Stoke-on-Trent also has a problem and in London the bait simply doesn't work no matter how much you put down and how much they eat.

"It is getting to the point where we will have to go the EU and the government to get a decision on stronger bait."
Related

Calls for stronger baits have been opposed by wildlife campaigners who fear the move could kill off birds and animals.

The rats carry diseases that can be passed to humans, including Weil's disease, which killed Olympic rowing champion Andy Holmes in 2010.

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health has warned that government budget cuts on pest control were risking "a national pest explosion".

Birmingham had the highest number of rat call-outs over the past year at 5,100, ahead of Blaenau Gwent and Bridgend in South Wales. Liverpool had 2,008 in 2013 compared to 1,860 in 2012.

Steve Brindley, 59, of Evergreen Pest Control in Birmingham, warned: "The rats aren't going to go away. They will just breed at a faster rate because they are not being controlled.

"Pest problems are going up because of today's style of living. People come out of takeaways and throw food on the floor - it is a nice ready meal for the rats."

The rat population in Britain is estimated to be between 10.5 and 80 million.

Old April 17th, 2014 #3
Jae Manzel

Town over-run by giant rats with massive fangs amid fears they could make their way to Ireland

Giant 'German' rats with massive fangs are feared to be making their way to Ireland.

The terrifying river-dwellers have taken over the town of Halle, in Germany - a town just 700 miles from Ireland.

The settlement is the birthplace of Nazi Reinhard Heydrich, one of the architects of the Holocaust, in which six millions Jews were murdered.

Its river is now overrun with the hardy rodents known as coypu, water rats from South America which can grow up to 42 inches long.

One resident, who asked not to be named, told the Daily Star: "We just couldn't believe it when the creatures turned up in the river.

"A few people thought they were cute but as soon as we discovered they were rats many people became frightened.

"At the minute their numbers seem to be under control but many of us are worried they'll end up multiplying like ordinary brown rats, so the town will be overrun."

The terrifying rats made it as far as Britain in 1945 when the critters invaded Norfolk.

A population persisted in the area until the 1970s, when the last was killed.

Old April 17th, 2014 #4
Jae Manzel

Default Belfast on alert after 'super rat' find

http://www.u.tv/News/Belfast-on-aler...0-d15e07e44e94

The so-called 'super rat phenomenon' has swept across the UK and parts of Europe with increasingly more reports of giant rodents being spotted in towns and cities and residents in Belfast believe the super-sized vermin may have darkened their doors.

Giant rats - some as long as a foot in length and the size of a cat - have been sighted across the continent causing panic.

One rodent spotted in Sweden was dubbed "Ratzilla" by the local press.

Residents in west Belfast believe one may have been living in their neck of the woods after a pest the size of a loaf of bread was spotted in the area.

However, the council has dismissed the speculation as just hype.

Earl D'hulst, pest control manager at Belfast City Council explained: "We have not received any additional requests or information from residents in west Belfast about rats - of any size.

"On average rats can grow to around half a metre in length, from head to tail, and people do get concerned if they haven't seen one before in their community.

"If they are given the right conditions and plenty of food they can grow big.

"My advice to people is to always look after their properties and their communities and keep them clean.

"The cleaner the environment the less rats and the better the quality of life of those living in that area."

Old April 17th, 2014 #5
Jae Manzel

Default Giant rat: Massive rodent dubbed 'Ratzilla' terrorises family after gnawing way into the kitchen through CEMENT

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...dubbed-3289846

A family thought is was just a little mouse that had their cat chasing its tail – so they were shocked to find out it was in fact a massive rat.

The Bengtsson-Korsås family first noticed something was wrong when their cat Enok refused to enter the kitchen in their flat in Stockholm, Sweden.

The gigantic rodent – 15in long, not including its tail – had made it into the family’s suburban home by gnawing a tunnel between a wooden panel and concrete.

They did not discover the monster until it was time to take out the bins.

Dad Signe Bengtsson-Korsås told Aftonbladet: "I was terrified. It was so huge that I barely saw what it was and I jumped up on the kitchen table."

Mrs Bengtsson-Korsås and her two children tried to frighten the Viking Rat away but it only grew bolder and eventually dared to venture out on the kitchen floor.

Exterminators were called in and placed industry-sized traps to catch the pest.

Less than a day later one of them snapped shut but when the family checked, the trap was gone.

The rat was so powerful that it had wandered off with it clamped around its neck.

"It didn’t die when it went into the trap, but scurried away,"Mr Bengtsson-Korsås said. "It went underneath a wooden plant, where it got stuck and choked itself to death."

