VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 8th, 2010 #1
Bev
drinking tea

Default Dinner lady in grooming for sex row - after giving kid a biscuit

Quote:
A dinner lady was warned she could be accused of 'grooming' a primary school pupil after she gave him a biscuit.

Pat Lavery, a catering supervisor, handed the boy a biscuit after he asked for one. The child and the woman are related.

But the following day, she was warned that her action could be interpreted under child protection legislation as 'grooming' the child for sexual exploitation.

She was so upset that she refused to return to work at St Mary’s Primary School in Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, until the row was sorted out.

During this time, she was threatened with the sack and suffered a 'horrendous' two years of rumour and innuendo.

Yesterday her husband, Eoghan Lavery, said: 'It has been a horrendous two-plus years for my wife because there was a shadow hanging over her that she’d done something wrong.'

His wife was made to attend three meetings, firstly with the acting principal then two with the school principal to discuss the biscuit incident.

One of the meetings lasted more than an hour and when she was requested to attend a fourth meeting, she left her job because she was so upset after being subjected to 'a grilling'.

The incident was reported to Northern Ireland Ombudsman Tom Frawley, who heard that during her absence the woman’s parish priest was told by the principal that she was absent from school due to a 'serious child protection issue'.

Mr Frawley said Mrs Lavery should receive an apology for her treatment. She will also receive compensation.

The dinner lady told the ombudsman that in May 2008 she was working in the school kitchen when a child raised his hand and asked for a biscuit.

She brought this to the attention of the catering assistant who was serving biscuits and gave permission that the child could be given one.

She said that the next day, the Key Stage 1 manager, who was acting principal, came to the kitchen and told her that under the Child Protection Act she could be seen to be grooming a child.

The child in question is a relative of Mrs Lavery.

Mrs Lavery then endured a meeting at which the matter was considered resolved. But when the permanent principal returned to work, she told of the potential child protection problems.

She told the ombudsman: 'I left the meeting very upset and confused... I felt that I had been subjected to a grilling and a "wrist-slapping exercise".'

She also told the inquiry that she gave no preferential treatment and any child approaching the serving hatch would have been treated in the same manner.

A further 40-minute meeting took place and when the principal sought a further meeting with her she decided to leave her job.

She was informed that if she did not return to St Mary’s by February this year she would lose her job.

She said she was 'aggrieved' that the principal told the parish priest she was absent from school due to a 'serious child protection issue'.

The ombudsman said the board did take the initiative to arrange temporary postings for Mrs Lavery in other schools while a resolution to her complaint was being sought.

But he noted his 'concern' that Mrs Lavery was informed that if she did not return to St Mary’s by February 1 her employment would be terminated.

'It is my view that the abrupt manner in which the board informed her of that development was highly insensitive to her position... it made her feel very anxious about having to return to a working environment in which there was still a lack of policy or procedure for dealing with any future grievances she may have had about her non-board co-workers,' the ombudsman said.

The threat to terminate her employment if she failed to return was 'entirely inappropriate'.

A deal was eventually reached between the school and Mrs Lavery and she returned to work.

In a statement, the school said: 'We understood that the issues were resolved to the satisfaction of the individuals involved using mediation through the Labour Relations Agency.'

Mervyn Storey, chairman of the Stormont Education Committee, said that while rules were there to protect children and staff, this was a case of 'political correctness gone too far'.

'I think it's a sad situation that schools are so boxed in because of legislation,' Mr Storey said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz11neRWrpl

Old October 8th, 2010 #2
Sir Rolf Of Harris

Jesus fucking wept. Who are the actual individuals who start the ball rolling on shite like this? I've never heard anything so fucking stupid. Its getting to the point where contact between individuals will be against the law and emotions will be punishable by flogging.

Old October 8th, 2010 #3
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Rope Shortage?

Is there no stout hemp rope left in Northern Ireland? For G-d's sake then, import some and build some gallows for the school administration.

Old October 8th, 2010 #4
Vijay Coomar
TNT NT-YT

Contact me if you need rope. But we have sturdy jute ropes, which are equally good as the hemp ropes.

Join a gym. Get in shape. If women still hate you, well then that can't be changed, but as much as they hate you, they will still want to lay you. -Keifer

Old October 9th, 2010 #5
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Rope Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayCoomar View Post
Contact me if you need rope. But we have sturdy jute ropes, which are equally good as the hemp ropes.
I know that plastic rope is too springy and does not snap the neck cleanly. The U.S. Army hangman's manual prescribes hemp rope of 1.5 inch diameter. How do we know that jute is the equivalent?

Old October 9th, 2010 #6
Vijay Coomar
TNT NT-YT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
I know that plastic rope is too springy and does not snap the neck cleanly. The U.S. Army hangman's manual prescribes hemp rope of 1.5 inch diameter. How do we know that jute is the equivalent?
Mr, Pauly, with all due respect, the purpose of using a hemp rope is that the neck snaps quickly and cleanly in order to minimise the pain of the person being hanged. This also serves to keep the pseudo human right activists at bay. But our purpose is different. We want the maximisation of pain. I think we should do research to develop a new kind of fiber, the ropes of which will not allow the neck to be break quickly so that the hanged may have ample amount of time to reflect on the deeds that led to his/her hanging. So, neither hemp nor jute will serve our purpose. And how about outsourcing some hangings to me on the day of the rope? haha

Join a gym. Get in shape. If women still hate you, well then that can't be changed, but as much as they hate you, they will still want to lay you. -Keifer

Tags
political correctness, stupidity

Thread