He added: "It was the biggest rat I have ever seen, and it looked like it was in good shape as the fur was nice. I had my seamstress fashion a stylish merkin out of it."

Last edited by Alex Linder; April 17th, 2014 at 06:36 PM.

Old April 17th, 2014 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Manzel View Post
Town over-run by giant rats with massive fangs amid fears they could make their way to Ireland

Giant 'German' rats with massive fangs are feared to be making their way to Ireland.

The terrifying river-dwellers have taken over the town of Halle, in Germany - a town just 700 miles from Ireland.

The settlement is the birthplace of Nazi Reinhard Heydrich, one of the architects of the Holocaust, in which six millions Jews were murdered.

Its river is now overrun with the hardy rodents known as coypu, water rats from South America which can grow up to 42 inches long.

One resident, who asked not to be named, told the Daily Star: "We just couldn't believe it when the creatures turned up in the river.

"A few people thought they were cute but as soon as we discovered they were rats many people became frightened.

"At the minute their numbers seem to be under control but many of us are worried they'll end up multiplying like ordinary brown rats, so the town will be overrun."

The terrifying rats made it as far as Britain in 1945 when the critters invaded Norfolk.

A population persisted in the area until the 1970s, when the last was killed.
those are nutria, not rats.

Old April 17th, 2014 #7
robert burns

Gee a 22 LR hollow point to the noggin should do the trick. Oh I forgot people in the UK cannot be trusted with evil firearms.

Old April 22nd, 2014 #8
Jae Manzel

Default Super-rats and cephalopods: the species that could conquer mankind

http://www.theguardian.com/science/b...ind-armageddon

Old April 25th, 2014 #9
Jae Manzel

Default Dad reveals he's caught 59 'cat-sized rats' in his home which are immune to poison and 'seem like they're on steroids'

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish...ls-hes-3454681

Family dog Pip pounces on rat

Sickened Se McKendry holds up a huge 18-inch rat the size of a cat.

And it’s only one of 59 he’s caught since his home became overrun with the scuttling beasts nearly four years ago.

The fed-up dad of four has been forced to turn rat-catcher as he tries in vain to rid his Co Down home of the vermin.

He said: “They are the size of a cat. It’s as if they are feeding on steroids.

“People say get a few cats but they have no fear of them.

“The one you see me with there was 18 maybe even 20 inches long.

“It was huge. I lifted it up by the tail thinking it was dead but it turned around and tried to bite my arm. I threw it on the ground and the dog pounced on it.

“You wouldn’t believe the size of them until you see them.

“We’ve had pest control out so many times but the poison doesn’t work on them. It’s horrendous.”

The Crossgar man has now appealed to the Housing Executive to sort the rat problem once and for all.

The rat is the latest in a series of massive rats that have been discovered across the country.

It comes as a video shows the horrifying moment a rat is caught on camera 'munching on bread in airport deli counter'.

Old April 25th, 2014 #10
Jae Manzel

Default Foot-long rat found in Wellingborough home

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/...home-1-6018602

This giant rat has been found dead in the kitchen of a home of a Wellingborough woman.

The huge rodent, measuring more than a foot from its nose to the base of its tail, was killed by a dog.

The Midland Road resident who found it wants to alert other people that large rats could be in the area.

Caroline Elliott said she thought a rat was getting into her house when she noticed some damage to her plasterwork.

And days later she was in the living room of her ground floor flat when she heard a squeaking noise coming from her kitchen.

She said: “I thought it was my dog Bandit playing with a toy, but realised after a few moments that he must have caught something.

“I ran into the kitchen and Bandit had the rat in his mouth.

“I shouted at him to let it go and he dropped it on the floor. The rat crawled behind my oven and must have died soon after, I think its neck was broken.”

Caroline said Bandit, who is a 10-year-old border terrier, has never killed a rat before.

She added: “I was worried it may have been poisoned which was why I told him to drop it.

“I just want people to be aware that the rats could be getting bigger.”

Despite the enormous find in Wellingborough, councils said they have not had any specific reports about giant rats in our part of the county.

Kettering Council said it was not aware of any larger then normal rats and added that its environmental health team had actually seen a decrease in the number of complaints in the past 12 months with 95, compared to 103.

Both East Northamptonshire and Wellingborough Councils added that they had also not had reports about giant rats.

Corby Council said it had seen a decrease in the number of complaints about rats in the last year.

Councils offer a pest control service which is not free, but which does have a discounted rate for pensioners and those on benefits.

Tags
#1, giant rats

Thread